PDA

View Full Version : Santa Monica Closes Trails After Hiker Dies In Extreme Heat

Teh One Who Knocks
09-09-2020, 10:56 AM
By Mary Papenfuss - HuffPost

https://i.imgur.com/tsZLBVsh.jpg

The California Department of Parks and Recreation closed all trails in the Santa Monica Mountains over the Labor Day weekend after a woman died hiking there in extremely high temperatures.

Other hikers had to be rescued. Malibu Search and Rescue posted a tweet pleading with people not to hike in the heat wave. National parks in Ventura County and other regional open spaces also were shut.

A 41-year-old woman whose name was not released collapsed while hiking with a friend Saturday near Calabasas as temperatures soared to at least 110 degrees, officials said. Paramedics were unable to save her.

Officials said the death was likely heat-related.
A 22-year-old woman on a Malibu beach was rescued Sunday after she lost consciousness, apparently due to the heat.
Los Angeles County recorded its highest temperature ever on Sunday — 121 degrees in Woodland Hills.
The historic heat wave in the state is fueling three raging wildfires near Fresno, in San Bernardino County and east of San Diego. Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) declared a state of emergency in five counties on Sunday.

The National Weather Service has issued an excessive heat warning through Tuesday, citing “dangerously hot conditions” and temperatures between 100 and 110 degrees Fahrenheit in certain parts of the state.

PorkChopSandwiches
09-09-2020, 02:57 PM
:facepalm:

DemonGeminiX
09-09-2020, 06:03 PM
I am still living with your ghost
Lonely and dreaming of the West Coast
I don't want to be your downtime
I don't want to be your stupid game

With my big black boots and an old suitcase
I do believe I'll find myself a new place
I don't want to be the bad guy
I don't want do your sleepwalk dance anymore
I just want to see some palm trees
I will try to shake away this disease

We can live beside the ocean
Leave the fire behind
Swim out past the breakers
Watch the world die

We can live beside the ocean
Leave the fire behind
Swim out past the breakers
Watch the world die

Muddy
09-09-2020, 06:08 PM
Thank you, nanny state... Without your powerful guiding rule we might all die.

DemonGeminiX
09-09-2020, 06:44 PM

Porky's overlords say "You're welcome".

Teh One Who Knocks
09-09-2020, 06:46 PM

Somebody DID die, so it shows people aren't smart enough to stay off the trail in 110° heat unless they do close it :lol:

lost in melb.
09-10-2020, 11:48 PM
A 22-year-old woman on a Malibu beach was rescued Sunday after she lost consciousness, apparently due to the heat.

We do this incredible thing here where if you get too hot at the beach you go into the water for a minute or two... But it takes a special kind of genius to figure this out