PDA

View Full Version : LSU launches committee to determine if building names are racist

Teh One Who Knocks
08-17-2020, 11:40 AM
Jezzamine Wolk, Reporter - Campus Reform

https://i.imgur.com/a722pp8l.jpg

Louisiana State University announced Tuesday that it has established a committee dedicated to reviewing and studying building names on campus. The 16-member committee- composed of LSU students, faculty, staff, and alumni- will determine if the building names are “symbols of or monuments to racism.”

In June, LSU made headlines for stripping the name of former university President Troy Middleton (1951-62) from its library.

During his tenure, Middleton opposed desegregating the campus.

However, not everyone agreed with the removal of Middleton’s name. Former state lawmaker Woody Jenkins, on behalf of the Middleton family, cited Middleton's military service in World War I and World War II. Jenkins also noted Middleton’s change of heart in the 1960s, as part of a biracial commission to integrate Louisiana and enforce the Civil Rights Act.

“LSU is committed to eliminating building and place names that are a reminder of a racist and segregated past and that inhibit our students’ learning and full inclusion on campus,” Interim President Tom Galligan said in the email announcing the new committee.

According to Galligan, recommendations to remove building names will go through multiple approvals but will be first evaluated by the new committee. The final say comes down to the University Board of Supervisors.

In an overall push to create a more inclusive campus community, LSU held an “Inclusion, Equity, and Diversity Leadership Retreat” on July 1, where nine committees were created to enact the policies in the "Diversity & Inclusion Roadmap 2020-2022."

The school did not specify the specific committees created, although it did outline goals such as “make recommendations regarding creation of an LGBTQ+ Center on campus” and “create at least one full-time professional staff position to meet needs of LGBTQ+ communities.”

FBD
08-17-2020, 01:02 PM
colleges have jumped the shark

Teh One Who Knocks
08-17-2020, 01:07 PM
colleges have jumped the shark

For many, many years now. They are all falling all over each other to see which university can be the most "woke". My kid is a Junior in high school this year and I am having a harder and harder time recommending she go to college after she graduates (depending on what she wants to do with her life).

Muddy
08-17-2020, 05:59 PM
'Mammy Dorm' and 'spook hall' may be on the list..

PorkChopSandwiches
08-18-2020, 03:31 PM
:roll:

Muddy
08-18-2020, 03:34 PM
"Black ass mother fucker library"

FBD
08-18-2020, 03:38 PM
For many, many years now. They are all falling all over each other to see which university can be the most "woke". My kid is a Junior in high school this year and I am having a harder and harder time recommending she go to college after she graduates (depending on what she wants to do with her life).

I told my kid not to go to college unless he had something he knew he wanted to do with it. He went anyway just to get away from everyone, and thanks to my parents saving like mad for him since he was born, he emerged from college debt free. My niece could have gone to college this year but didnt go, didnt know what she wanted to do and we told her about the staggering debt for nothing that's going to happen if she just goes just to go....now she's thinking of becoming a heli pilot, and my nephew is still hoping he can take slapshots for a career :lol:

FBD
08-18-2020, 03:38 PM
"Black ass mother fucker library"

hey, blackass! why you didnt moon us sooner, eh?
/Halfbaked