PDA

View Full Version : Former White House adviser Steve Bannon indicted on fraud charges

Teh One Who Knocks
08-20-2020, 05:26 PM
By Lia Eustachewich - New York Post

https://i.imgur.com/NMSD3Iw.jpg

Former White House adviser Steve Bannon has been indicted on charges he defrauded donors to a $25 million campaign to build a border wall, federal prosecutors in Manhattan said Thursday.

Bannon and others are accused of ripping off donations to the “We Build the Wall” GoFundMe fundraiser that was launched in December 2018.

Audrey Strauss, acting US attorney for the Southern District of New York, said the defendants “defrauded hundreds of thousands of donors, capitalizing on their interest in funding a border wall to raise millions of dollars, under the false pretense that all of that money would be spent on construction.”

Bannon, the former chief strategist for President Trump, personally pocketed $1 million in contributions meant for construction of the border wall, funneled through a nonprofit under his control, prosecutors alleged.

Meanwhile, “We Build the Wall” founder Brian Kolfage, 38, promised donors he wouldn’t take a single penny from the pot — but Bannon and their cohorts “secretly schemed to pass hundreds of thousands of dollars to Kolfage, which he used to fund his lavish lifestyle,” Strauss said.

Though it was an initial hit, raising $17,000,000 in its first week of launching, GoFundMe yanked “We Build the Wall,” saying Kolfage, a Purple Heart recipient, needed to transfer the funds to a nonprofit organization — or else they’d be returned.

Kolfage, Bannon and Andrew Badolato, 56, a venture capitalist Bannon was already working with, formed the nonprofit We Build the Wall Inc., which promised to fund the private construction of the border wall.

Donors were reassured that the funds wouldn’t be misused — because they’d have to “opt in” to having their donation transferred to the nonprofit, as Kolfage insisted he would “not take a penny in salary or compensation,” the indictment said.

The brazen crew capitalized on Kolfage’s promise, with Badolato saying it “removes all self-interest taint” and “gives [B]rian Kolfage saint hood,” according to the filing.

The alleged cover allowed Bannon, Kolfage, Badolato and a fourth man, Timothy Shea, to broker a secret deal to pay Kolfage $100,000 up front and then $20,000 a month in payments that were allegedly passed through Bannon’s nonprofit and a shell company controlled by Shea, court papers said.

Bannon, however, made it clear he was running the show, prosecutors alleged.

There would be “no deals I don’t approve,” he texted Badolato.

Some of the payouts were concealed as payments to Kolfage’s wife for “media,” with others marked for “social media.”

“As far as [the public] know[s] no one is getting paid,” Kolfage texted Badolato. He also wrote that “salaries will never be disclosed.”

By May 2019, the nonprofit faced mounting scrutiny from the public after failing to start construction on the wall. At the time, Kolfage repeated claims that the group would “break ground in a matter of days.”

He also told donors that “there’s no update because we are remaining silent for a very good reason.”

Five months later, the foursome caught wind that the feds were probing their alleged scheme — and began using encrypted messaging services. They also changed We Build the Wall’s website to remove any mention that Kolfage was not being compensated, adding a statement that Kolfage would start receiving a salary in January 2020.

All told, Bannon raked in $1 million through his nonprofit — with some of the funds going toward Kolfage’s monthly payments and other personal expenses, prosecutors claimed.

Kolfage, a triple amputee who lives in Florida, allegedly swiped more than $350,000, blowing it on a boat, luxury SUV, golf cart, jewelry, cosmetic surgery, personal tax payments and credit card debt, the indictment said.

Badolato and Shea, 49, also received “hundreds of thousands of dollars in donor funds.”

The four men are each charged with one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and one count of conspiracy to commit money laundering.

Each charge carries up to 20 years in prison.

All four were arrested Thursday morning, with Bannon, 66, scheduled to appear in Manhattan federal court later in the afternoon.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-20-2020, 07:44 PM
https://i.imgur.com/jNL1KDfl.jpg

lost in melb.
08-20-2020, 08:30 PM
Poor Don. I mea...it's so hard picking out a potential scumbag, there's no way to know :(

FBD
08-20-2020, 08:39 PM
If only Andrew were still here, but he opened his mouth too soon

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-EJq-YmGwyNA/WDw0sOuq_EI/AAAAAAAAgDU/ZPbXPTmbU40mJhXqBH1jdYz72FB4YFBfQCLcB/s1600/Untitled.jpg

lost in melb.
08-20-2020, 08:48 PM
Who woulda guessed. Such a run of bad luck that the Don has. No way to detect in their demeanor :( :( [-(

FBD
08-20-2020, 09:04 PM
Ya know what the beauty of this is? That they can get all kinds of people riled up about charity fraud....and then go after the rest of it....and you KNOW where that's going! :woot:

26d chess, baby! :dance:

FBD
08-21-2020, 07:19 PM
Former White House strategist Steve Bannon appeared no worse for wear during his "War Room Pandemic" podcast on Friday - just one day after posting $5 million bail after his arrest on charges of wire fraud and money laundering related to his involvement with Build the Wall - a nonprofit organized by wounded Air Force veteran Brian Kolfage, which raised over $25 million via crowdfunding and built a half-mile section of border wall in Hidalgo County, Texas.

Bannon pleaded not guilty, and was in full fight mode during Friday's podcast.

"This fiasco is a total political hit-job. The timing is exquisite" in the run-up to the 2020 election, said Bannon, adding "I think it is probably the most important election of our time because the stakes now are so high."

"I'm not gonna back down," Bannon added. "Everybody knows I love a fight. I was called a honey-badger for many years. I'm in this for the long-haul. I'm in this for the fight. I'm going to continue to fight. This was to stop and intimidate people that want to talk about the wall. This is to stop and intimidate people that have President Trump's back on building the wall," he said.

Speaking of Brian Kolfage, Bannon said:

"One thing I can tell you from the heroic effort we did and really, Brian Kolfage - who's an American Hero. Brian Kolfage is, I think the most wounded airman in the history of the Air Force, to survive. He's a triple-amputee. Almost bled out multiple times after he was hit during the Afghan and Iraq war. And just an American hero. The pain and nagging that guy still goes through every day - he has dedicated his life, he had this idea, he has dedicated his life to building this wall." -Steve Bannon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzbDHGcHDV0

Jack Shafer
@jackshafer
Steve Bannon had an estimated worth of $48 million in 2017 according to Forbes and a purported stake in Seinfeld syndication. Unless absolutely mad, why would he grift $1 million in a build the wall scheme?
10:01 AM · Aug 21, 2020
Good question, Jack. Good question. While having some millions doesnt necessarily preclude one from trying to obtain further millions, this whole thing is pretty suspect.