PDA

View Full Version : Clubbers warned over 'higher strength' ecstasy pills

redred
07-19-2011, 06:26 PM
Ecstasy users are being warned about a rise in the number of higher strength pills available at clubs and festivals.

In recent years almost all of the pills sold by dealers as ecstasy have really been made from amphetamines, caffeine and other stimulants.

But most of the tablets seized at festivals this year contained MDMA, the stronger chemical first used to make the drug in the late 1980s.

Drug charities say they are seeing a similar trend in other parts of the UK.

"This can cause real problems for people who are used to taking half a dozen tablets on a night out," said Harry Shapiro at DrugScope.

"The main danger when you take ecstasy is ending up in A&E with heatstroke and that danger increases with the amount of MDMA in the pill."

Ecstasy users who drink too much water on a night out are also vulnerable to a condition called hyponatremia or water intoxication.

As a result, the level of salt in the body is diluted to a dangerous level which can, in rare cases, prove fatal.

'Noticeably stronger'
1.5% of 16 to 59-year-olds who fill out the annual British crime survey say they take ecstasy at least once a year.

One twenty-four-year old, who didn't want to be named, said he takes it once a month when he goes clubbing.

"About a year ago there was a change in the type of pills out there," he said.

"All of a sudden we started getting ones which I'm told are like the rave scene in the early 90s.

"They are noticeably stronger, so whereas before you would be taking three or four a night, now you can have one and get the same effect."

Figures from this year's Glastonbury Festival appear to back this up.

Most of the tablets recovered in 25 separate seizures contained MDMA, according to early police figures seen by DrugScope.

In 2009 just one in 12 pills tested positive for the same chemical.

Newsbeat understands that drug testers at this year's T in the Park festival in Kinross, Scotland, reported similar results.

The Forensic Science Service, which tests drugs for the police, has also seen the same general trend over the last 12 months.

Two-tier market
Forensic drug experts say it's very difficult to pin down why the make-up of pills changes in this way.

Some think it reflects an increase in the availability of the base chemicals used to make the drug.

DrugScope
Others think the growth of new compounds like mephedrone has forced dealers to offer a stronger alternative.

One former ecstasy dealer told Newsbeat there is now a 'dual market' for the drug with weaker pills selling for around £3 and higher strength MDMA pills trading for between £10 and £15.

The findings come after police warned that ecstasy tablets six times stronger than normal were being sold in the west of Scotland.

The deaths of two men in Ayrshire have been linked to the pills although final tests are not yet complete and detectives will only say that investigations are ongoing.

Drug charities say they have seen other reports of users caught out by the change.

In early July Edinburgh-based Crew 2000 issued a warning to users about the new wave of higher strength pills.

"We have seen people dropping a number of pills and ending up freaking out," said the charity's director John Arthur.

"For some people it's their first real ecstasy. As they have been used to pills made from legal highs and caffeine, they are not used to the real thing."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/14186111

redred
07-19-2011, 06:27 PM
so does this means people will be getting what they pay for ?

PorkChopSandwiches
07-19-2011, 06:29 PM
Who the fuck eats half a dozen in a night. You guys must have some weak shit out there, if you took 6 of the shit I see out here you would be in the ER for sure.

AntZ
07-19-2011, 06:30 PM
so does this means people will be getting what they pay for ?

No! The pushers will just start cutting the pills in half and doubling their money!

redred
07-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Who the fuck eats half a dozen in a night. You guys must have some weak shit out there, if you took 6 of the shit I see out here you would be in the ER for sure.

at one stage it was that bad ,same with coke i know people that got busted and when the police tested the strength it was 10-12% pure

PorkChopSandwiches
07-19-2011, 06:38 PM
at one stage it was that bad ,same with coke i know people that got busted and when the police tested the strength it was 10-12% pure

Thats why you have to turn it into crack, then you get back to pure :tup:

Muddy
07-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Thats why you have to turn it into crack, then you get back to pure :tup:

Not really... some's better than others...

*edit* as I've been told.. :wheres the fucking wink smiley:

PorkChopSandwiches
07-19-2011, 06:41 PM
crack is crack ;)

Hal-9000
07-19-2011, 07:05 PM
crack is cooked off cocaine...ecstasy is not :lol:

I hate when they do these warnings...then kids go after the stuff that much harder trying to prove something.

"I took 5 of those purple ecstasy tabs, look at me dudes..."

AntZ
07-19-2011, 07:10 PM
crack is crack ;)

http://i.imgur.com/3vHr5.gif

PorkChopSandwiches
07-19-2011, 07:24 PM
http://i.imgur.com/3vHr5.gif

:lol:

Acid Trip
07-19-2011, 08:08 PM

I've taken 15 pills in a single night. Pure MDMA will not hurt you if you keep taking more, it's the additives (aka cut) that will fuck you up beyond a few pills. I've seen pills cut with Meth, DXM, caffeine, 2CB, and a host of other things.

All ecstasy users should own home testing kits. A pill someone says is pure can have all kinds of crazy shit in it. My kit has saved my ass from buying scary pills a few times.

Joebob034
07-19-2011, 08:24 PM
It's about time. I'm tired of this weak-ass shit.

Muddy
07-19-2011, 08:26 PM
I like to smoke banana peels...

PorkChopSandwiches
07-19-2011, 08:29 PM
they call him mellow yelloooooooow

Hal-9000
07-19-2011, 10:12 PM
I like to huff gas and sit on traffic cones

DemonGeminiX
07-19-2011, 10:19 PM
I like to huff gas and sit on traffic cones

When you fart, is it noticeably louder?

:-k

Hal-9000
07-19-2011, 10:35 PM
When you fart, is it noticeably louder?

:-k

Quite the contrary...when I fart there is no noise, only the sound of a large vacuum opening up and

and I can't complete the post :lol: :lol:
crap