PDA

View Full Version : Queensland nurse gives distressed patient bizarre masturbation advice

Teh One Who Knocks
09-21-2020, 10:06 AM
Natalie Brown - news.com.au

https://i.imgur.com/8uwdXH8.jpg

Queensland Health has been forced to issue an apology after a 13 Health hotline nurse gave bizarre advice to a distressed caller, rather than immediately directing her to the emergency department.

The health department is investigating the nurse, who told the patient – who had called regarding severe abdominal pain – to masturbate under the shower and rub oil on her anus.

The Gold Coast Bulletin reports that the woman had just undergone a serious operation, and had called the hotline late at night as a last resort because of her level of pain.

"We apologise for any distress caused to the patient, which is why we took immediate action including launching an investigation and making direct contact with the patient to follow up and apologise," a Queensland Health spokeswoman told news.com.au.

The hotline, operated by Queensland Health, receives around 100 calls per day – though the number of calls has surged during the coronavirus pandemic – and is operated 24 hours a day, seven days a week, by a team of close to 170 registered nurses.

Staff at the helpline have at least four years experience as registered nurses, and regularly complete training in critical thinking and clinical reasoning.

The nurse in question, who is currently not working, is believed to have five years experience.

Only doctors are allowed to diagnose patients who call the helpline, with staff given strict guidelines on how to respond to callers.

While the service is not an emergency service and doesn't replace medical consultation, it connects Queensland residents to registered nurses who can assess patients' symptoms and provide health information.

It also provides referral to other healthcare providers, and guides callers to the appropriate level and location of care, with nurses estimating "symptom urgency, rather than diagnose the cause of the symptoms".

An investigation into the incident is underway.

Griffin
09-21-2020, 12:05 PM
The Queen of England was visiting one of Australia's top hospitals, and during her tour of the floors she passed a room where a male patient was masturbating.
"Oh my God", said the Queen, "that's disgraceful, what is the meaning of this?"
The doctor replied, "That man has a very serious condition where the testicles rapidly fill with semen. If he doesn't do that 5 times a day, they'll explode, and he would die instantly."
"Oh, I am sorry", said the Queen.
On the next floor they passed a room where a young nurse was giving a patient oral sex. "Oh my God", said the Queen, "What's happening in there?"
The Doctor replied, "Same problem, better health plan."