PDA

View Full Version : Oregon family finds their dog, a 14-year-old terrier, stabbed to death, skinned

Teh One Who Knocks
07-21-2011, 09:50 PM
By Rick Bella, The Oregonian

http://i.imgur.com/WuGsb.jpg

HAPPY VALLEY -- A family found their 14-year-old terrier stabbed to death and partially skinned over the weekend, and police are asking the public to help find suspects in the mutilation.

"It's despicable," said Sgt. James Rhodes, Clackamas County Sheriff's Office spokesman. "Somebody went out of their way to do this."

The case is the third recent animal mutilation case in Clackamas County. Last month, Oregon City police found two cats had been killed and partially skinned.

Rhodes said investigators are concerned because studies have shown many serial killers started with animal abuse and mutilation before turning their attention to people.

Because coyotes sometimes skin their kills with near-surgical precision, sheriff's deputies took remains of the Jack Russell terrier -- named "Spot" -- the Oregon Humane Society for a full necropsy. Veterinarian Kris Otteman, the society's shelter medical director, confirmed that the dog had been stabbed several times and was mutilated after it already was dead.

"She reported this was not an animal attack," Rhodes said. "Spot had been killed by someone with an unidentified knife."

Rhodes said the Spot's owners let her out at 10 p.m. Saturday to roam their yard off Southeast Mountain Gate Road, near Ross Road. They found her remains the next day, discarded.

Rhodes said the family bought Spot when she was 5-years-old and had her for nine years. Although they declined to speak with reporters, they released a statement:

"We are at a loss to understand how someone could commit such a horrible act upon a helpless animal," the statement says. "She was a very friendly dog, and even in here senior years still enjoyed her life and human affection.

"We hope that authorities will catch whoever did this so that no other pets or animals will be hurt. We are grateful for the many kind condolences we have received. And, as a friend said, "She will meet us in heaven at the end of the Rainbow Bridge.'"

Rhodes urged anyone with information on the incident or possible suspects to call the sheriff's confidential tip line at 503-723-4949. Confidential text messages can be sent to CRIMES (274637 on a cell phone keypad), with the keyword "CCSO" as the first word in the message.

In Oregon City, police found mutilated remains of a cat on June 11 in the St. John the Apostle Cemetery. Only half of the body was found; the cat's head and front were missing. The skin had been peeled down toward the tail. On June 23, mutilated remains were found at Hillendale City Park. The cat's head and upper body had been cut off and remains were skinned.

In 2009, a custodian at Rex Putnam High School found the skinned remains of a Boston terrier on school property. The dog, which belonged to a Milwaukie-area family living nearby, had been stabbed in the neck. His coat was cut from its body.

All of the cases remain unsolved.

Hal-9000
07-21-2011, 10:08 PM
Either a fur freak or maybe someone was trying to eat these things?

DemonGeminiX
07-21-2011, 10:12 PM
Rhodes said investigators are concerned because studies have shown many serial killers started with animal abuse and mutilation before turning their attention to people.

That's the first thought that popped in my head when I read the title.

deebakes
07-22-2011, 01:49 AM
i refuse to take my mutilation a step further :hand:

Southern Belle
07-22-2011, 01:53 AM
How sick are the people around us?

Acid Trip
07-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Congrats Oregon! You are now the home state of the next big serial killer.