PDA

View Full Version : Nashville Prep School Ends Annual George Washington Celebration Because It’s Not ‘Relevant To The Way That We Teach History Today’

Teh One Who Knocks
06-23-2020, 10:41 AM
By Ashe Schow - The Daily Wire

https://i.imgur.com/d0BsGgsl.jpg

A prominent prep school in Nashville, Tennessee has said it will no longer hold its annual celebration of George Washington because its “not consistent or relevant to the way that we teach history today.”

The prep school, Harpeth Hall, made the decision last week, The Tennessee Star reported. Jess Hill, who heads the school, wouldn’t answer the outlet’s specific questions about canceling the event, but did send a statement.

“After much thoughtful dialogue spanning several years, Harpeth Hall has decided to discontinue the annual George Washington Celebration,” Hill wrote.

Hill included three reasons why the school decided to end the celebration:

“It is not consistent with or relevant to the way that we teach history today.”

“It does not demonstrate the significant role that women, people of color, and other underrepresented groups play in our nation’s history.”

“A growing number of students, faculty, staff, and alumnae are expressing their discomfort with this tradition.”

“For the past several years, the Leadership Team, faculty, and students have questioned in separate discussions the long-standing tradition of the George Washington Celebration at Harpeth Hall – a place where girls are at the center of our story. During this past school year, we held focus group discussions with our Alumnae Board and Head’s Young Alumnae Council to gather their thoughts. We also conferred with administrators and teachers charged with leading the program over many years,” Hill wrote in the statement to the Star. “In consideration of their feedback and our mission, we have decided that the George Washington Celebration held on February 13, 2020 marks our final performance.”

On Tuesday, Hill sent an email to school alumni, which was obtained by the Star, that explained the history of the celebration.

“In 1913, young women at Ward-Belmont lived and studied in a protected enclave where young men were not allowed. In an effort to provide a social activity during a winter weekend that year, Ward-Belmont students planned a party where they imagined the lives of our founding fathers, dressed in colonial costumes, and danced the minuet to celebrate George Washington’s birthday. This social occasion was not a part of the educational program and continued for decades, with a multi-year hiatus during World War II when all citizens were called upon to conserve resources and support the war effort,” the email said. “When Ward-Belmont closed in 1951 and Harpeth Hall began on the Hobbs Road campus, many former Ward-Belmont teachers brought traditions with them to continue the all-girls experience in Souby Hall, our first classroom building. The George Washington Celebration resumed in 1955 and served as an opportunity for beloved and revered Miss Patty Chadwell to teach dance in her Physical Education class.”

The celebration, according to the email “experienced many evolutions over the decades.”

“In 1982 [it] became a seventh grade activity, where girls were assigned to be soldiers, sailors, captains of the guard, or one of the guests at the celebration. Two outstanding students, first in the junior class and later in the eighth grade, were honored each year as George and Martha Washington,” the email said as an example.

The Star reported that Harpeth Hill is an expensive all-women prep school spanning middle school and high school, with famous alumni such as Reese Witherspoon and Amy Grant. The school costs upwards of $30,000 a year.

Griffin
06-23-2020, 12:41 PM
"How we teach history today." :-s

I see how well that's working out for us.

RBP
06-23-2020, 01:12 PM
So the leftists have taken over the Democrat party. They have taken over academia. They have taken over social services. They have taken over the child activities debate by buying into the grossly failed "self-esteem above all" model.

This has corresponded with female takeovers of those areas of life. Causal? Not sure, but it feels that way.

And we (more conservative thinkers and men in general) have allowed it to happen. To a large extent, we are reaping what we have sown.

Griffin
06-23-2020, 01:20 PM
I've gotten to the point where I'm like Hugo in "LOST", I'm going to be that guy

..."you know, the guy with a long beard sitting naked in a cave throwing doodee at people."

Teh One Who Knocks
06-23-2020, 01:21 PM
"How we teach history today." :-s

I see how well that's working out for us.

They say that history is written by the winners...and as RBP said, the radical left is the side that is winning this particular fight right now and we're (more conservative type folks) are letting it happen.

lost in melb.
06-23-2020, 01:27 PM
So the leftists have taken over the Democrat party. They have taken over academia. They have taken over social services. They have taken over the child activities debate by buying into the grossly failed "self-esteem above all" model.

This has corresponded with female takeovers of those areas of life. Causal? Not sure, but it feels that way.

And we (more conservative thinkers and men in general) have allowed it to happen. To a large extent, we are reaping what we have sown.

At what point is that stuff not leftist and actually in the middle?

From where I am sitting leftists are pulling down statues, defunding police, calling for retribution and income "redistribution"

I'm not going to comment on your middle neurosis paragraph :shifty:

lost in melb.
06-23-2020, 01:30 PM
They say that history is written by the winners...and as RBP said, the radical left is the side that is winning this particular fight right now and we're (more conservative type folks) are letting it happen.

Auxiliary verb spamming won't save you :hand:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-23-2020, 01:31 PM
Auxiliary verb spamming won't save you :hand:

https://i.imgur.com/jJz8yYE.jpg

lost in melb.
06-23-2020, 01:33 PM
:ban:

RBP
06-23-2020, 01:35 PM
At what point is that stuff not leftist and actually in the middle?

Never or forever, depending on who wins the culture war. Odds are? Sooner than later, if not already.

I'm not going to comment on your middle neurosis paragraph :shifty:

Please do! My profession is now extraordinarily political and leftist. Men and conservatives are shunned.

Academia, particularly middle and high school? Same.

Feminism is now not just feminism, it is social justice. You think the "women's march" was about women? Not at all.

https://www.ted.com/talks/courtney_e_martin_this_isn_t_her_mother_s_feminism

Edit: P.S. Courtney Martin is associated with a feminist website called Feministing. From personal experience, I would advise against referring to it as being short for "Feminine Fisting". Just take my word for it. :oops:

lost in melb.
06-23-2020, 01:38 PM
Lords, where do you dig that s*** up? :lol: (link)

Is that TT worth a look or are you just illustrating the point?

P.s. I'm severely outnumbered as a male psychologist, but actually it's to my advantage.

RBP
06-23-2020, 01:41 PM
Lords, where do you dig that s*** up? :lol: (link)

Is that TT worth a look or are you just illustrating the point?

P.s. I'm severely outnumbered as a male psychologist, but actually it's to my advantage.

I found the Ted Talk very instructive.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-24-2020, 03:55 PM
:facepalm: