PDA

View Full Version : Women’s studies lecturer worries a UK-developed COVID-19 vaccine will increase patriotism

Teh One Who Knocks
04-24-2020, 12:07 PM
DAVE HUBER, ASSISTANT EDITOR - The College Fix

A former university diversity center researcher is concerned that if a coronavirus vaccine is developed in the United Kingdom, it will spur an increase in patriotism.

Emily Cousens, who’s working on her PhD in “vulnerability and gender” and teaches a women’s studies course (at Oxford Brookes University and the University of Oxford respectively), writes in the Huffington Post that she doesn’t want Oxford developing a COVID-19 cure because researchers say rich countries will “hoard supplies” … and the UK will prioritize Britons.

In addition, Cousens says a successful vaccine will make folks overlook the UK’s “devastating delay” in reacting to the pandemic, such as Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s concerns over things like “individual liberty.” Seriously.

“We’ll forget the lessons that the pandemic has taught us so far: that the UK and the US are in fact not exceptions at the global stage,” she writes. “That we are not only vulnerable but can also afford to learn lessons from countries, regardless of whether we have a special relationship with them – such as South Korea. That being white, male and Oxford-educated may not be the only criteria for effective leadership.”

Cousens also chides the “war-time” response of British powers-that-be: The enemy is “a microbe,” not a nation, and as such we need a “collective solidarity.”

From the piece:

Dr Claas Kirchhelle, fellow of the Research and Policy Unit at the Oxford Martin School, confirms that “there has been a radical sharing of information and a very rapid sequencing of the pathogen’s genetic code.” It is clear, then, that international co-operation saves lives.

But do our Oxford-educated leaders think like this? Coronavirus is a global epidemic. Yet, rather than motivating the UK to take a proud role at the global stage, as leaders like Macron have urged, the UK is increasingly resorting to patriotism in response. …

The race is on and researchers at Oxford are doing vital, life-saving work. But races have winners and losers. If my university is the first to develop the vaccine, I’m worried that it will be used as it has been in the past, to fulfil [sic] its political, patriotic function as proof of British excellence.

On her article’s Twitter thread, Cousens isn’t faring very well.

“Isn’t the roll of a scientist partly to find answers to fix things. Not find things and not bother using it,” wrote one respondent. “I can’t fathom this level of national self-hatred,” wrote another.
According to her faculty page, Cousens was a researcher at Oxford Brookes’ Centre for Diversity Policy Research and Practice, and founded the Free School of Critical Feminisms, a gratis “intimate feminist summer school.”

RBP
04-24-2020, 01:43 PM
I loathe these ignorant bitches. :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-24-2020, 01:46 PM
How DARE someone take pride in their country :x

deebakes
04-24-2020, 07:40 PM
Are you sure this isn't a babylon bee article? :?

Teh One Who Knocks
04-24-2020, 08:03 PM
Hold on, how do you get a doctorate in “vulnerability and gender” ?? :huh:

RBP
04-24-2020, 08:11 PM
Hold on, how do you get a doctorate in “vulnerability and gender” ?? :huh:

Because fuck you, oppressor. That's how.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-24-2020, 08:50 PM
Because fuck you, oppressor. That's how.:-s

Okay then, what kinda job are you qualified for with a doctorate in “vulnerability and gender”?

RBP
04-24-2020, 09:00 PM
:-s

Okay then, what kinda job are you qualified for with a doctorate in “vulnerability and gender”?

Teaching other activists to terminate your oppression by any means necessary. Basically Nazi Hunters. If you had a chance to kill Hitler before the Holocaust, would you have done it?!?!

Exactly like that.

Godfather
04-25-2020, 12:33 AM
I read the huffpo article and it's just pure babbling. How can you make such a useless effort of a complaint, provide zero alternatives to your already shitty gripe, and then publish it? I'm astounded...

lost in melb.
04-26-2020, 12:10 AM
I would like a picture of her c*** before making a final decision here

RBP
04-26-2020, 12:31 AM

She all cunt. 100%. Or did you mean cock?

Godfather
04-26-2020, 12:34 AM

:lol:

I like the way her twitter handle is "dr ___." Is it just me or should we have nipped that in the bud ages ago. If you have a PhD in Women's Studies, you should not be able to call yourself 'doctor' IMO. In Uni I only had 1 or 2 profs go by Doctor and they were always the biggest egos.

lost in melb.
04-26-2020, 01:39 AM
:lol:

I like the way her twitter handle is "dr ___." Is it just me or should we have nipped that in the bud ages ago. If you have a PhD in Women's Studies, you should not be able to call yourself 'doctor' IMO. In Uni I only had 1 or 2 profs go by Doctor and they were always the biggest egos.

She could be...just a little bit insecure :)

lost in melb.
04-26-2020, 01:40 AM
She all cunt. 100%. Or did you mean cock?

I was all ready to forgive

:sad2: