PDA

View Full Version : Coronavirus: US has 'serious problem', says Fauci

Placid
06-27-2020, 09:35 AM
US infectious disease chief Dr Anthony Fauci says the nation has a "serious problem" as 16 states reel from a spike in Covid-19 cases.

At the first White House task force briefing in two months, Dr Fauci said: "The only way we're going to end it is by ending it together."

As health experts said more must be done to slow the spread, Vice-President Mike Pence praised US "progress".

More than 40,000 new cases were recorded across the US on Friday

The total of 40,173, given by Johns Hopkins University, was the highest daily total so far, exceeding the record set only the previous day.

There are over 2.4 million confirmed infections and more than 125,000 deaths nationwide - more than any other country.

During Friday's briefing, the White House task force also urged millennials to get tested, even if they are asymptomatic.

Mr Pence said the president requested the task force address the American people amid surges in infections and hospital admissions across southern and western states.

In Texas, Florida and Arizona, reopening plans have been paused due to the spike.

While some of the increase in daily cases recorded can be attributed to expanded testing, the rate of positive tests in some areas is also increasing.

Health officials in the US estimate the true number of cases is likely to be 10 times higher than the reported figure.

What was said at the White House briefing?

Dr Deborah Birx, coronavirus response coordinator, thanked younger Americans for heeding official guidance on testing.

"Whereas before we told them to stay home, now we are telling them to get tested."

She noted this "great change" in testing guidance would allow officials to find "the asymptomatic and mild diseases that we couldn't find before".

Following Dr Birx's presentation of the recent data, Dr Fauci said: "As you can see we are facing a serious problem in certain areas."

He added: "So what goes on in one area of the country ultimately could have an affect on other areas."

Dr Fauci said the current rises were due to everything from regions "maybe opening a little bit too early", to opening at a reasonable time "but not actually following steps in an orderly fashion", to the citizens themselves not following guidance.

"People are infecting other people, and then ultimately you will infect someone who's vulnerable," he said.

"You have an individual responsibility to yourself, but you have a societal responsibility because if we want to end this outbreak, really end it... we've got to realise that we are part of the process."

Dr Fauci added that if the spread was not stopped, eventually even the parts of the country doing well now would be affected.

The vice-president, meanwhile, praised the nation's headway in handling the pandemic, noting "extraordinary progress" in former virus hotspots, like New York and New Jersey.

"We slowed the spread, we flattened the curve, we saved lives," he said.

Mr Pence also appeared to deny any link between states reopening and the increase in cases.

Responding to a reporter's question, he said the southern states that have reopened did so months ago, when new cases and rates were low.

Mr Pence instead blamed much of the rise on positive test results from asymptomatic young people, adding that while they may be at lower risk of serious symptoms, they should "take countermeasures" and listen to state governors' advice.

Article and More (https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53200834)

lost in melb.
06-27-2020, 10:29 AM
Better keep traitor Fauci far from the mic :nono:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-27-2020, 04:09 PM
No no no, of course the correct thing to do is keep everyone locked up, let the world economy collapse, and let the government dictate how you live your life :tup:

:roll:

The fucking seasonal flu kills anywhere from 25K to 75K Americans EVERY SINGLE YEAR. And this is a virus we have a goddamn vaccine for! There may NEVER be a vaccine for the Kung Flu, not ever. So they only logical thing to do is let people live their fucking lives. Let it run its course. If you are a high risk person, then stay home. Have things delivered. Have loved ones get you what you need. But you can't lock everything down in perpetuity! I could die from the flu or get hit by a car or I could be robbed at gunpoint and shot and killed...we all make decisions every single fucking day that could end our lives. That's what needs to be done now. Since when did "flatten the curve" turn into "until there's a vaccine"?

Fear mongering will only get you so far and I for one am over it. This whole article was absolutely stupid.

Placid
06-28-2020, 04:38 AM
No no no, of course the correct thing to do is keep everyone locked up, let the world economy collapse, and let the government dictate how you live your life :tup:

The fucking seasonal flu kills anywhere from 25K to 75K Americans EVERY SINGLE YEAR. And this is a virus we have a goddamn vaccine for! There may NEVER be a vaccine for the Kung Flu, not ever. So they only logical thing to do is let people live their fucking lives. Let it run its course. If you are a high risk person, then stay home. Have things delivered. Have loved ones get you what you need. But you can't lock everything down in perpetuity! I could die from the flu or get hit by a car or I could be robbed at gunpoint and shot and killed...we all make decisions every single fucking day that could end our lives. That's what needs to be done now. Since when did "flatten the curve" turn into "until there's a vaccine"?

