PDA

View Full Version : Texas judge’s 30-day coronavirus mask order blasted as 'ultimate government overreach'

Teh One Who Knocks
04-23-2020, 10:25 AM
By Dom Calicchio | Fox News

A judge in Harris County, Texas, on Wednesday ordered residents to start wearing face masks in public for 30 days beginning next week -- or face a possible fine.

But Judge Lina Hidalgo’s action, intended to help stem the spread of the coronavirus in the No. 3 most populous county in the U.S., drew immediate pushback – including from the state’s lieutenant governor, who called the move, “the ultimate government overreach,” and U.S. Rep. Dan Crenshaw, who wrote that "commonsense guidelines" should never lead to "unjust tyranny."

Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick noted in a Twitter message that Hidalgo’s order -- affecting some 4 million Texans in Houston and some nearby communities -- was announced on the same day as plans surfaced for closing a costly temporary hospital “because it wasn’t needed.”

“These kind of confused government policies fuel public anger – and rightfully so,” wrote Patrick, who has been a vocal advocate for reopening the Texas economy and getting people back to work.
Crenshaw said health guidelines should be "emphatically promoted," but he objected to the punitive aspects of the judge's order.
The order by Hidalgo -- whose role as a county judge in Texas is similar to that of "county executive" in other states -- is scheduled to take effect Monday. It requires that people in public areas or in close proximity to other people cover their nose and mouth with a mask or other covering – or face a possible $1,000 fine, FOX 26 of Houston reported.

The order does not apply for exercising or outdoor walks and does not apply to children under 10, the report said.

Aside from Patrick, Hidalgo’s order also drew backlash from a Houston police officers’ union, which called the order “draconian,” and said it was seeking guidance from the state attorney general’s office on whether the fine for offenders was legal, the Houston ouston HoustonHChronicle reported.
“It is clear the so-called leader of Harris County lacks any critical thinking skills,” President Joe Gamaldi of Houston Police Officers’ Union Lodge 110 wrote in a statement. “But let me assure the public, our officers do!”

Hildalgo responded by saying the police were “entitled to their opinions. She added that she wasn’t looking to impose “a police state,” but rather was looking to slow the spread of the virus.
“It’s something we have to do for the sake of our safety, our lives and our economy,” the judge said, according to the Chronicle.

The city of Houston reported 27 new infections Wednesday, and for the third straight day reported no deaths related to the virus, the newspaper reported.

Griffin
04-23-2020, 12:50 PM
Funny how 6 months ago it was illegal to walk into some buildings and other areas with your face covered.

PorkChopSandwiches
04-23-2020, 03:45 PM
I walk into the liquor store with my mask on and yell THIS IS A HOLD UP

KevinD
04-23-2020, 08:26 PM
This dumb bitch is our (well, not really mine since I dont live in Harris county anymore) version of AOC.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-24-2020, 10:18 AM
By Brie Stimson | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/PEILCyfl.jpg

A Texas county judge’s 30-day coronavirus mask mandate is being challenged by a local doctor who claims the order requiring Houston-area residents to wear masks in public is “unconstitutional.”

"If Judge Hidalgo's Order is not declared unconstitutional and void, once this virus passes, the rights we are afforded under the Texas Constitution will forever be damaged,” Dr. Steven Hotze, who is also a conservative activist, said of Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo’s order in a court petition, according to the Texas Tribune.

Hotze also claims Hidalgo doesn’t have the authority to issue an order more restrictive than the governor's, which doesn't require masks. The doctor organized a protest Thursday in which hundreds of demonstrators opposed Hidalgo's order.

In Texas, a county judge is the equivalent of a county executive in other parts of the U.S. Harris County, which includes Houston and some nearby communities, is the third most populous county in the nation, home to more than 4 million residents.

Hidalgo enacted the temporary mask order, which is scheduled to take effect Monday, after other large Texas cities like Austin, Dallas and San Antonio issued similar orders. Other areas of the country have also started requiring masks in public, including Los Angeles and New York state.

In his petition, Hotze objects to punishments for violators, such as a $1,000 fine.

"The heavy hand of local government will fine individuals who refuse to wear a mask, fail to wash their hands, get within six feet of another, or inadvertently touch their face,” the petition says.

“Folks have been fantastic, but we did want to make them enforceable,” Hidalgo said of the rules and the possible fines.

She said police have discretion regarding enforcement.

Assistant Harris County Attorney Seth Hopkins spoke in support of Hidalgo's order.

“There’s no constitutional right not to wash your hands; no constitutional right during a pandemic to be allowed to spread a deadly virus to other people," Hopkins told Houston's to KTRK-TV.

Robert Soard, the first assistant county attorney, said Texas law gives local judges the authority to “control the movement of persons and the occupancy of premises in that area” during a disaster declaration, the Houston Chronicle reported.

"The past couple of weeks have shown our community has come together - as we always do during times of crisis - to save human life. The public health interventions we've enacted with the support of our residents is already making a difference with over 4,500 lives saved, but we cannot let our guard down," Hidalgo said in a statement, according to the Tribune.

Hundreds of protesters

Hundreds of protesters organized by Hotze also gathered outside of the county administration building Wednesday to denounce the order as a violation of their rights.

“I’m tired of the government trying to tell us what to do," one protester told KPRC-TV in Houston.

A Hidalgo spokesman accused Hotze and other critics of "politicizing" the outbreak.

“Politicizing a public health crisis is the worst outcome imaginable for the long-term health and safety and our community, and we urge everyone to continue taking this seriously,” Hidalgo spokesman Rafael Lemaitre said, according to the Chronicle.

Hotze previously sued Hidalgo over her stay-at-home order that limited church services, claiming it violated residents' First Amendment rights. Once Hidalgo changed the order to make church services “essential” he asked for it to be dismissed by the Texas Supreme Court but is still challenging it in a state district court. He is also suing Gov. Greg Abbott and Attorney General Ken Paxton over church social distancing restrictions, according to the Chronicle.

Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick on Wednesday slammed Hidalgo’s order as an “overreach.”

“Her abuse of the use of executive orders is the ultimate government overreach. These kind of confused government policies fuel public anger - and rightfully so,” he said.

Harris County leads the state in the number of cases, KTRK reported.

RBP
04-24-2020, 01:48 PM
I'm glad this shit is FINALLY getting challenged in court. Should have been happening from day 1. Power hungry cunts, the lot of them.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-24-2020, 02:41 PM
I'm glad this shit is FINALLY getting challenged in court. Should have been happening from day 1. Power hungry cunts, the lot of them.

Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me
Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me!