PDA

View Full Version : Democrat Charles Schumer: Eliminating Filibuster Not ‘Off The Table’ If Biden Wins, We Control Senate

Teh One Who Knocks
08-21-2020, 10:14 AM
By Ryan Saavedra - The Daily Wire

https://i.imgur.com/RPlFFi8l.jpg

Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-NY) said during an interview this week that eliminating the filibuster was not “off the table” if Democrat presidential nominee Joe Biden wins and Democrats take control of the Senate.

Schumer was asked about the filibuster after former President Barack Obama said last month, “And if all this takes eliminating the filibuster — another Jim Crow relic — in order to secure the God-given rights of every American, then that’s what we should do.”

“We have a moral imperative to the people of America to get a whole lot done if we get the majority, which, God willing, we will, and keep it in the House, and Biden becomes president, and nothing is off the table,” Schumer said.

“We will do what it takes to get this done,” Schumer continued. “I’m hopeful, maybe if Trump goes and McConnell is no longer leader, some Republicans might work with us. But we’re going to have to get it done, whether they work with us or not.”

Democrats eliminated the filibuster for most nominations in 2013, under Obama, which has benefited the Trump administration as it has re-shaped the federal courts.

The Hill reported:

Supporters of getting rid of the procedure – which would likely be lowered to a simple majority – argue that without the change, major parts of the Democratic agenda from health care to combating climate change and structural reforms would hit a buzz saw in the Senate because Republicans could filibuster any piece of legislation, requiring that it overcome the 60-vote hurdle to move forward.

Both Schumer and Senate Minority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), Schumer’s No. 2, indicated last year that they were open to the idea, though Schumer – expected to be the majority leader if Democrats get control in November – has said the focus should first be on winning back the Senate.

Republicans currently control the Senate with a 53-47 majority. At least two Senators, Joe Manchin (D-WV) and Angus King (I-ME) have voiced opposition to eliminating the filibuster.

As a senator, Obama expressed disapproval of eliminating the filibuster, saying that any efforts to eliminate it were “more about power than about fairness.”

“I believe some of my colleagues propose this rule change because they can get away with it rather than because they know it is good for our democracy,” Obama said. “If the right of free and open debate is taken away from the minority party and the millions of Americans who ask us to be their voice, I fear the partisan atmosphere in Washington will be poisoned to the point where no one will be able to agree on anything.”

“What [the American people] don’t expect is for one party, be it Republican or Democrat, to change the rules in the middle of the game so they can make all the decisions while the other party is told to sit down and keep quiet,” Obama continued. “The American people want less partisanship in this town, but everyone in this Chamber knows that if the majority chooses to end the filibuster, if they choose to change the rules and put an end to democratic debate, then the fighting, the bitterness, and the gridlock will only get worse. I understand that Republicans are getting a lot of pressure to do this from factions outside the Chamber, but we need to rise above ‘the ends justify the means’ mentality because we are here to answer to the people–all of the people, not just the ones who are wearing our particular party label.”

DemonGeminiX
08-21-2020, 10:16 AM
:nono:

Be careful what you wish for.

FBD
08-21-2020, 12:03 PM
:lol: Chucky, you're not going to be in any position to eliminate a filibuster before too long, youre hands arent going to be gripping a pen to sign shit, they are going to be gripping fkn steel bars!

Muddy
08-21-2020, 04:42 PM
Aren't filibusters stupid trickery?

DemonGeminiX
08-21-2020, 05:39 PM
Aren't filibusters stupid trickery?

It's a delay tactic. I wouldn't call it trickery.

FBD
08-21-2020, 07:29 PM
It's a delay tactic. I wouldn't call it trickery.

I'd call it a delay leading to trickery tactic, because its usually used when its close enough that they can hold up the vote while they try and convince some people to go against their constituents interests....well, depending on who said constituents actually are, because people like Schumer, his true constituents are not the citizens of New York state.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-25-2020, 04:03 PM
“We have a moral imperative to the people of America to get a whole lot done if we get the majority, which, God willing, we will, and keep it in the House, and Biden becomes president, and nothing is off the table,” Schumer said.