Fear mongering will only get you so far and I for one am over it. This whole article was absolutely stupid.

Okay - you're over it?

Do you go out where ever you like? Do you social distance or not? Do you take any precautions at all?

Will you be okay with yourself and those around you should you contract the virus?

How's your funeral plan?

In my opinion, too many people are confusing "Freedom" with "Inconvenience"....

You are free to do what you like.... are you free to put other peoples lives ( or your own ) in danger?

The government is not removing your freedom it is asking you to put up with some inconvenience for the sake of all.

I don't like the lock downs any more than the next guy but where I come from it has worked..... we have had no cases at all of community infection, and all our lockdowns have been now lifted and we all feel safe. Our borders are still closed and the vast majority of our citizens support this.

Finally, yes it has done no good for our economy and personally my retirement savings (superannuation) has been greatly negatively impacted but if I was dead, that wouldn't matter.

DemonGeminiX
06-28-2020, 06:11 AM
I think your (Australians) idea of freedom and our (Americans) idea of freedom is slightly different.

perrhaps
06-28-2020, 02:13 PM

But, but ,but President Bunker Boy continually claims that his belated actions in March saved millions of American lives. So, either your continued comparisons of the effects of Covid-19 to the flu are ridiculous, or Trump is lying. Can't have it both ways, right?

Teh One Who Knocks
06-28-2020, 05:02 PM
:deadhorse:

All your posts are the same. We get it, you hate Trump. Blah, blah, blah. Maybe if you're lukly you'll get your wish and Mr Mumbles will be your next president. Until then, please excuse me because I won't be reading or responding to your posts any longer because it's the same thing. Every.Single.Time.

DemonGeminiX
06-28-2020, 05:02 PM
All of you people who are blaming Trump for any US deaths due to coronavirus are woefully misguided. Nobody in this world could have gotten this right. Nobody in this world did get it right. The true blame lies with the Chinese government, and only the Chinese government. They could have stopped it, but they chose not to for their own selfish reasons. The Chinese government is responsible for every death due to Covid-19 in this world. They are the only ones to blame. Period, end of.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-28-2020, 05:08 PM
Okay - you're over it?

Do you go out where ever you like? Do you social distance or not? Do you take any precautions at all?

Will you be okay with yourself and those around you should you contract the virus?

How's your funeral plan?

In my opinion, too many people are confusing "Freedom" with "Inconvenience"....

You are free to do what you like.... are you free to put other peoples lives ( or your own ) in danger?

The government is not removing your freedom it is asking you to put up with some inconvenience for the sake of all.

I don't like the lock downs any more than the next guy but where I come from it has worked..... we have had no cases at all of community infection, and all our lockdowns have been now lifted and we all feel safe. Our borders are still closed and the vast majority of our citizens support this.

Finally, yes it has done no good for our economy and personally my retirement savings (superannuation) has been greatly negatively impacted but if I was dead, that wouldn't matter.

Hey, you can be a scared little girl all you want, you do you mate and I'll do me, okay? I'm not afraid of the virus, I'm not afraid of catching it and I'm not afraid of my wife or my kid catching it. You know why? We're all in decent health and none of us have underlying conditions. I'm not going to be scared and cower in my house. How are my funeral plans? :roll: You buy right into what the media wants you to believe, that this thing will be worse than the Black Death in the Middle Ages that Europe went through. And did you even read what I said? You could just as easily die from the seasonal flu which is a virus we ALREADY HAVE A VACCINE FOR. And yet it still kills on average of more than 50,000 people a year in the United States alone. There may never be a vaccine for Wu Flu, so are you going to stay hidden down in your basement for all eternity until you die?

And even though it's none of your business, yes, I go anywhere I damn well want to go. I go to work every fucking day. I have my groceries delivered, but if I need something at the store, I go and get it without fear. And I don't wear a mask. You know why? I'm not fucking sick. And if I was sick, I'd stay the fuck home like people are supposed to do. If you think wearing a piece of cloth over your face is going to protect you from the Wu Flu, then be my guest and wear one. Even though it will do absolutely nothing to stop a virus from going through it. And if you are that afraid of it stay home.

