PDA

View Full Version : Nearly three times more people dying of flu and pneumonia than coronavirus

Teh One Who Knocks
07-22-2020, 12:28 PM
Emma Brazell for Metro.co.uk

https://i.imgur.com/4RFDG1B.jpg

Nearly three times as many people are now dying of flu and pneumonia than with coronavirus in England and Wales, new figures have revealed.

Numbers published by the Office For National Statistics show 917 flu and pneumonia deaths were registered for the week ending on July 10.

In comparison, 366 people died that week after testing positive for Covid-19 – the lowest number of deaths involving the virus in the last 16 weeks and a 31.2% decrease compared with the previous week, which saw 532 deaths.

Overall, the number of deaths registered in the same week was 6.1% (560 deaths) below the five-year average – the fourth consecutive week it has been below average.

It comes as 15 more coronavirus hospital deaths were confirmed in England on Tuesday, bringing the UK hospital death toll to 33,798.

The government has paused its official announcement of daily deaths in care homes and the wider community, amid claims Public Health England has been ‘over-exaggerating figures’.

Researchers have accused PHE of counting people as victims if they die of any cause at any time after testing positive for the virus – meaning they would still be included if they were ‘run over by a bus three months later’.

The Department for Health and Social Care said last week daily figures would come to a halt while the issue is ‘resolved’.

https://i.imgur.com/lHpVhLq.jpg

A leading scientist has claimed nearly half of NHS workers were infected with coronavirus at the peak of the pandemic.

Sir Paul Nurse, Francis Crick Institute director, told MPs today that ‘up to 45%’ of healthcare workers were infected in April – but a lack of testing meant most cases went undetected.

Meanwhile, one of the government’s top scientific advisors has poured cold water on Boris Johnson’s hope for ‘a significant return to normality’ by Christmas, warning the UK will be living with coronavirus for ‘very many, many years to come’.

Professor Sir Jeremy Farrar, a member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) and director of the Wellcome Trust, told the Commons Health and Social Care Select Committee: ‘Things will not be done by Christmas. This infection is not going away, it’s now a human endemic infection.

‘Even, actually, if we have a vaccine or very good treatments, humanity will still be living with this virus for very many, many years to come.’

Griffin
07-22-2020, 12:34 PM
I wonder how many died of flu and pneumonia at the onset but had covid listed as the COD?

PorkChopSandwiches
07-22-2020, 04:19 PM
I wonder how many died of flu and pneumonia at the onset but had covid listed as the COD?

a lot

Teh One Who Knocks
07-22-2020, 04:27 PM
It's always the Covid :hand:

KevinD
07-22-2020, 10:00 PM
Where's Lost and his thoughts? Isn't this pretty much the same thing we've been saying was going on all along?

Hugh_Janus
07-23-2020, 09:53 PM
are they all the result of the same strain of the virus?

DemonGeminiX
07-23-2020, 10:22 PM
are they all the result of the same strain of the virus?

No. Influenza is caused by a wide array of different viruses, and they mutate into new strains every year. You can get the flu shot every year, but it'll only protect you from about 40-50% of the viruses out there causing the flu. Pneumonia can be caused by a number of different viruses, bacteria, and fungi.

lost in melb.
07-26-2020, 01:58 AM
Complete opposite here.

Last year, there were over 900 influenza-linked deaths in Australia.

But until the end of last month, federal authorities had only been alerted to 36 "laboratory-confirmed influenza-associated deaths" in 2020, according to the Australian Influenza Surveillance Report.

Whatever that translates to in real numbers

lost in melb.
07-26-2020, 01:59 AM
Where's Lost and his thoughts? Isn't this pretty much the same thing we've been saying was going on all along?

Quite different entomology here

Griffin
07-26-2020, 02:20 AM
Last year, there were over 900 influenza-linked deaths in Australia.

But until the end of last month, federal authorities had only been alerted to 36 "laboratory-confirmed influenza-associated deaths" in 2020, according to the Australian Influenza Surveillance Report.

Sounds like the US aren't the only ones padding the covid numbers.

https://i.imgflip.com/49foxy.jpg

lost in melb.
07-26-2020, 02:26 AM
Sounds like the US aren't the only ones padding the covid numbers.

https://i.imgflip.com/49foxy.jpg

That was flu numbers :)

Our covid is at 150 deaths. Yours at nearly 150,000

We're not padding any numbers. It's not a political issue here (yet,)

Griffin
07-26-2020, 02:41 AM
They say 150,000 attributed to covid, but we know there where other causes.
and it was never about politics, it is about controlling people.

