PDA

View Full Version : Louisiana AG warns violent crime in US will reach 'epidemic' levels: 'There's a tipping point that's coming in this country'

Teh One Who Knocks
08-21-2020, 09:44 AM
By Ronn Blitzer | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/7NkO8nil.jpg

Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry believes that it was inevitable that violent crime in the U.S. will get worse and warns that given the current state of affairs in cities across the country, the worst is yet to come.

In a phone interview with Fox News, Landry said that while he has tried to be tough on crime in his state, he realized years ago that in other parts of the country there were signs that crime would reach “epidemic” levels.

"When I became attorney general back in 2016, one of the first things that we tackled was we took a very proactive fight against crime," Landry said. "I predicted four and five years ago that this country was headed towards an extreme violent crime outbreak, that it was going to become an epidemic."

With homicides and gun violence on the rise in cities across the country, Landry said he is not surprised.

“I called that. And this thing is something that’s been building, and has only been heightened by this particular lawlessness,” he said. “I do believe that there’s a tipping point that’s coming in this country because I believe that every violent crime creates an exponential number of victims.”

Pushes to overhaul law enforcement across the country by stripping police department of funds will not help matters either, according to Landry, who is a Republican.

“I can tell you that defunding the police is certainly not an answer,” he said.

Landry and like-minded colleagues in the Republican Attorneys General Association are gearing up for their summer meeting, planned around the timing of the Republican National Convention. Democrats are winding down their convention this week, and Landry is not confident in how their candidates would address crime if elected to office.

Landry said the ticket of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris is the most liberal “that has ever been placed before the American voter in the history of this country.” He accused Harris of being “bipolar” on crime, saying that she was tough on crime in the past, but now appears to be changing her position.

Harris has supported the decision of Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti to slash funding for police by approximately $150 million, and has stated that she believes in reallocating money from police to other social programs. The movement to defund police gained momentum following the death of George in Minneapolis. Floyd’s death sparked a nationwide movement against police brutality and treatment of Black Americans in particular.

Landry took issue with Democrats’ claims that the criminal justice system is plagued by systemic racism, pointing out that many of the large cities where people claim racism is the problem are run by Democrats and have been for years.

“If there's systemic racism in Chicago or in Minnesota, then that means Democrats are responsible for that systemic racism because they have been in control, they have been running those cities and those police departments for decades now,” he said.

DemonGeminiX
08-21-2020, 10:10 AM
Vote Republican and it'll stop.

lost in melb.
08-21-2020, 11:36 AM
Except it's pure propaganda.

linking crime and votes simply doesn’t reflect how crime works. Studies have repeatedly found that urban crime is not a widespread phenomenon — like voting is — but a product of small groups of people in small areas.

If you just look at law and order, crime prevention will utterly fail.

FBD
08-21-2020, 12:00 PM
Studies have repeatedly found that urban crime is not a widespread phenomenon

I'm sure its pure coincidence, then, where all the violence is and what policital party controls those cities

DemonGeminiX
08-21-2020, 12:06 PM
Except it's pure propaganda.

If you just look at law and order, crime prevention will utterly fail.

Ok. Start with education. Teach the values that I learned when I was in school, instead of the leftist garbage they're teaching now. Start with the golden rule and right vs wrong. Let discipline back in schools like it was when I was in school. Teach civics again. Then let law enforcement act to the letter of the law and quit caring about the feels.... I bet things will straighten out pretty damn quick.

Goofy
08-21-2020, 12:30 PM
Ok. Start with education. Teach the values that I learned when I was in school, instead of the leftist garbage they're teaching now. Start with the golden rule and right vs wrong. Let discipline back in schools like it was when I was in school. Teach civics again. Then let law enforcement act to the letter of the law and quit caring about the feels.... I bet things will straighten out pretty damn quick.
Exactly - fear of arrest/jail is not what stops me commiting crimes, being brought up by good parents with morals and knowing in my heart what's right and what's wrong is the reason.

Griffin
08-21-2020, 12:32 PM
Now they just teach their kids to fear cops, run and hide when they see one.

FBD
08-21-2020, 12:46 PM
Now they just teach their kids to fear cops, run and hide when they see one.

and that they dindu nuffin

Teh One Who Knocks
08-21-2020, 01:32 PM
Exactly - fear of arrest/jail is not what stops me commiting crimes, being brought up by good parents with morals and knowing in my heart what's right and what's wrong is the reason.

