PDA

View Full Version : Donald Trump's disinfectant coronavirus suggestion horrifies medics, leaves some Americans confused

lost in melb.
04-25-2020, 12:33 AM
Medical experts and disinfectant manufacturers have issued warnings in the wake of US President Donald Trump's suggestion that injecting disinfectant could be a possible cure for coronavirus.
Updated 24/04/2020
By AAP - SBS

US President Donald Trump's musings on whether injecting disinfectants might treat the coronavirus have horrified medical professionals.

The comments have also raised fresh concerns that Mr Trump's stream-of-consciousness briefings could push frightened people to poison themselves with untested treatments.

An international chorus of doctors and health experts urged people not to drink or inject disinfectant on Friday.

A day earlier, Mr Trump suggested scientists should investigate inserting the cleaning agent into the body as a way to cure COVID-19, the respiratory illness caused by the new coronavirus....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sbs.com.au/v1/article/donald-trump-s-disinfectant-coronavirus-suggestion-horrifies-medics-leaves-some-americans-confused/b4cb4c3f-4d66-4e77-b229-a6510e5464f0%3famp=1

lost in melb.
04-25-2020, 12:34 AM
You are new appointee to Trump's publicity team. 24 hours to spin this. Go!

:popcorn:

DemonGeminiX
04-25-2020, 02:15 AM
He's trolling the media because he knows they'll run with it like idiots. He was being facetious.

DemonGeminiX
04-25-2020, 02:16 AM
Oh, and by the way, you fell for it too.

lost in melb.
04-25-2020, 02:35 AM
He's trolling the media because he knows they'll run with it like idiots. He was being facetious.

Oh, and by the way, you fell for it too.

Wanna see if Perhaps agrees with you :popcorn:

Oh, by the way

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSz62efCkkeM15sUDC7pNOEseafgJX eQsETd6stLlxwuljqFZD1&usqp=CAU

DemonGeminiX
04-25-2020, 02:40 AM

Oh, by the way

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSz62efCkkeM15sUDC7pNOEseafgJX eQsETd6stLlxwuljqFZD1&usqp=CAU

I really don't care if anybody agrees with me. I stopped caring about stuff like that back in junior high school.

DemonGeminiX
04-25-2020, 02:45 AM
Also, I actually didn't hear what he actually said, but here you go:

Watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwVQsrxCgBs

DemonGeminiX
04-25-2020, 03:33 AM
So yeah, Lost. When you actually listen to what the man said, he didn't say at all what the media is reporting he said. Initially, I didn't listen to any of the shit, because the biased coverage's not really worth paying attention to, and it hasn't been for 3 and a half years. But after listening to what he said, I got it wrong, and you got it wrong, and the media got it wrong. And anybody else coming in here to comment on this without actually listening to what the guy said's gonna get it wrong. And anybody just going by what the biased media's saying he said is gonna get it wrong. There's a whole lot of wrong goin' around, and it's not Trump.

If you can man up and admit that you're wrong (like I can, and like I did), and you want me to delete this thread for you, then just let me know. I'll be happy to. :)

But the media's not reporting what he actually said, and admittedly, he speaks in a disjointed manner that leaves the door open for the media to pull this dishonest horseshit. Face it, he's not a disciplined public speaker. Regardless, if the media actually had scruples and acted with journalistic ethics and integrity and didn't pick political sides, and didn't look for every opportunity to misrepresent the things that were said by the people that they don't like, then we wouldn't be having this conversation to begin with.

lost in melb.
04-25-2020, 07:24 AM
I've watched the video. We'll never know... I guess the question is is that a sensible thing to say at a press conference :think:

I really don't care if anybody agrees with me. I stopped caring about stuff like that back in junior high school.

Tell that to Maestro :meatspin:

DemonGeminiX
04-25-2020, 08:06 AM
We'll never know? We do know. Bill Whittle explained it clearly, albeit a bit passionately.

OK, you can't admit when you're wrong. Fine. You want to act like a child? That's on you.

perrhaps
04-25-2020, 09:16 AM

Oh, by the way

It doesn't make any difference what he said, because as we all know, this will miraculously go away by the end of this month.

lost in melb.
04-25-2020, 09:41 AM
It doesn't make any difference what he said, because as we all know, this will miraculously go away by the end of this month.

So late? Expecting by the end of the week :obama:

lost in melb.
04-25-2020, 10:45 AM
We'll never know? We do know. Bill Whittle explained it clearly, albeit a bit passionately.

OK, you can't admit when you're wrong. Fine. You want to act like a child? That's on you.

I don't know who Bill is. All I saw was a press conference with Trump talking about using disinfectant to cure covid patients. Obviously it was taken seriously given the backlash from the disinfectant companies and the medical community. I don't think you can really blame msm for this one :dunno:

Like perhaps said, there appear to be no consequences for what he says or does.

RBP
04-25-2020, 12:40 PM
I don't know who Bill is. All I saw was a press conference with Trump talking about using disinfectant to cure covid patients. Obviously it was taken seriously given the backlash from the disinfectant companies and the medical community. I don't think you can really blame msm for this one :dunno:

Like perhaps said, there appear to be no consequences for what he says or does.

That's a stretch. The disinfectant companies have to cover themselves for the liability of complete retards who take everything on Facebook and the MSM as good logic. Eating Tide Pods is the classic example.

I absolutely can point to the MSM on this shit. They are completely irresponsible with their reporting.

Trump doesn't say anything without purpose. Why would he do that? What's the persuasion (manipulation) advantage he gains? That's the question. The media is talking about invoking the 25th amendment. Who's the retard in that scenario?

lost in melb.
04-25-2020, 01:26 PM
I have no idea what he's doing. Do you know why he was bringing up people being injected or eating disinfectant?

He's the leader of the free world. You know this stuff reverberates all around the world.

P. S. The most likely idiots to start injecting disinfectant would be his supporters, surely?

RBP
04-25-2020, 01:57 PM
I have no idea what he's doing. Do you know why he was bringing up people being injected or eating disinfectant?

He's the leader of the free world. You know this stuff reverberates all around the world.

P. S. The most likely idiots to start injecting disinfectant would be his supporters, surely?

First, you know he didn't say that. But hyperbole aside, the reverberation is not the direct words of the President, it's the coverage and interpretation. Which you also already know.

I don't think anyone is going to inject disinfectant. That's more hyperbole designed to feed the confirmation bias.

Why would he even bring it up? I'm going for his masterful ability to own the news cycle every single day - love him or hate him, everyone is talking about him. I'll assume he wanted a distraction to change the subject, but I am not as skilled with persuasion techniques.

RBP
04-25-2020, 02:04 PM
And by the way, the UV light treatment he WAS talking about is real and actively being tested.

https://apnews.com/b44f4531071e6204023f7b8e16f59d4b

https://i.imgur.com/zP09BHG.jpg?1

RBP
04-25-2020, 02:09 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Pro Tip: If you find yourself bleating, &quot;But he literally said that,&quot; you are demonstrating that you don&#39;t understand how words work. Meaning requires context. It never matters what someone LITERALLY said. It only matters what they meant, which context can help you discern.</p>&mdash; Scott Adams (@ScottAdamsSays) <a href="https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1254030542871293952?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 25, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script> ..

Griffin
04-25-2020, 02:58 PM
So scientists at Cedars-Sinai are using injectable disenfectants, interesting. :-k

Pony
04-25-2020, 03:49 PM

The idiots that drank fish tank cleaner because it had chloroquine in it were leftists.

And the people that watch the networks like msnbc that are non stop feeding misinformation are mostly leftists.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-25-2020, 08:12 PM
If it's reported by the TDS News Networks, then it is all 100% true :nono:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-25-2020, 08:26 PM
By Charles Creitz | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/WZbkCEnl.jpg

"The Five" co-host Greg Gutfeld reacted Friday to the media accusing President Trump of suggesting Americans inject caustic chemical disinfectants into their bodies to fight coronavirus.

"I mean, 1,000 days with Trump as president and we still have an entire industry mobilized by an offhand comment," Gutfeld said, later adding "How can any adult believe seriously believe that he was saying, 'Hey, people should inject Clorox into their body'?"

Trump said Friday that he was being sarcastic when he made the statement during Thursday's White House coronavirus task force briefing. Following a presentation on the effects of sunlight, heat and humidity as well as surface disinfectants on the coronavirus, the president said: "Is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or, or almost a cleaning? Because you see it gets on the lungs and it does a tremendous number, so it will be interesting to check that.

So [for] that, you're going to have to use medical doctor," Trump added. "But it sounds, it sounds interesting to me. So we'll see."

Gutfeld said Friday that Trump's remarks could be treated as being potentially "off-the-cuff" or "sarcasm" and questioned whether serious adults actually believe the president was advising "injecting Clorox into people."

Gutfeld said some people have a "pre-existing condition" to believe the worst spin on whatever the president says or does.

"I would challenge the media one day to look at somebody they don't like and try to assume the best of their comments," he said, incredulously noting that some news outlets took the time to interview experts about whether injecting people with chemical solvents is advisable.

"This is actually a news cycle," he said. As other stuff is going on. This is hilarious.".

