PDA

View Full Version : Man admits 'bomb on plane' hoax in Whangārei was stupid joke gone wrong

Teh One Who Knocks
10-02-2020, 10:54 AM
Denise Piper - Stuff.co.nz

https://i.imgur.com/duA2rOtl.jpg

A man has had a lesson in the seriousness of airport security, after appearing in court for jokingly saying there was a bomb on a plane in Whangārei.

Damien Tokutaahi Hadfield, 26, from Parua Bay, jokingly said his relative had a bomb in his luggage, as his relative boarded a plane at Whangārei Airport on August 24.

The prank resulted in his relative being kicked off the flight and having his luggage searched, and the Air New Zealand flight was able to continue to Auckland after a short delay.

Hadfield was charged under the Civil Aviation Act with providing false information about the safety of an aircraft, which carries a maximum penalty of four months in prison.

https://i.imgur.com/GQ3xE5Al.jpg

At the Whangārei District Court on Monday, he pleaded guilty to the charge.

His lawyer, John Day, said Hadfield was “an idiot”.

“This is serious because of the disruption to the travelling public. It was a hoax; a stupid one.”

https://i.imgur.com/zieiRyll.jpg
The incident occurred at Whangārei Airport in August. (File photo)

Judge Greg Davis said the move was stupid, but Hadfield had never been before the courts previously.

“It’s stupid, it’s dangerous, it’s a great inconvenience ... He’s brassed a whole lot of people off who may have missed flights.”

But the judge said Hadfield did not deserve to have his previously unblemished record scarred by “stupid, foolish behaviour” and discharged him without conviction.

Outside court, airport manager Michael Chubb said safety was taken very seriously and, while Hadfield’s statement was believed to be a prank, jokes were not tolerated.

“We’re in the safety business, we’re not in the gambling business,” he said. “I’m sorry it backfired for him.”

Chubb was satisfied with the discharge without conviction, as Hadfield had been called to account for his actions and appeared before a judge.

Judge Davis said publication of Hadfield’s name would be a further penalty in itself.

The man’s relative was allowed to fly to Auckland at a later date.

DemonGeminiX
10-02-2020, 11:08 AM
His lawyer, John Day, said Hadfield was “an idiot”.

That's an understatement.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-02-2020, 11:28 AM
Hard to believe there are still morons out there doing this kinda thing.

DemonGeminiX
10-02-2020, 11:29 AM
Hard to believe there are still morons out there doing this kinda thing.

Not really. There are morons out there doing all kinds of stupid things all over the world.

FBD
10-02-2020, 04:22 PM
Not really. There are morons out there doing all kinds of stupid things all over the world.

I remember the tsa lady in gustavus joking that my salmon package looked like it could be a bomb

PorkChopSandwiches
10-02-2020, 05:18 PM
salmon package

Is this code for your dick

FBD
10-02-2020, 06:36 PM
:lol: no, literally a couple packages of smoked salmon