PDA

View Full Version : Seattle to end drug and prostitution loitering law targeting people of color

Teh One Who Knocks
06-24-2020, 09:50 AM
By Shawn M. Carter | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/RkV6zIml.jpg

Seattle is moving to end a longstanding city law that allowed police to arrest someone for loitering, if they are also suspected of being a possible drug offender or sex worker.

The twin bills, passed unanimously by the Seattle City Council Monday, effectively block authorities from arresting someone for loitering in relation to a drug or a prostitution inquiry. Both laws, according to the Chicago-Kent Law Review, have historically targeted people of color.

Drug-trafficking loitering laws became particularly prevalent in the United States during the 1990s war on drugs, MyNorthwest, which covered the bill signings, pointed out.

“Today we’re taking a step in the right direction, making sure our laws reflect our values and don’t create additional burdens on our Black and brown community members,” Councilmember Andrew J. Lewis, who co-sponsored both bills, said in a statement for the city council.

https://i.imgur.com/6cbkHf0l.jpg

The bills come as part of a long list of recommendations from a workgroup study commissioned by the city in 2018. It found that Black, Indigenous and other people of color have a gun pointed at them by police 30 percent more often than their white peers, and are frisked 15 percent more often.

“Seattle is fortunate to have City Councilmembers who consider and respond to recommendations from those with lived experience in the criminal justice system, and I’m happy to see this legislation make it over the finish line,” City Attorney Pete Holmes said. “Here’s hoping other jurisdictions evaluate their own loitering policies.”

RBP
06-24-2020, 09:51 AM
Wow. :lol: Seattle is going to shit.... literally.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-24-2020, 09:53 AM
Wow. :lol: Seattle is going to shit.... literally.

If you own property in the Seattle metro area, better sell now before your property is completely worthless.

Griffin
06-24-2020, 10:06 AM
Just a matter of time till Canada starts building a border wall.

RBP
06-24-2020, 11:21 AM
Just a matter of time till Canada starts building a border wall.

:hand: White RCMP are terrorizing "first squatters" or whatever they are called. They need more black people to distract the racist cops. Bait and switch kinda thing.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-24-2020, 11:44 AM
by Bryan Brammer - Disrn

https://i.imgur.com/KXNUCfsl.jpg

A billion-dollar investment advisory company announced Monday that it is leaving Seattle and moving its headquarters to Phoenix due to the ongoing unrest.

"The unrest that has taken place in the city of Seattle … there is really is not a downtown business community today," Smead Capital Management President and CEO Cole Smead told local news.

Although taxes in Seattle are lower, Smead said Phoenix offers his employees a lower cost of living and a better quality of life in the city's historic Camelback Corridor.

"My colleagues can pick the socio-economic rung of life that they want… live their lives, build their households, and have a family if they'd like," Smead said.

Smead also believes the future of business in Washington's largest city is very volatile as a result of the unchecked protests and riots.

"We're hearing rumors of 40-story buildings that will be only 20% occupied by October," Smead said. "My biggest concern for Seattle was what the business community is going to come back to and what kind of businesses are going to come back for customers."

As of the end of May, the investment firm managed roughly $1.58 billion.

Griffin
06-24-2020, 11:46 AM
I bet Bill Gates hasn't been staying at his Lake Washington mansion.

RBP
06-24-2020, 02:03 PM
I bet Bill Gates hasn't been staying at his Lake Washington mansion.

Poor guy with his mansion and security. Bet he has a wall.

If the idiots were smart, they'd riot against the rich.

Griffin
06-24-2020, 02:19 PM
If I were him, I'd be staying at the 492- acre Wyoming ranch.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-24-2020, 03:23 PM
Their government will let this lovely city be turned into a ghetto and all that business is going to follow that investment firms lead and take themselves and their employees to safer places. Leaving them with no tax revenue and a shit city

Griffin
06-24-2020, 03:29 PM
Seattle used to be a beautiful city because the citizens took pride in making it so. The left has ruined the entire west coast.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-24-2020, 04:13 PM
Seattle used to be a beautiful city because the citizens took pride in making it so. The left has ruined the entire west coast.

Agreed, I lived out in the Seattle are during the Grunge era, and it was still pretty nice, but probably the beginning of the end. Lived in CA most my life, its turning into a shit hole as well