PDA

View Full Version : Metal Thieves Ransack Veterans' Cemetery, Steal Rods Off Graves...

AntZ
07-19-2011, 10:21 PM
Metal Markers Stolen From Abington Veterans’ Graves

July 19, 2011 7:40 AM

ABINGTON (CBS) – Police are looking for some vandals who stole metal rods from a veterans’ cemetery, most likely for cash.

The thieves took at least 18 markers made of copper, bronze and brass from the graves of war heroes at Mount Vernon Cemetery.

Cemetery superintendent John Burnett said the staff that holds the marker together with the American flag is what the grave robbers are looking to fence, not the medallions that come with them.

“What they do, they leave the medallion on the ground because they can’t turn them in because scrap metal people won’t take them because it’s a veteran marker,” Burnett said.

“It just bothers the hell out of me and all the veterans,” the town’s Director of Veteran Services Joe Colantoni told WBZ-TV.

“These guys left the town of Abington, went to fight for this country, get killed, get their remains home, this is their last remaining place and to have somebody come to do what they did is wrong, wrong, wrong.”

WBZ-TV’s David Robichaud reports

Elaine Harte’s husband was a Korean War vet. The thieves passed on taking his marker.

“He didn’t have this particular type, he had a plastic one, so that wasn’t bothered. But it bothered me that the rest were done. I can’t understand why anyone would do something like this,” she said.

Police say there has been a surge in the thefts of metal, especially copper, in the past few years.

Most of the time, it’s people desperate to get money to buy drugs.

Investigators are contacting local scrap metal dealers to see if the thieves have tried to sell the rods.

Hal-9000
07-19-2011, 10:37 PM
right up there with the knobs who steal our Remembrance Day poppy fund boxes......total asses

DemonGeminiX
07-19-2011, 10:38 PM
If I caught anybody trying to steal shit off of my father's grave, I'd have to kill them.

Hal-9000
07-19-2011, 10:41 PM
We sell plastic poppys around November 11th...all they ask for is some change or bills if you have it.They're little plastic coinboxes and we had nimrods who walk
into stores and steal them....to get a handful of change...that should be going to the veteran's fund.

These guys stealing parts of gravestones for cash need a few surviving vets to tune them in....

Muddy
07-19-2011, 11:09 PM
Man these mutha funkas are going nutz...

FBD
07-20-2011, 11:43 AM
I know a dude or two that basically make a living by scrappin'...but they dont steal the shit, ffs

Acid Trip
07-20-2011, 01:11 PM
I read this story earlier and it made my stomach feel sick. I'm with Demon, I'd kill the mother fuckers given the chance.