PDA

View Full Version : Canada’s New Assault Weapons Ban Also Bans Shotguns, Hunting Rifles, BB Guns, And A Website

Teh One Who Knocks
05-07-2020, 07:32 PM
By Emily Zanotti - The Daily Wire

https://i.imgur.com/aHQ1pQzl.jpg

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced last week that, in the wake of the largest mass shooting in Canada’s history, the Liberal government would be unilaterally outlawing at least 1,500 “assault-style” firearms, “effective immediately,” including, it now seems, shotguns, hunting rifles, airsoft guns, and even gun-related websites.

Assault weapons have been banned in Canada since the late 1970s, but back in late April, a Nova Scotia man, disguised as a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, went on a thirty-mile rampage using “assault-style” weapons to murder at least 22 people, including his longtime girlfriend.

In a speech last week, Trudeau “announced the ban of over 1,500 models and variants of assault-style firearms, including two guns used by the gunman as well as the AR-15 and other weapons that have been used in a number of mass shootings in the United States,” according to the Associated Press.

Canada has no Second Amendment, so the government can ban weapons without running afoul of enumerated Constitutional rights. But it seems Canadian government officials weren’t particularly clear — or were intentionally vague — about the definition of an “assault weapon” and, according to a list published Monday, the list of banned guns includes 10- and 12-gauge shotguns — a necessity for hunting in many of Canada’s more remote locales — hunting rifles, a BB gun, and even the website AR15.com.

“The Canadian Sporting Arms and Ammunition Association (CSAAA) and the Canadian Shooting Sports Association (CSSA) said their legal experts have concluded Public Safety Minister Bill Blair ‘banned almost every modern 12-gauge and 10-gauge shotgun in Canada with removable chokes because they exceed the maximum bore diameter of 20 mm,'” Canadian conservative website, the Western Standard reported.

“Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Minister Bill Blair looked Canadian gun owners in the eye last Friday and said they would not take guns suitable for hunting away from us,” CSAAA said in a statement, adding that millions of these “common hunting firearms” are in Canadian homes, making hunters — including hunters who must kill animals to survive — criminals under Canadian law.

The group also said that “many large bore hunting rifles – some more than 100 years old and valued at more than $100,000 have become prohibited,” even none of the guns in question are “semi-automatic,” or “military style.”

The list also bans AR15.com, a gun owners’ forum, and airsoft rifles that bear a strong resemblance to “military style” weapons, including the Blackwater BW-15 Carbine, a BB gun.

To be fair, the list also bans missile launchers, rocket launchers, and any military style artillery, in case those weren’t already illegal under Canadian law.

It took no more than two days for Canada’s gun laws to target the wrong person, as well. A woman, dressed up as a Stormtrooper for a Star Wars-themed “May the 4th” promotion, was tackled to the ground and arrested over her toy blaster gun after an onlooker reported a person with a “weapon” to local law enforcement. GlobalNews.ca reports that the Alberta government is looking into whether the police, in that case, used excessive force.

lost in melb.
05-07-2020, 10:12 PM
What kind of gun was used in the massacre?

Griffin
05-07-2020, 10:35 PM
All they've said is the gunman had several semi-automatic handguns, as well as two semi-automatic rifles, but haven't specified the calibre of those firearms or whether any of them had modifications.
What they are saying is that the two long-guns that were involved in the shooting, without identifying them, are included on the banned list of 1500.

Godfather
05-08-2020, 01:02 AM
What kind of gun was used in the massacre?

All they've said is the gunman had several semi-automatic handguns, as well as two semi-automatic rifles, but haven't specified the calibre of those firearms or whether any of them had modifications.
What they are saying is that the two long-guns that were involved in the shooting, without identifying them, are included on the banned list of 1500.

What's most important to me is that this guy did not have a valid Possession & Acquisition License (PAL) so the guns he had, he had illegally.

To get a PAL I took 2 day course in-class on firearms laws, safe handling and storage, then took two tests (one for non-restricted guns like hunting rifles, second for restricted weapons like black rifles and handguns), then filled an application. The app was approved in a month and they called me and three references to check mental health and criminal record. For a non-restricted weapon I can just go buy one, there are rules about handling and storage but basically I can use it anywhere on federal land to shoot, it's not registered to my name, etc. For restricted weapons (again pistols and black rifles) you have to store them in a specific way - ammo and gun locked separately, and the RCMP can inspect storage. You can also only use them at accredited shooting ranges, not back-country or for hunting. There's also a third class of weapons 'Prohibited' which you can only get if you're in law enforcement/security/military.

Again, this guy was not licensed to own any weapons due to prior charges, so this move is PR stunt, and more importantly it's being introduced undemocratically by the PM.

As for the ban: Many guns on the '1500 banned weapons' list were already prohibited. The article is a an exaggeration when it says 'shotguns, hunting rifles, airsoft guns,' in that not all rifles/shotguns/pistols are banned, but ones the Canadian public are scared of certainly are.... What is being mainly being banned is anything that looks like a scary black rifle. Many guns on this list were already effectively banned because their barrel length was too short or they fired automatic. BUT as the articles says, this new ban does impact thousands legal gun owners who had a Restricted license and complied with very strict laws to own AR-style rifles, (as well as some now banned shotguns, pistols and hunting rifles. The '1500 banned guns' the government paraded out is a charade because many of them couldn't be purchase legally in the first place, and the few that you could had to be under extreme lock & key.

There are still some cool guns you can own in Canada to be clear (see what's still available here at my local shop: https://www.reliablegun.com/en/firearms for example) ... but this new law is being introduced undemocratically, and unfairly punishes legal firearms owners. It's a bummer. But whatever, it's been coming a long time and apparently 80% of Canadians polled are in agreement so what the fuck am I going to do except bitch about it on the internet.

Pony
05-08-2020, 08:40 AM
It's a bummer. But whatever, it's been coming a long time and apparently 80% of Canadians polled are in agreement so what the fuck am I going to do except bitch about it on the internet.

Sneak across the border? I hear illegals here get more perks than citizens.