PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne disability care provider forced to pull ‘discriminatory’ ad

Placid
06-27-2020, 10:02 AM
A Melbourne disability care provider has come under fire for posting a job ad that discouraged “dark-skinned” people from applying.

Absolute Care and Health, based in South Yarra, posted the vacancy on website Indeed.com on Monday.

“We request no dark-skinned (Indian or African) applicant apply for this role,” the ad read.

It went on to say it was due to a “client request”.

The post sparked outrage in Melbourne’s Indian and African communities, so much so it has since been removed by the company.

https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/e8c2677b7474bf56b4a93997ccd2471f?width=650

I felt really, really angry when I saw the ad,” Meenu Chandran, a social worker who had previously worked in the disability care sector, told SBS Malayalam.

She said she had reported the job ad to the Australian Human Rights Commission.

“It is outright discriminatory. I was thinking that people would learn from what is happening in the US with (George) Floyd case, but they didn’t,” she said.

Barbara Ould, the chief executive of Absolute Care and Health, has since acknowledged the ad was discriminatory and offensive.

“On 22nd June, we published a job advertisement which regrettably contained information that was discriminatory and has caused offence,” she told SBS Malayalam in a statement.

“We are deeply saddened and sorry for this unintentional, serious error and for the offence and distress it has caused.”

https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/dccb3bd4b6a892b76f785874e1fa7f2f?width=650

“It happened as a result of an extreme failure in our internal processes and we are so very deeply sorry for the offence and distress that our error has caused,” Ms Ould said in a statement to Daily Mail Australia.

“As soon as we discovered that the advertisement had been posted, we quickly removed it; published an apology on our website; apologised personally to those who had viewed the advert and those who contacted us with their concerns; and, started an investigation as to how it happened.”

Section 24 of Victoria’s Equal Opportunity Act 2010 makes it legal for an employer to discriminate upon who they offer employment to in relation to care and other domestic and personal work within their home, or in the case of business, in the home of the person they provide services for.

Article & More (https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/melbourne-disability-care-provider-forced-to-pull-discriminatory-ad/news-story/6206dee8d0c9f8184cae7b5fcf7a9413)

RBP
06-27-2020, 10:51 AM
Not sure about AU, but seniors make lots of personal requests here. They can't always be accommodated for obvious reasons, and no, you can't advertise for them. :lol:

lost in melb.
06-27-2020, 12:29 PM
Not sure about AU, but seniors make lots of personal requests here. They can't always be accommodated for obvious reasons, and no, you can't advertise for them. :lol:

I"m not condoning it in any way but a very old person may have trouble adjusting. My dear old grandma (raised in alabaster white australia) used to freak out with ethics...so racist. :lol:

RBP
06-27-2020, 02:03 PM
I"m not condoning it in any way but a very old person may have trouble adjusting. My dear old grandma (raised in alabaster white australia) used to freak out with ethics...so racist. :lol:

I am of two minds on that subject. Why force anything on someone in the last years. If a 90-something wants a cigar and a whiskey, light him up. On the other hand, I understand the employment issue. But I also understand that outside of the legally defined categories, they accommodate all the time. So...

Griffin
06-27-2020, 02:29 PM
Strange... I was under the impression that the only racist were white Americans. :-k

RBP
06-27-2020, 02:39 PM
Strange... I was under the impression that the only racist were white Americans. :-k

I know right? They're acting like minority rights and assimilation issues are universal and throughout history.

Griffin
06-27-2020, 02:41 PM
I'm so confused

.... I'm gettin another beer.

RBP
06-27-2020, 02:46 PM
I'm so confused

.... I'm gettin another beer.

https://i.imgur.com/t9RMRXD.png?1

Placid
06-28-2020, 04:50 AM

The real racists are those with a chip on their shoulder because they want something they don't have. (not can't have but don't have) This includes many whites and also many blacks. Travel to other countries that are non-white and many of the local citizens are racists against whites.

All this bullshit going on at the moment is nothing more than political correctness - people suffering mock guilt for things from the past that cannot be changed but they seem to think that makes them appear better in the eyes of others. Everyone is revering the Floyd thug as a martyr and feel that by expressing their so called empathy it makes them feel good about themselves ???

These PC brigade are probably using this as a cover up for their own suppressed racism.,