Teh One Who Knocks
04-25-2020, 08:37 PM
By Ashe Schow - The Daily Wire

https://i.imgur.com/RWZlu1Ql.jpg

After President Donald Trump’s Thursday comments regarding UV light and disinfectant went viral (with left-wing pundits and media outlets claiming he told people to inject themselves with disinfectant and drink bleach), multiple news agencies reported local spikes in calls to poison control. As with the inflated claims about what Trump said, the idea that people started injecting themselves with household cleaner were overblown and falsified.

For example, the New York Daily News reported there was an unusually high number of New Yorkers contacted city health authorities over fears that they had ingested bleach or other household cleaners in the 18 hours that followed President Trump’s bogus claim that injecting such products could cure coronavirus.”

As Reason’s Elizabeth Nolan Brown reported, however, that was not the case.

“[T]he article makes no mention of anyone deliberately consuming household cleaners. It simply states that 30 people called the city’s poison control hotline ‘over fears that they had ingested bleach or other household cleaners,’” Nolan Brown reported. “Fearing that you ingested something doesn’t jibe with having intentionally consumed that substance.”

Further, the Daily News reporters compare the number of calls this year to those during the same period last year – when people weren’t using household cleaners as stringently as they are now and thus not risking as much exposure.

“[O]ne needn’t do a detailed analysis to surmise why exposure to things like Lysol and bleach—and fears about this exposure—might be up this month over April 2019. And one needn’t reach for the ridiculous explanation that it’s because people deliberately consumed it en masse after listening to Trump. We are in the midst of a pandemic right now and we were not in April 2019. Of course more people are being exposed to household disinfectants at the moment than were during this time last year,” Nolan Brown wrote.

The Daily News also noted that no one died or needed to be hospitalized after calling into Poison Control, which Nolan Brown said suggested “their exposure was minimal and not of the Lysol-mouthwash variety.”

Other media outlets used the number of calls to Poison Control in March to knock Trump, Nolan Brown reported. An article from WDRB about a “spike” in calls to Poison Control was published the day after Trump’s comments, and while it doesn’t specifically mention those comments, it does include a video that tacks what Trump said onto the end of the same report. Further, the numbers included in WDRB’s report are from March, long before Trump’s April 23 briefing.

WCIA in Illinois also blamed Trump for two calls to the state’s Poison Control hotline for misusing cleaning products. The outlet mentioned Illinois Poison Control spokesperson Danny Chun flat out saying the calls were nothing new and that calls to the hotline had increased by 36% during the pandemic.

Fox 5 in Baltimore also decided to publish an article the day after Trump’s comments about an increase in calls to Poison Control, which included information from “the past six weeks.”

The CDC also released a report this week about increased exposure to harmful toxins through the increased use of household cleaners, and people have used the report to hit Trump, even though the CDC’s data stops at March 31, Nolan Brown reported.

lost in melb.
04-26-2020, 01:24 AM
First, you know he didn't say that. But hyperbole aside, the reverberation is not the direct words of the President, it's the coverage and interpretation. Which you also already know.

I don't think anyone is going to inject disinfectant. That's more hyperbole designed to feed the confirmation bias.

Why would he even bring it up? I'm going for his masterful ability to own the news cycle every single day - love him or hate him, everyone is talking about him. I'll assume he wanted a distraction to change the subject, but I am not as skilled with persuasion techniques.

“we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning?”

:?

lost in melb.
04-26-2020, 01:25 AM
And by the way, the UV light treatment he WAS talking about is real and actively being tested.

https://apnews.com/b44f4531071e6204023f7b8e16f59d4b

https://i.imgur.com/zP09BHG.jpg?1

Ok, so he wasn't being sarcastic? :?

lost in melb.
04-26-2020, 01:29 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Pro Tip: If you find yourself bleating, "But he literally said that," you are demonstrating that you don't understand how words work. Meaning requires context. It never matters what someone LITERALLY said. It only matters what they meant, which context can help you discern.</p>— Scott Adams (@ScottAdamsSays) <a href="https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1254030542871293952?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 25, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script> ..

Thanks Scott for telling us how it is. Where would the world be without your profound declarations of how we are to interpret meaning. And of course we can apply that to all the leftists comments as well :rolleyes:

https://i.imgur.com/2Ozj9Pi.jpg

lost in melb.
04-26-2020, 01:35 AM
So scientists at Cedars-Sinai are using injectable disenfectants, interesting. :-k

The idiots that drank fish tank cleaner because it had chloroquine in it were leftists.

And the people that watch the networks like msnbc that are non stop feeding misinformation are mostly leftists.

If it's reported by the TDS News Networks, then it is all 100% true :nono:

Meanwhile...

https://i.ibb.co/TvTJf0b/covid.jpg (https://ibb.co/8KBGCxd)

RBP
04-26-2020, 02:33 AM
Interpreting his comments as suggesting people inject/ingest household disinfectants, and then lying about people actually doing it, is nothing but cognitive distortion. I'm not sure that there's anything more for me to say.

