PDA

View Full Version : 2 Berkeley elementary schools, Washington and Jefferson, to be renamed in response to Black Lives Matter push

Teh One Who Knocks
06-22-2020, 12:23 PM
The Associated Press

https://i.imgur.com/x2aTpoL.png

BERKELEY — Two San Francisco Bay Area schools named for founding fathers who were slaveholders will get new names following a push by Black Lives Matter activists, according to a newspaper report.

The Berkeley Unified School District board unanimously approved a “Resolution in Support of Black Lives Matter” during a meeting last week, the San Francisco Chronicle reported Monday. The move started the process of of renaming Jefferson and Washington elementary schools.

The current school names commemorate the first and third U.S. presidents, George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, who both owned slaves.

Berkeley community members tried in 2005 to rename Jefferson Elementary, but the motion was not passed. The current Black Lives Matter movement, following police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis, inspired a renewed, successful effort to change the schools’ names, the Chronicle said.

Also included in the resolution is a new, year-round “Black Joy Campaign,” described as resources and training for teachers to identify additional measures of racial inequity and collect data in schools, the newspaper reported.

Fodster
06-22-2020, 11:31 PM
:banghead:

Griffin
06-22-2020, 11:37 PM
It's amazing that the left just keeps cowering, you would think with their supposed higher intellect they would eventually say "WTF?"

lost in melb.
06-22-2020, 11:51 PM
Don't you think the fact that the founding fathers of the US were slave owners is a bit of a moral issue though? Kind of makes a mockery of the supposed moral superiority that US was founded on, doesn't it?

Griffin
06-22-2020, 11:58 PM
No more than any other society throughout history.
Do you really think that your aboriginal peoples can forgive what the British empire did to them?
We've already discussed what the African people did to help the cause.
Are any cultures immune to exploiting the weak?
I think we would all be better off by not pointing fingers and saying we could all be better.

Griffin
06-23-2020, 12:15 AM
What pisses me off the most is that every one says America sucks.
You forget we were taught by everyone else.
But you know what?
We learned.
We adapted.
We became what the rest of the planet strived for from Alexander till today.
Now what?
You want to blame us for becoming what was sought for by many fallen civilizations.

Fuck anyone that can not see the venerable nation we have become.

Fuck anyone that wants to try and bring us down.

lost in melb.
06-23-2020, 01:27 AM
Well, ok. Not everyone says it sucks. and no country is above criticism. Arguably, you've lost your way a bit... However the US is also arguably too large and diverse to easily lump into one basket

lost in melb.
06-23-2020, 01:30 AM
No more than any other society throughout history.
Do you really think that your aboriginal peoples can forgive what the British empire did to them?
We've already discussed what the African people did to help the cause.
Are any cultures immune to exploiting the weak?
I think we would all be better off by not pointing fingers and saying we could all be better.

Yeah, we have our s*** too.
I'm actually feeling it might be a time to debate about our forefathers. Measuring up if we can do better, And yes, perhaps if some are not appropriate representations or relevant ...I'm talking about a civilized debate here, not ripping up things of course

RBP
06-23-2020, 03:10 AM
Yeah, we have our s*** too.
I'm actually feeling it might be a time to debate about our forefathers. Measuring up if we can do better, And yes, perhaps if some are not appropriate representations or relevant ...I'm talking about a civilized debate here, not ripping up things of course

Can you explain that to me? I'm honestly interested in what value there is in revisiting history through a 2020 lens. History is what the lens was at the time and never changes. That's what makes it interesting and informative. If we want to make change now, okay. If we want to see what historic views have persisted and no longer apply, okay. All fine. It doesn't have to be a destruction of history, just using history to learn and adjust.

Why does it have to be destroyed, erased, or worse yet, atoned for?

Edit: I don't know. Maybe we are saying the same thing.

DemonGeminiX
06-23-2020, 03:23 AM
Our forefathers were actually brilliant. Think about it, they had no distractions. No TV, no computers, no radio. All they had were books, each other, and time to think. Yes slavery was abhorrent, but it was the practice of the time. The entire world engaged in it. It wasn't just some passing fancy, it was practiced for hundreds of years, thousands of years. Civilizations in antiquity practiced slavery. No ethnicity was shielded from it. Every ethnicity had slaves, every ethnicity were slaves. If you condemn our forefathers, you condemn every human being at the time and in the past, barring none. Every one was complicit, whether you want to believe it or not. But no man is without sin, and the sins of the past do not in any way shape or form detract from what they've built, and how far we've come up until today. The saving grace of our fore fathers was that they knew that slavery was a horror, and they took what steps they could, what steps their circumstances allowed them to take in their day, to give us a foundation to eradicate it over time. And we did.