To that end, using inflated stats for the US has had GREAT results in controlling the rest of the planet as well as the liberal minds here.

lost in melb.
07-26-2020, 02:52 AM
They say 150,000 attributed to covid, but we know there where other causes.
and it was never about politics, it is about controlling people.

To that end, using inflated stats for the US has had GREAT results in controlling the rest of the planet as well as the liberal minds here.

I'm not going to go into obvious questions like who is controlling who? :?

but I take you at your word. There could be government control things going on in the US. I'll let you be the judge of that.

Again, I can absolutely assure you that our government definitely isn't into controlling people. The moment things improved we lifted the restrictions. Different states have different rules. Border checkpoints, restrictions etc. are purely related to number of new covid cases per day in each state and such rules are flexible and responsive to the health crisis, not politically driven.

RBP
07-26-2020, 03:48 AM
I'm not going to go into obvious questions like who is controlling who? :?

but I take you at your word. There could be government control things going on in the US. I'll let you be the judge of that.

Again, I can absolutely assure you that our government definitely isn't into controlling people. The moment things improved we lifted the restrictions. Different states have different rules. Border checkpoints, restrictions etc. are purely related to number of new covid cases per day in each state and such rules are flexible and responsive to the health crisis, not politically driven.

The greatest way to enslave a population is to convince it that it is free.

lost in melb.
07-26-2020, 04:17 AM
The greatest way to enslave a population is to convince it that it is free.

Yeah, but since you are implicitly commenting on my culture, with due respect look where your relative? freedoms got you. I'm not saying it's the clusterfuck that MSM portrays it to be, but it's hardly the poster boy.

My rational take is it unfettered capitalism leads to an under class that is missing out and that's what you're seeing now. You can always say that a certain percentage of the population is lazy and doesn't want to work or whatever. But when that percentage is over 50% you've got to wonder if the system is at fault

RBP
07-26-2020, 04:46 AM
Yeah, but since you are implicitly commenting on my culture, with due respect look where your relative? freedoms got you. I'm not saying it's the clusterfuck that MSM portrays it to be, but it's hardly the poster boy.

My rational take is it unfettered capitalism leads to an under class that is missing out and that's what you're seeing now. You can always say that a certain percentage of the population is lazy and doesn't want to work or whatever. But when that percentage is over 50% you've got to wonder if the system is at fault

I was just being flippant. :lol: You think I offer you trans thai hookers when I'm sober?

And I completely agree that this is all economic. I have been very consistent in that assertion.

lost in melb.
07-26-2020, 05:03 AM
I forget it's Saturday night there :)

Hikari Kisugi
07-26-2020, 08:51 AM

Very few in the Uk due to the way we manipulated the figures

lost in melb.
07-26-2020, 11:50 AM
Very few in the Uk due to the way we manipulated the figures

So what's the true number then? I didn't realise that the UK government was in the business of making numbers up, but I guess from an Irishman's perspective they might be full of crap

Hikari Kisugi
07-26-2020, 01:54 PM
In the UK to be announced at part of a death for COVID, you have to die in hospital on a COVID ward after being diagnosed with COVID.
Every so often they add in the figures from elsewhere, nursing homes etc.
They don't want the figures to look too bad, so they massage it slightly, it is why the 'deaths above average' is a better figure here.
It also demonstrated that non-COVID deaths dropped during the various phases of outbreak, likely postponed heart attacks etc as people were not working, and on furlough thus less stressed.

So as we're now 3 weeks of slightly under the average death rate, that is certainly a promising sign, as long as the infection rate doesn't bounce.

<iframe height="861px" width="100%" src="https://www.ons.gov.uk/visualisations/dvc910/fig1/index.html"></iframe>

<iframe height="861px" width="100%" src="https://www.ons.gov.uk/visualisations/dvc910/fig1/index.html"></iframe>

-edit
Sorry i can't get that nice table copied in.

-edit2
I think it is important, when you look at the ends of the table, you see that flu deaths in the UK are lower than normal too at the moment, even if they are 3 times the COVID deaths, they are also down, reason most likely being socially distancing helps with flu too.
So the 3* click bait, doesn't hold up to any scrutiny, as its a pure strawman.

Finally got the table

https://i.imgur.com/32uS7BO.jpg