That's crazy talk :hand:

FBD
08-21-2020, 01:45 PM
:lol:

lost in melb.
08-21-2020, 02:22 PM
I'm sure its pure coincidence, then, where all the violence is and what political party controls those cities

https://www.quora.com/Are-there-any-riots-in-cities-with-Republican-mayors

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53525440

since you didn't listen (mr details), here it is

Studies have repeatedly found that urban crime is not a widespread phenomenon — like voting is — but a product of small groups of people in small areas.

One 2015 study examined crime networks in Chicago and found 70% of nonfatal gun injuries occur within networks that contain just 6% of the city’s population. Another study that year found crime across a number of cities was concentrated in "microgeographic hot spots."

Weisburd said his research revealed a "law of crime concentration": Across an array of large cities, 1% of city streets account for about 25% of the crime, and 5% of streets account for about 50% of the crime.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/jun/24/facebook-posts/claim-about-violence-democratic-cities-overreaches/

FBD
08-21-2020, 02:29 PM
https://www.quora.com/Are-there-any-riots-in-cities-with-Republican-mayors

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53525440

since you didn't listen (mr details), here it is

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/jun/24/facebook-posts/claim-about-violence-democratic-cities-overreaches/

Sure I did :lol:

I have a low-intensity investigation into this question. It’s not the most statistically relevant

dunno why you included the bbc link, it doesnt really support your argument

and politifact hand waves this away by saying its correlation, not causation, focuses on a single facebook post and its points,
and further obfuscates by

We’re taking this claim to refer to the politics of the city as a whole, rather than the leadership

GIGO brotha

lost in melb.
08-21-2020, 02:33 PM
Sure I did :lol:

dunno why you included the bbc link, it doesnt really support your argument

and politifact hand waves this away by saying its correlation, not causation, focuses on a single facebook post and its points,
and further obfuscates by

GIGO brotha

It's a separate argument. There's no increase in crime this year

lost in melb.
08-21-2020, 02:41 PM

We don't live in that world anymore. Crime rates are way down compared when you were back in school, btw. The world is defo a better place than the 80s. Perhaps you don't like the particular 'flavour' of the progress?

https://www.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/FT_19.10.14_CrimeTrends_1.png

lost in melb.
08-21-2020, 02:42 PM

Well, it kind of supports both our points.

You were able to have time with your parents because of the 8 hour day. And able to attend school because of free education. These are, believe it or not, the consequence of progressive social movements. And speaking generally there is a lot more available in terms of assistance for parenting than 100 years ago.

FBD
08-21-2020, 02:54 PM
We don't live in that world anymore. Crime rates are way down compared when you were back in school, btw. The world is defo a better place than the 80s. Perhaps you don't like the particular 'flavour' of the progress?

There's no doubt that crime has decreased dramatically since the early 90s - but that's sorta moving the goalpost for the argument here, this spike in crime we saw this year is only obfuscated by expanding the context capriciously.

lost in melb.
08-21-2020, 02:57 PM
There's no doubt that crime has decreased dramatically since the early 90s - but that's sorta moving the goalpost for the argument here, this spike in crime we saw this year is only obfuscated by expanding the context capriciously.

Ok, appreciated. and I'm going to concede that some/many (but not all) of those city dems have clearly lost their way.

Muddy
08-21-2020, 03:18 PM
Lost, we have an epidemic right now where law enforcement is being actively told to stand down against criminals.. I live 10 minutes from Richmond, bro.. I see first hand what is happening.. It started after this George Floyd mess.

DemonGeminiX
08-21-2020, 09:36 PM

So you're going to sit there and tell me that you think that parents raising responsible and respectful children, being taught discipline, accepting the consequences of their actions, and respect for the law is a bad thing? That being taught proper knowledge in school is wrong?

lost in melb.
08-23-2020, 02:13 AM
you think that parents raising responsible and respectful children, being taught discipline, accepting the consequences of their actions, and respect for the law is a bad thing? That being taught proper knowledge in school is wrong?

I'm not saying that. I just think that it's a different world, the more authoritarian type of parenting doesn't wash so much nowadays. For example, it illegal to hit your kid. it is mostly better than a permissive style though, I will grant you..

I actually run parenting groups to teach parents how to handle difficult teens. As is suitable for the year 2020, it is a hands off relationship building process based on research. I'm sure you think it's a lot of left wing rubbish so I won't even go into the details...

So you're going to sit there and tell me that

Yes, this is my preferred position while posting...

DemonGeminiX
08-23-2020, 08:51 AM
I'm not saying that. I just think that it's a different world, the more authoritarian type of parenting doesn't wash so much nowadays. For example, it illegal to hit your kid. it is mostly better than a permissive style though, I will grant you..

I actually run parenting groups to teach parents how to handle difficult teens. As is suitable for the year 2020, it is a hands off relationship building process based on research. I'm sure you think it's a lot of left wing rubbish so I won't even go into the details...

