PDA

View Full Version : US coronavirus data will now bypass the CDC and go straight to the White House.

lost in melb.
07-18-2020, 12:39 AM
Led by physicians, scientists and epidemiologists, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is one of the most reliable sources of knowledge during disease outbreaks.

But now, with the world in desperate need of authoritative information, one of the foremost agencies for fighting infectious disease has gone conspicuously silent.

For the first time since 1946, when the CDC came to life in a cramped Atlanta office to fight malaria, the agency is not at the front line of a public health emergency.

On April 22, CDC director Robert Redfield stood at the White House briefing room lectern and conceded that the coronavirus pandemic had "overwhelmed" the United States.

Following Redfield at the podium, President Donald Trump said the CDC director had been "totally misquoted" in his warning that COVID-19 would continue to pose serious difficulties as the US moved into its winter flu season in late 2020.

Invited to clarify, Redfield confirmed he had been quoted correctly in giving his opinion that there were potentially "difficult and complicated" times ahead.

Trump tried a different tack. "You may not even have corona coming back," the President said, once again contradicting the career virologist. "Just so you understand."

The exchange was interpreted by some pundits as confirmation that the CDC's venerated expertise had been sidelined as the coronavirus continued to ravage the US.

In the latest development, the New York Times reported this week the CDC has even been bypassed in its data collection, with the Trump administration ordering hospitals to send COVID-19 data directly to the White House.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-18/us-coronavirus-data-white-house-what-it-means-for-the-world/12467322

lost in melb.
07-18-2020, 12:40 AM
Awesome, We'll finally be getting updates from a trustworthy source :)

Placid
07-18-2020, 03:14 AM
Myself and the rest of the world should now be filled with confidence that Trump is now the world's foremost expert on CV-19..... If the medical experts differ on his opinion, just silence them!

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/75113264.jpg

lost in melb.
07-18-2020, 03:54 AM
Faucci and CDC need to grease the rust off their Twitter accounts. He who shouts loudest...

Placid
07-19-2020, 01:22 AM
Faucci and CDC need to grease the rust off their Twitter accounts. He who shouts loudest...

They're probably not allowed to... :?:

perrhaps
07-19-2020, 09:48 AM

If you're implying that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, I'd remind you that it's also true that the spouting whale gets the harpoon.

RBP
07-19-2020, 12:23 PM
I'm fed up and need a break from life. This notion that we can only trust the government if they politically agree with me is making me ill.

lost in melb.
07-19-2020, 01:19 PM
I'm fed up and need a break from life. This notion that we can only trust the government if they politically agree with me is making me ill.

I've been seriously going loopy this week. Along a similar vein...

Finally persuaded my girlfriend to come over. She's been terrified of getting arrested or fined ot getting covid.. had such a nice time, we got Italian takeaway and watched Korean movies. She's got such soft skin, couldn't keep my hands off her.

Placid
07-20-2020, 03:52 AM

Very well said!!!

FBD
07-30-2020, 09:02 PM
Its amusing how as soon as it was demanded that the numbers get reported to the white house/HHS instead of compromised traitors at CDC,
-Florida immediately reduces their + count from 90k to 11k
-CDC admits they mixed all of their data from the different tests, so no way to tell what's good and what's not
-we notice a dozen or so Florida places were reporting 100% positive cases, FL and a dozen other states have issues with reporting also
-CDC takes 7 weeks to process data
-lowers it to 3 weeks when bitched at
-HHS now gives this data out daily

PorkChopSandwiches
07-31-2020, 06:41 PM
Its so weird