You know why I love all these new positive cases showing up? Because it shows that the virus is FAR more widespread than anyone thought. And with every new positive case that is either asymptomatic or mild, it drives the death rate down farther and farther towards the likes of things such as the flu.

So again, you do you mate and I'll do me.

Placid
06-29-2020, 03:16 AM
Hey, you can be a scared little girl all you want, you do you mate and I'll do me, okay? I'm not afraid of the virus, I'm not afraid of catching it and I'm not afraid of my wife or my kid catching it. You know why? We're all in decent health and none of us have underlying conditions. I'm not going to be scared and cower in my house. How are my funeral plans? :roll: You buy right into what the media wants you to believe, that this thing will be worse than the Black Death in the Middle Ages that Europe went through. And did you even read what I said? You could just as easily die from the seasonal flu which is a virus we ALREADY HAVE A VACCINE FOR. And yet it still kills on average of more than 50,000 people a year in the United States alone. There may never be a vaccine for Wu Flu, so are you going to stay hidden down in your basement for all eternity until you die?

And even though it's none of your business, yes, I go anywhere I damn well want to go. I go to work every fucking day. I have my groceries delivered, but if I need something at the store, I go and get it without fear. And I don't wear a mask. You know why? I'm not fucking sick. And if I was sick, I'd stay the fuck home like people are supposed to do. If you think wearing a piece of cloth over your face is going to protect you from the Wu Flu, then be my guest and wear one. Even though it will do absolutely nothing to stop a virus from going through it. And if you are that afraid of it stay home.

You know why I love all these new positive cases showing up? Because it shows that the virus is FAR more widespread than anyone thought. And with every new positive case that is either asymptomatic or mild, it drives the death rate down farther and farther towards the likes of things such as the flu.

There's a lot of dead people who were also in perfect health until this came along. How would you feel if you caught it and only became a carrier and then it to others who then died as a result?

I don't really see it as being scared of the virus but ensuring I look after myself and those around me.

perrhaps
06-29-2020, 09:06 AM
All your posts are the same. We get it, you hate Trump. Blah, blah, blah. Maybe if you're lukly you'll get your wish and Mr Mumbles will be your next president. Until then, please excuse me because I won't be reading or responding to your posts any longer because it's the same thing. Every.Single.Time.

All your posts about Covid-19 are the same. Others of us get it. "It's no worse than the flu (insert anti-Asian slur here). People are gutless if they don't agree with me. Blah, blah, blah"

You can't respond to my posts because you know that either you're wrong or Trump's wrong. Like me, it's that simple.

Placid
06-29-2020, 09:42 AM
I think your (Australians) idea of freedom and our (Americans) idea of freedom is slightly different.

Thank fuck for that!

I'm very quickly getting the impression that this is an American forum for those that all think alike..... Am I wrong?

lost in melb.
06-29-2020, 10:06 AM
You're wrong.

Everyone has a different take and we respect that. True, we'll have a bit of a dig now and again, but it's mostly in good humour.

Hope it stays that way :|

Placid
06-30-2020, 01:46 AM
You're wrong.

Everyone has a different take and we respect that. True, we'll have a bit of a dig now and again, but it's mostly in good humour.

Hope it stays that way :|

Same here - I have not intentionally tried to upset anyone but use some humour. In return I have been abused by one other member.

DemonGeminiX
06-30-2020, 04:28 AM
Abused? By whom?

lost in melb.
06-30-2020, 05:39 AM

All your posts about Covid-19 are the same. Others of us get it. "It's no worse than the flu (insert anti-Asian slur here). People are gutless if they don't agree with me. Blah, blah, blah"

You can't respond to my posts because you know that either you're wrong or Trump's wrong. Like me, it's that simple.

I think both points are valid. We in Australia have chosen the more aggressive management path (which I agree with as it minimizes death & injury - at least in the short term).

Time will tell the end winner. The World watched US & Sweden :hand:

Placid
06-30-2020, 09:56 AM
The fucking seasonal flu kills anywhere from 25K to 75K Americans EVERY SINGLE YEAR. And this is a virus we have a goddamn vaccine for!

COVID-19 causes more severe disease than seasonal influenza.

While many people globally have built up immunity to seasonal flu strains, COVID-19 is a new virus to which no one has immunity. That means more people are susceptible to infection, and some will suffer severe disease.

Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died. By comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1% of those infected.