These BLM organizers aren't about righting a wrong of the past, they're about tearing down the ideals that made this nation strong, and replacing them with Marxist institutions that will damn us all. They've admitted as much in their original mission statement.

Placid
06-23-2020, 03:55 AM
Keep up with this trend and pretty soon, it will be pointless trying to teach history at school because woke lefties will have had it all erased.

lost in melb.
06-23-2020, 06:33 AM
Can you explain that to me? I'm honestly interested in what value there is in revisiting history through a 2020 lens. History is what the lens was at the time and never changes. That's what makes it interesting and informative. If we want to make change now, okay. If we want to see what historic views have persisted and no longer apply, okay. All fine. It doesn't have to be a destruction of history, just using history to learn and adjust.

Why does it have to be destroyed, erased, or worse yet, atoned for?

Edit: I don't know. Maybe we are saying the same thing.

It's a big question.

No, history doesn't change but the world that we live in does. Absolutely nothing can erase what happened in the past, and the fact that the US was founded on certain principles and by certain people.

Nevertheless, if it's not relevant to a large percentage of the population and antagonistic to their beliefs, it should be debated. Maybe emphasize something else, reduce something else a bit. Make amendments..

Of course everything is so politicized now that you're dealing with a lot of angry, delusional and insane people, so good luck having that debate...:dunno:

lost in melb.
06-23-2020, 06:35 AM
These BLM organizers aren't about righting a wrong of the past, they're about tearing down the ideals that made this nation strong, and replacing them with Marxist institutions that will damn us all. They've admitted as much in their original mission statement.

Marxist institutions, my ass. Most people wouldn't even know where he was born

Teh One Who Knocks
06-23-2020, 09:30 AM
Marxist institutions, my ass. Most people wouldn't even know where he was born

Video surfaces of Black Lives Matter founder saying, "We are trained Marxists"
by Adam Ford - Disrn

https://i.imgur.com/FkBTiJcl.jpg

A 2015 video clip has surfaced of an interview with Black Lives Matter founder Patrisse Cullors in which she assures her interviewer that the group has an underlying ideology, saying, "We're trained Marxists."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCghDx5qN4s

Responding to the interviewer's concern that the BLM movement might not have enough of a "clear ideological structure," Cullors responded by saying that she and another co-founder "in particular" are dedicated to the ideology of Communist leader Karl Marx:

"We actually do have an ideological frame. Myself and Alicia in particular, we're trained organizers. We are trained Marxists. We are super versed on ideological theories."

Alicia, whom Cullors mentioned, is Alicia Garza. Garza, Cullors, and a third woman, Opal Tometi, founded Black Lives Matter together.

🔦 Many opponents of BLM have been calling the group Marxist, or "neo-Marxist," or "cultural Marxists," since it came to prominence, due to its heavy focus on group identity and class conflict.

BLM's website lists many far-left ideals in its list of core beliefs, including:

We are self-reflexive and do the work required to dismantle cisgender privilege and uplift Black trans folk, especially Black trans women who continue to be disproportionately impacted by trans-antagonistic violence.
We build a space that affirms Black women and is free from sexism, misogyny, and environments in which men are centered.
We practice empathy. We engage comrades with the intent to learn about and connect with their contexts.
We make our spaces family-friendly and enable parents to fully participate with their children. We dismantle the patriarchal practice that requires mothers to work "double shifts" so that they can mother in private even as they participate in public justice work.
We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and "villages" that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable.
We foster a queer‐affirming network. When we gather, we do so with the intention of freeing ourselves from the tight grip of heteronormative thinking, or rather, the belief that all in the world are heterosexual (unless s/he or they disclose otherwise).

DemonGeminiX
06-23-2020, 09:54 AM
Told ya. :yup:

lost in melb.
06-23-2020, 10:53 AM
So what? They think they know about Marxism :dunno:

"We actually do have an ideological frame framework. Myself and Alicia Alicia and I, in particular, we're are trained organizers. We are trained Marxists. We are super versed on in ideological theories theory."

Help a comrade on the path :empathy:

RBP
06-23-2020, 12:59 PM
So what? They think they know about Marxism :dunno:

Help a comrade on the path :empathy:

And red-inked their grammar is considered racist.