PDA

View Full Version : Harvard prof: Obama drove 'white people totally out of their minds'

Teh One Who Knocks
04-15-2020, 12:20 PM
McKenna Dallmeyer, Texas Senior Campus Correspondent - Campus Reform

https://i.imgur.com/GkJkxjvl.png

Harvard professor and Emmy-winning filmmaker Henry Louis Gates Jr says former President Barack Obama "drove white people totally out of their minds," and that fueled white voters' support for President Donald Trump.

Gates currently serves as the Director of the Hutchins Center for African and African American Research at Harvard University in addition to producing civil rights themed films. He has been awarded 55 honorary degrees and became the first African American scholar to be awarded the National Humanities Medal.

In 2009, Gates was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct after a neighbor mistakenly thought he was breaking into a house. After Gates entered what was actually his home, a policeman arrived in response to the report. The officer asked Gates to “step outside,” but he refused and grew belligerent calling the officer "racist.”

President Barack Obama, a friend of Gates, responded to the incident by stating that the Cambridge Police Department acted "stupidly.”

Charges against Gates were later dropped.

In an interview earlier this year with the New York Times Magazine, Gates credited what the Times Magazine characterized as white people's “resentment” toward African Americans' successes for Donald Trump’s victory in the 2016 election.

“Is it too simplistic to say that the energy driving the current moment is also a reaction to black progress and Obama’s becoming president,” asked the New York Times magazine.

Gates responded by saying he does not know. However, he quickly added that the notion of Michelle and Barack Obama driving “white people totally out of their minds” is “partly true” and that “between Martin Luther King’s death and now, the black middle class has doubled and the black upper-middle class has quadrupled” while white workers’ wages have stagnated.

He says that this “curve of rising expectations” being "interrupted" is what caused white people to "go nuts" and subsequently vote President Donald Trump into office.

"So you might look at a black family in the White House, all these black people who joined the upper-middle class, and there’s a kind of collective “What the [expletive]?” said Gates.

“To go from [the Obamas] to Trump is a seismic revolution that is the result of a collapse of expectation,” remarked the professor.

“This professor is obviously mistaken as Trump had more support in the black community than Mitt Romney, John McCain or even George Bush…"Joel Patrick, an African American conservative social media influencer, told Campus Reform.

Gates has donated thousands of dollars to the presidential and senatorial campaigns of Hillary Clinton and Kamala Harris.

Muddy
04-15-2020, 12:25 PM
You're wrong Gates.. Obamas policys and the lefts penchant for disarray drove people to vote for Trump. Not one thing to do with his color in sensible minded people.

PorkChopSandwiches
04-15-2020, 06:31 PM
Nope, its cuz he was black

RBP
04-15-2020, 10:20 PM
Nobody is pissed off that black people are entering the middle class. :lol: That's completely made up.

lost in melb.
04-15-2020, 11:59 PM
Nobody is pissed off that black people are entering the middle class. :lol: That's completely made up.

with respect, in some pockets in the South that might not be true. But for the most of the US, yes

RBP
04-16-2020, 01:57 AM
with respect, in some pockets in the South that might not be true. But for the most of the US, yes

If you have evidence of that, please post it.

lost in melb.
04-16-2020, 05:42 AM
If you have evidence of that, please post it.

I don't have evidence, I'm in Australia here...:)

But I lived in white conservative West Virginia. They're not racist until too many minorities, especially black fellas start getting elected and running stuff. If you have no acknowledgment of what I'm talking about, then no amount of explaining on my behalf will make you understand :dunno:

DemonGeminiX
04-16-2020, 09:09 AM

But I lived in white conservative West Virginia. They're not racist until too many minorities, especially black fellas start getting elected and running stuff. If you have no acknowledgment of what I'm talking about, then no amount of explaining on my behalf will make you understand :dunno:

I live in the deep South, and have lived down here for close to 30 years. The town I live in recently had a black mayor. He was mayor for the better part of 8 years, before he lost his last reelection bid. My town is majority white, and none of us broke out the white robes and hoods and lynched the guy when he was elected or reelected for a second term. We all just paid attention to what he did as mayor and decided whether or not to keep him as mayor based on his performance. The first time he ran for reelection, he won, and by a large margin. He was doing a good job. The second time, he lost. He lost because of a scandal involving city fund mismanagement. It got pretty bad for him, legal-wise. On a local level, no political career survives that kind of thing. An assertion can't stand if there exists one counterexample to it. Sorry, you lose. And screw you for trying to label us all racists, you presumptuous jerk.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-16-2020, 09:47 AM
I live in the deep South, and have lived down here for close to 30 years. The town I live in recently had a black mayor. He was mayor for the better part of 8 years, before he lost his last reelection bid. My town is majority white, and none of us broke out the white robes and hoods and lynched the guy when he was elected or reelected for a second term. We all just paid attention to what he did as mayor and decided whether or not to keep him as mayor based on his performance. The first time he ran for reelection, he won, and by a large margin. He was doing a good job. The second time, he lost. He lost because of a scandal involving city fund mismanagement. It got pretty bad for him, legal-wise. On a local level, no political career survives that kind of thing. An assertion can't stand if there exists one counterexample to it. Sorry, you lose. And screw you for trying to label us all racists, you presumptuous jerk.

Race traitor [-(

RBP
04-16-2020, 10:18 AM

Ah, the "enlightened ones" argument. Love it. Yes, I will never understand, because I am not enlightened enough. :tup:

But the specific quote from the OP was "all these black people who joined the upper-middle class, and there’s a kind of collective 'What the [expletive]'". No, there's not. The only time I have seen anything close to that was when white people were denied jobs because of racial quotas. Not because a racial group was making progress collectively. There's no collective view that black people should be forcefully relegated to poverty. And you have as much access to data from AU as I do from US...

Does racism exist? Of course. That wasn't the question. And it isn't the answer to every racial question. But it is used that way every day.

Case in point: Just look up the articles about COVID19 racial disparities.

lost in melb.
04-16-2020, 12:59 PM
Ah, the "enlightened ones" argument. Love it. Yes, I will never understand, because I am not enlightened enough. :tup:

But the specific quote from the OP was "all these black people who joined the upper-middle class, and there’s a kind of collective 'What the [expletive]'". No, there's not. The only time I have seen anything close to that was when white people were denied jobs because of racial quotas. Not because a racial group was making progress collectively. There's no collective view that black people should be forcefully relegated to poverty. And you have as much access to data from AU as I do from US...

Does racism exist? Of course. That wasn't the question. And it isn't the answer to every racial question. But it is used that way every day.

Case in point: Just look up the articles about COVID19 racial disparities.

No, I don't mean that at all. It's just too hard to type out my personal experiences and conversations. I Don't really have time to look up statistics.l (And what would that prove anyway).Would be a conversation between us where we could compare notes so to speak

lost in melb.
04-16-2020, 01:02 PM

That's fine, apart from the personal attack. I don't devalue at your experience at all. You're probably in a bit more of an enlightened area. I think poverty is a big influence, particularly economic devastation brings out the worst of people. I'm talking about subtle racism here, based on group behavior, not individuals. My feeling is that exists a bit and is stronger in some areas than others.

Muddy
04-16-2020, 01:49 PM
There are definitely people out there that have an irrational fear and opinion of the black folk out there.. Whats funny about it though is those same people I have probably the same opinion about them because in a lot of cases they are very poor and uneducated themselves.