When have they ever got anything done

FBD
08-25-2020, 05:02 PM
they lined right up when it was time to vote for the iraq war and the 2008 bailouts

lost in melb.
08-25-2020, 09:14 PM
:lol: Chucky, you're not going to be in any position to eliminate a filibuster before too long, youre hands arent going to be gripping a pen to sign shit, they are going to be gripping fkn steel bars!

Do you really believe that? None of these people are going to jail, either side

FBD
08-26-2020, 12:05 PM
Do you really believe that? None of these people are going to jail, either side

the big time corrupt ones, yes. they didnt make massive upgrades of the communications system and add all kinds of handicap access at gitmo for nothin ;) they increased the capacity at gitmo too :evil:

lost in melb.
08-27-2020, 03:25 AM
the big time corrupt ones, yes. they didnt make massive upgrades of the communications system and add all kinds of handicap access at gitmo for nothin ;) they increased the capacity at gitmo too :evil:

High-profile opponents of Trump are traitors and you, along with your QAnon brethren, would like to see such 'traitors' incarcerated or executed. Thanks for clarifying :thumbsup:

DemonGeminiX
08-27-2020, 10:03 AM
Actually, if the founding fathers were alive today and held true to their original ideals, then they'd call every single politician of the past 150+ years traitors.

:lol:

lost in melb.
08-27-2020, 10:16 AM
:lol: ok...

FBD
08-27-2020, 12:13 PM
High-profile opponents of Trump are traitors and you, along with your QAnon brethren, would like to see such 'traitors' incarcerated or executed. Thanks for clarifying :thumbsup:
Yes absolutely, but the reason they are traitors doesnt causally flow from their being "an opponent of Trump's"

Actually, if the founding fathers were alive today and held true to their original ideals, then they'd call every single politician of the past 150+ years traitors.

:lol:
https://media.tenor.com/images/b88aaec19e0ceb4ca47c859f410f6908/tenor.png

:lol: ok...
Since 1871, when "A government for washington DC" was installed - when washington DC already had a functioning government.

lost in melb.
08-27-2020, 12:59 PM
Yes absolutely, but the reason they are traitors doesnt causally flow from their being "an opponent of Trump's"

:uhhuh:

https://media.tenor.com/images/b88aaec19e0ceb4ca47c859f410f6908/tenor.png

Since 1871, when "A government for washington DC" was installed - when washington DC already had a functioning government.

Interesting..

FBD
08-27-2020, 01:13 PM
Interesting..

1871 was a bad year for planet earth - the governments of the USA, Germany, and Canada got overtaken by major sweeping changes. 1871 saw all of the corporations of the United States get created. In the name of the Acts of 1871 was "to provide a government for washington dc" and we all know that it already had a government in washington DC. But lesser known is that in the discovering of the original 13th amendment, which would have prevented attorneys from becoming citizens or having government positions (esp the BAR British Accredited Registry that is a foreign hack job upon the USA)...the original actually had a different name - and if that's so...change the name of a legal document and its no longer the same legal document.

The constitution of the United States was written in 1871 and is the corporate forgery upon which the major transgressions against the USA are founded, e.g. The Federal Reserve, the emergency banking act of 1933 where they confiscated citizens' gold, Social Security, Medicare, Dept of Education, 65 Immigration act, the myriad bank bailouts, the patriot act, and yes, Obamacare too. All unconstitutional with zero enumeration or precedent.

The Constitution For These United States of America, as the title for the original discovery of the og 13th amendment denoted.....well, that has been quietly put on a shelf since 1871.

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/the-case-of-the-missing-13th-amendment-to-the-constitution

I have a good pdf called Its Not The Law, good read...

lost in melb.
08-27-2020, 01:22 PM
Remind me of 1968 and possibly 2020 :)