PDA

View Full Version : Impatient driving

Noilly Pratt
07-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Hey guys

Just wanted to share 2 examples of some impatient driving I experienced yesterday.

One was going onto the freeway and just before it there's a light with 2 lanes, at a left turn signal. The light is a very "stale" yellow, so I glide to a stop.

The guy behind me is furious with this, and wheels around me to the other unoccupied right lane and, finding a car half way into the intersection in his lane, yanks it hard left. Thankfully I didn't decide to go through on the yellow or else he would have sideswiped me. he came damn close to it, though. I'm going from my home in the 'burbs to the big city to drive my inlaws back to their place.

Then on my journey back, I hear sirens and it looks like the entire fire brigade is coming down the street towards me in the oncoming lane. This is in Burnaby and they must have a way of turning all the lights to Red, because we're all stopped at a major 20 lane intersection (4 lanes each and left turning lanes separated).

The fire trucks go through and I'm turning left on my separate traffic light. As luck would have it, we miss our rotation of the light, but buddy in front of me in a great big bus decides he needs to go left anyway so he goes on the solid red, but the straight through traffic light is green. This is a fast thoroughfare with speeds about 60kms if people stay legal (which they hardly do). If GF is reading this, it's the major intersection at the Brentwood mall.

I creep up to the line from the gap left from the bus, but I don't venture any further. Guy behind me lays on his horn. I ignore it as the light to turn left (a completely separate light remember) is solid red and by now there is traffic coming towards me.

When the other traffic light goes, buddy behind me comes out of his car, taps on my window and says "you're gonna go left at the next light, Right??" I just look at him and say "yeah yeah". And he goes back to his car. He was going to say more I think but I'm a big guy, nearly touching the ceiling of my van and he's a little short squat dude.

What he didn't realize is that All the lights were controlled by the fire department before and it screwed the sequence up.

So, my light turns green at the next cycle and I pull into the far right lane when it's safe to do so, and of course, macho man in the mini van behind me (I'm in my mini van too) floors it around me, showing me his obvious superiority. What an asshole!

I hate driving in the city. For this I took a half day off work???

Goofy
07-21-2011, 08:10 PM
tbh i rarely enjoy driving these days :wha: When i first passed my test the roads were far quieter (and that was only 13 years ago) and far safer......... there seems to be so many fuckwits on the roads today

Which reminds me, i saw/heard a crash today :dance: Just before 5pm i was heading to a local car dealership to pick up a workmate (dropping off a completed job), i was waiting on the traffic lights changing when i heard an almighty 'BOOM' :lol: Dunno exactly what happened but it seems someone was paying no attention and rammed another car from behind.......... no one hurt thankfully but the front end of the little Seat Ibiza was fucked......... i didnt even bother to go over with a business card :mrgreen:

Hal-9000
07-22-2011, 12:57 AM
We had a poll done by the local TV station...83% percent of participants hate our city's drivers.

I get tired of drivers in the lane next to me with their wheels on the line..I get tired of drivers trying to squeeze into a space in front of me that's 1/4 of a car length..
I hate drivers on sidestreets with stop signs that hesitate, then pull out in front of me at the last second..and I absolutely despise people that make me slam on my brakes anytime that I have the right of way.

Why just today people were so inattentive and distracted on my morning commute, that I had to put my book down.Bastards!

Griffin
07-22-2011, 01:18 AM
I have a button on my steering wheel that when pushed cuts off all cell phone service within 1500 feet of me and stalls their vehicles so that I can drive unimpeded by the inattentive assholes congesting the roads and byways that insist on texting and conversing instead of paying attention to their surroundings.

...just kidding, it's actually the trigger of a .45.

Southern Belle
07-22-2011, 01:51 AM
No driving fuckers!
I'm constantly watching what the idiots around me are doing. I keep a couple of car lengths behind so those who are in a mad rush can change lanes constantly without causing me to hit them. I don't care if they blow the horn behind me. They should have left earlier.
I've observed that the cause of most traffic jams on the interstates and freeways around here are because people don't know how to merge.
:meh:

Godfather
07-22-2011, 01:59 AM
I have the same set of rants... people are assholes around here.

Tailgating is the one that kills me. When I'm doing the speed limit +10km/hr... you don't need to be a foot behind me. Back the fuck off.

DemonGeminiX
07-22-2011, 02:14 AM
Ever since getting rear-ended back in 2008, I've been hyper-sensitive about other drivers' driving habits around me when I'm out and about. People must think I'm a psychotic lunatic because I scream at them from out of my driver's side window when I'm stopped.

I hate other drivers.

Southern Belle
07-22-2011, 02:15 AM
Defensive driving is the key to survival.

DemonGeminiX
07-22-2011, 02:19 AM
I find that the illusion of insanity makes people a lot more careful around you. That's why whenever I'm screaming at someone, I make sure to cross my eyes and let a little spit dribble out of the side of my mouth while baring my teeth like a mad dog.

Godfather
07-22-2011, 03:46 AM
I find that the illusion of insanity makes people a lot more careful around you. That's why whenever I'm screaming at someone, I make sure to cross my eyes and let a little spit dribble out of the side of my mouth while baring my teeth like a mad dog.

Holy shit dude :lol:

Noilly Pratt
07-22-2011, 04:10 AM
Defensive driving is the key to survival.

Exactly - you've got to drive for yourself and the other guys around you. Working at home for 3 years has spoilt me. I used to deal with traffic all the time, but there are more "ragers" out there now it seems.

Illusion? I won't need much acting... should have talked to my hand and said "should we talk to the man?" and shake my hand back and forth. "Mr. hand says 'no'". :) The thought crossed my mind if he dented my door with his fist or something I was going to reverse into him - my trailer hitch would have made a nice divot in his bumper!

Thankfully it didn't come to that... ;)

JoeyB
07-22-2011, 05:29 AM
This is all part of why I no longer even own a car. Walking is good for you.

Tank
07-22-2011, 12:46 PM
Happened a few weeks ago, and i’ve taken it from another place i ranted it . . .

the idiot in the 'gangsta wanabe Range Rover’,( baseball hat sideways, massive chrome wheels, blacked out windows all round, full lights inc fog lights at 1pm, shoulder/phone glued to his ear. etc) that tried to force me out of his way the other day on the dual carriageway.

Now its not like i was hogging the RH lane. I was in fact about the 5th car back in the queue and we were doing a little over 70 as it was . . . . (ok more like 85, but safely!)

Said wanabe comes tearing up behind me easily doing 3 figures gets about 1cm from my rear bumper, and decides to flash me straight away, no hesitation to see if i was going to move over, there were a few cars on the inside and had he not flashed me i would have pulled over when clear of them. But since he found the need to flash me, i remained glued to the car in front. Get a few more flashes, still i don’t move so as we pass the inside traffic he swings it straight over to undertake me, this fails tho as there’s more traffic ahead. He got stuck in the slow lane then as a few other cars passed him, not without him trying to force his way back over, unsuccessfully tho!

He’s now at least 4 cars further back and going slower than he would have been had he just waited behind me!

golfer
07-24-2011, 02:56 AM
I have the same set of rants... people are assholes around here.

Tailgating is the one that kills me. When I'm doing the speed limit +10km/hr... you don't need to be a foot behind me. Back the fuck off.

Quick fix... tap your brake lights if the plow thru you they are at fault, but usually they will go around or back off ;)