PDA

View Full Version : Man speeds 187 mph through work zone on I-95 during police chase, crashes car

Teh One Who Knocks
09-08-2020, 10:24 AM
By John Payne, WRAL photojournalist

https://i.imgur.com/vbhEKtV.jpg

FOUR OAKS, N.C. — A driver was speeding through a work zone on Interstate 95 on Sunday morning, according to officials. When a State Highway Patrol trooper attempted to stop the man, he sped away from the flashing blue lights.

The driver reached a maximum speed of 187 mph in the work zone, authorities said, which had a posted spped limit of 65 mph.

He attempted to exit the interstate near Four Oaks while traveling at 100 mph, officials said.

Two troopers placed stop sticks at the U.S. Highway 701 exit to prevent the driver from driving any further. Quills in the stick "penetrate the tire and act as valves, releasing air at a safe, controlled rate," according to the manufacturer.

He crashed his car into bushes along the side of the road attempting to avoid the stop sticks on the exit.

After the crash, he was arrested by officials. No one was injured during the crash, authorities said.

https://i.imgur.com/597EUBj.jpg

The man told a firefighter at the scene that he had just purchased an Audi RS7 on Saturday and was heading to Myrtle Beach to "show it off." The driver is from Maryland.

According to Motor Authority, the Audi can reach a top speed of 190 mph if people purchase an upgraded package. Audi advertises that the car can go from 0 to 60 mph in 3.5 seconds.

The driver is facing charges of speeding in a work zone, failure to stop for blue lights and siren and fleeing to elude arrest. He was being held at the Johnston County jail under a $125,000 bond.

The name of the suspect has not yet been released.

FBD
09-08-2020, 11:53 AM
:-k
you need some space to hit that kind of speed, and was he really going that fast in a work zone?

Teh One Who Knocks
09-08-2020, 11:57 AM
you need some space to hit that kind of speed, and was he really going that fast in a work zone?

Some of the CDoT (Colorado DoT) trucks here have radar guns on the back of the vehicles parked on the side of the construction areas and they flash you your speed. Not sure if they are as accurate as the ones the cops use or not.

FBD
09-08-2020, 12:07 PM
Some of the CDoT (Colorado DoT) trucks here have radar guns on the back of the vehicles parked on the side of the construction areas and they flash you your speed. Not sure if they are as accurate as the ones the cops use or not.

:lol: they're as accurate as they're calibrated to be

Muddy
09-08-2020, 01:21 PM
Mfckr needs a hair cut.

lost in melb.
09-08-2020, 01:31 PM
Jail?

Teh One Who Knocks
09-08-2020, 01:35 PM
Jail?

:muddy:

The driver is facing charges of speeding in a work zone, failure to stop for blue lights and siren and fleeing to elude arrest. He was being held at the Johnston County jail under a $125,000 bond.

lost in melb.
09-08-2020, 01:41 PM
:muddy:

I was actually speculating if he would get some kind of sentence [-(

Teh One Who Knocks
09-08-2020, 01:43 PM
I was actually speculating if he would get some kind of sentence [-(

:uhhuh:

:outtahere:

lost in melb.
09-08-2020, 01:44 PM
:shockface:

Muddy
09-08-2020, 01:55 PM
He wont get sentenced until he go's to court and is found guilty. Could be months.

Hugh_Janus
09-08-2020, 04:33 PM

those things are no joke. To go from~50-190mph takes about 30 seconds in a much heavier and much less aerodynamic version of the same car... it doesn't need a lot of space

FBD
09-08-2020, 04:45 PM
those things are no joke. To go from~50-190mph takes about 30 seconds in a much heavier and much less aerodynamic version of the same car... it doesn't need a lot of space

you cover a shit ton of ground each second at those high speeds, 30 seconds is a veritable eternity. I used to have a sportbike and regularly went above 120 in it, but the number of instances I went over 130.....140....gets increasingly small with each notch up there, simply because of the space it took. curvy highways around here tho...

Hugh_Janus
09-08-2020, 04:49 PM
its only a couple of miles