As for the chart, are infection numbers relevant at this point? We already know the infection numbers are going to continue to climb and comparative statistics are not pure, but tied to testing levels. There was never an expectation of lowering infection numbers and I suspect if the chart went the other way, people so inclined would argue the opposite as proof of the same complaint.

DemonGeminiX
04-26-2020, 03:01 AM
He can't admit that he was wrong. He honestly believes he's right. :facepalm:

lost in melb.
04-26-2020, 08:48 AM
You guys win. I'm literally too exhausted to try and understand how you think :|

perrhaps
04-26-2020, 09:26 AM
He can't admit that he was wrong. He honestly believes he's right. :facepalm:

So, he's similar to Trump, right?

Muddy
04-26-2020, 01:57 PM
Trump needs to slow his roll and stop thinking out loud. This is not the time or place to "troll the media".. We need a leader right now, not a fuggin ignorant comedy skit.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-26-2020, 02:55 PM
Trump needs to slow his roll and stop thinking out loud. This is not the time or place to "troll the media".. We need a leader right now, not a fuggin ignorant comedy skit.The exact same thing could be said about the media. We need a media that deals in facts, not jumping on any little thing that happens to shout ORANGE MAN BAD!!!

Muddy
04-26-2020, 04:14 PM
The exact same thing could be said about the media. We need a media that deals in facts, not jumping on any little thing that happens to shout ORANGE MAN BAD!!!

Absolutely.. This is his time to shine though and he is blowing it with ramblings while the whole country is watching. He has prime time slot #1 right now.

perrhaps
04-27-2020, 09:10 AM
What we need are daily updates from Drs. Birx and Fauci. As of now, Trump insists upon monopolizing the briefings by speaking @60% of the time.

He should think of himself as being Ed Sullivan, and not as The Beatles.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-27-2020, 10:18 AM
By Emily Zanotti - The Daily Wire

https://i.imgur.com/yTytno5l.jpg

Dr. Deborah Birx, an infectious disease expert who has been one of the White House’s top advisors on the coronavirus pandemic, rushed to the president’s defense in an appearance on Fox News Saturday night and again in an appearance on CNN Sunday morning, taking the media to task for pushing misinformation about President Donald Trump’s comments on using disinfectant to treat the novel coronavirus.

“I think the media is very slicey and dicey about how they put sentences together in order to create headlines. …We know for millennials in other studies that some people may only read the headlines. And if there’s not a graphic, they’re not going to look any further than that,” Birx said on Fox News Saturday night, accusing the media of getting in the way of — and even burying — useful information about the virus.

“And I think we have to be responsible about our headlines. I think often, the reporting maybe accurate in paragraph three, four, and five. But I’m not sure how many people actually get to paragraph three, four, and five,” she said.

She was even more adamant about the media’s role in spreading disinformation during an appearance on CNN’s “State of the Union” Sunday morning, blasting the media for taking joy in the president’s verbal pitfalls, even when they turn out to be innocuous.

CNN’s Jake Tapper asked Birx about comments the president made Thursday during his daily coronavirus briefing, allegedly suggesting — at least according to mainstream media sources — that Americans consider injecting or otherwise ingesting bleach or other chemical disinfectants to protect against the virus. The full comments show the president mulling over the idea in his head, asking Dr. Birx about the possibility of an internal disinfectant treatment, not openly suggesting Americans consume Clorox.

Headlines, however, blared that Trump had suggested drinking various household cleaners.

“I think it bothers me this is still in the news cycle,” Birx said, laying the blame for the viral comments squarely at the feet of the media. “I think we’re missing the bigger pieces of what we need to be doing as an American people to continue to protect one another.”

Dr. Birx was the focus of the president’s remarks, when he asked, Thursday, “So, supposing we hit the body with a tremendous — whether it’s ultraviolet or just very powerful light — and I think you said that hasn’t been checked but you’re going to test it. And then I said, supposing you brought the light inside of the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way. And I think you said you’re going to test that too. Sounds interesting.”

Although initially reports suggested the president was alluding to a UV treatment he’d been briefed over previously, Trump later claimed he was being “sarcastic.”

Dr. Birx told Tapper the reason behind the comments is immaterial.

“I think as a scientist and public health official and researcher, sometimes I worry that we don’t get the information to the American people that we need when we continue to bring up something that was from Thursday night,” she said. “I think the source of misinformation is not the news media on this.”

She added that the president was clearly “musing,” and that she corrected him immediately.

“We have made it clear, and when he turned to me, I made it clear and he understood that it was not as a treatment. And I think that kind of dialogue will happen,” she added. “I think what got lost in there, which is very unfortunate in what happened next, is that study was critically important for the American people.”