There's a reason why I'm not running around killing people or beating people up or burning shit down or looting stores every time something happens that I don't agree with, or when ever I run into people with opinions that differ with mine. Authoritarian child raising. Being taught discipline, respect for society, for the law, for elders (when they deserve it). Living in a society that's based upon rule of law is implicitly authoritarian by nature. This is the world we live in. You just don't sweep it away because of feels. That's bullshit. And mark my words, we are going to get back to it. Once everybody wakes up and realizes that this leftist crap is what's causing all of this stupidity, we will get back to it. Those leftist run cities are starting to demand more policing already.

Wanna know the real secret to handling difficult teens? Raise your kids right to begin with so that they don't become difficult when they get older. It works.

Yes, this is my preferred position while posting...

:slap:

FBD
08-23-2020, 12:41 PM
My oldest niece.....my brother & wife let her become an absolute monster.....until about 5 years old and then they said to themselves, ok, this is just going to get worse unless we put our foot down. Now of course she's a well disciplined and organized 19 year old who holds a supervisory position at her job.

That's what I keep telling my other friend, who's son is 6 now and they let him get away with farrrrrr too much....bro you cant wait forever because it gets harder the later you wait.

Then again, contrast to my son, I always just spoke to him very straightforward like he was an adult, I never had to discipline him even once. Ok maybe when he was bold at 4 I picked him up with one hand by his jacket and put him against the wall and told him to behave himself, but that's about the worst of it. I'm guessing he witnessed enough other wackery to know being undisciplined is not a good thing.

But when its the case of veritable "we taught him wrong, on purpose" like you get with a lot of the neglect that passes for parenting...

imho, this globalist bullshit of go to jail if you spank your kid is just more "fuck society" bankster bullshit where its a natural downstream result of the destruction of the family unit. (the state will tell you how to raise your kid and how far you can go in making sure the fucker doesnt misbehave)

DemonGeminiX
08-23-2020, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I see the same shit with my cousin's kid. She got a divorce and it was a long and ugly one. Her piece of shit ex-husband used the kid as leverage, so neither one of them disciplined the kid when he fucked up. She's timid as hell anyway, like her mother was (don't even ask me what kind of useless piece of shit my cousin's brother is, he was never disciplined as a kid either. Their dad died when they were both really young), so she's not gonna do right by him and teach him discipline. Just constant appeasement. The little fucker's a psychopath now, and he ain't even 10 yet. She brought him down here to visit, and not even 30 minutes with the kid and I wanted to kill him and save the world from the hell he's going wreak on it when he gets older.

Contrast that with my nephews, both of who are in college now, and are as straight and as narrow and as respectful and hardworking as can be. My brother raised those boys right, even after getting divorced from their crazy ass useless mother, who neither one of the boys want anything to do with.

lost in melb.
08-24-2020, 03:06 AM
There's a reason why I'm not running around killing people or beating people up or burning shit down or looting stores every time something happens that I don't agree with, or when ever I run into people with opinions that differ with mine. Authoritarian child raising. Being taught discipline, respect for society, for the law, for elders (when they deserve it). Living in a society that's based upon rule of law is implicitly authoritarian by nature. This is the world we live in. You just don't sweep it away because of feels. That's bullshit. And mark my words, we are going to get back to it. Once everybody wakes up and realizes that this leftist crap is what's causing all of this stupidity, we will get back to it. Those leftist run cities are starting to demand more policing already.

Wanna know the real secret to handling difficult teens? Raise your kids right to begin with so that they don't become difficult when they get older. It works.

I agree that something has swung in the wrong direction. I think the leftist connection is particularly prevalent in the u.s., I don't know why, but I'm going to guess it is rampant unfettered immigration, political games and lingering guilt over racial segregation. Also there's a bit of a cultural thing amongst ooger booga culture of letting your kids run riot, particularly boys. Builds confidence supposedly. totally unstructured home environment where the family doesn't even sit down to eat together (I have some clients at my school from ooga booga background)

There is also, well poverty and prejudice and ignorance, so I agree with you but I like to factor in lots of things. You advocate stronger parenting, but also strongly disavowal any teaching of parents to parent.

It's not just US in fairness, Germanic countries fucked up for a while but they're learning from the mistakes ( immigrant rapist crisis). We have almost completely learnt from our mistakes- there are virtually no ghettos or enclaves here, and 2 days into the last leftist protest we had in Melbourne, where protest turned from yelling to blockading our moderate leftist government ordered police horses in.

lost in melb.
08-24-2020, 03:06 AM
:slap:

:nana: