PDA

View Full Version : University of Virginia modifies V-Sabre, Cavalier Shield logos to remove slavery connotations

Teh One Who Knocks
06-16-2020, 04:25 PM
By David Cobb - CBS Sports

The University of Virginia is changing a detail in its new V-Sabre and Cavalier Shield athletic logos after campus stakeholders raised concerns about their ties to the school's use of slave labor in the 19th century. Athletic director Carla Williams announced Monday that the handle of the swords in the logos will no longer feature curves that mimic the serpentine walls on the university campus. The walls were built to shield slaves laborers from view and to keep any noise made from traveling, according to an April story by The Cavalier Daily that detailed the controversy sparked by the new logos.

"There was no intent to cause harm, but we did, and for that I apologize to those who bear the pain of slavery in our history," Williams said.

Williams, who in 2017 became the first female African American athletic director at a Power Five school, said she was made aware of the negative connotation between the serpentine walls and slavery after the school unveiled the new logos on April 24. When the new logos were released, Williams referred to them as "uniquely us" and "bold, creative, strong, innovative, competitive & fierce."

Students and professors at the school, however, protested the new logos because of the slavery association which led to Monday's change.

"I was not previously aware of the historical perspective indicating the original eight-foot-high walls were constructed to mask the institution of slavery and enslaved laborers from public view," Williams said. "Over the last few weeks, I have worked to better educate myself and that education will continue."
Aside from the sword handles, the new logos will largely remain the same.

Muddy
06-16-2020, 05:48 PM
Minor change... Not worth the battle.