PDA

View Full Version : Scotland's pubs banned from serving alcohol inside for 16 days

Teh One Who Knocks
10-08-2020, 11:09 AM
Libby Brooks - The Guardian

https://i.imgur.com/1I8kDafl.jpg

Nicola Sturgeon has announced a nationwide ban on drinking indoors in pubs, bars and restaurants across Scotland for more than two weeks, with a full shutdown of all licensed premises across the central belt where infection rates are accelerating most rapidly.

Announcing the targeted measures to the Scottish parliament on Wednesday as she confirmed a further 1,054 people had tested positive for Covid-19 in the past 24 hours, the first minister said they were intended to be a “short, sharp action to arrest a worrying increase in infection”.

For 16 days, from Friday at 6pm, all pubs, bars, restaurants and cafes must operate on a daytime-only basis, from 6am to 6pm, and for the service of food and non-alcoholic drinks only. They can continue to serve alcohol outdoors up to the current curfew of 10pm.

In five health board areas that are causing greatest concern: Greater Glasgow and Clyde, Lanarkshire, the Lothians, Ayrshire and Arran, and Forth Valley – , all licensed premises must close both indoors and outdoors, although takeaways will be permitted. Hotels can serve evening meals to residents but not alcohol. Cafes that do not have an alcohol licence will be able to stay open until 6pm.

People living in those five areas are also being asked to avoid public transport, and not to travel outside the area they live in unless they have to, although Sturgeon added that she was not asking people to cancel half-term holidays they had already booked.

Sturgeon also announced that the Scottish government would be making available an additional £40m to support businesses that would be affected by the measures over the next two weeks.

Insisting that the temporary shutdown of licensed premises was “essential” in removing one of the key opportunities the virus has to jump from household to household, Sturgeon told MSPs: “That risk can be increased, in some hospitality premises, if good ventilation is difficult, and if it is hard to control the movement of people. And the presence of alcohol can of course affect people’s willingness to physically distance.”

Sturgeon said that without these temporary measures, there was a risk that the virus would run out of control by the end of the month, and that she hoped this immediate intervention would help to keep schools and businesses open over the winter.

The hospitality industry reacted with anger and despair at the news, attacking the Scottish government for failing to consult on the measures before the announcement in Holyrood.

Describing the measures as “a hammer blow to Scotland’s hospitality sector and the businesses that rely on it”, James Withers, chief executive of Scotland Food and Drink, said: “This may seem a short term, two-week hit, but it is targeted at businesses that are barely clinging on to survival.”

Liz Cameron, chief executive of the Scottish Chambers of Commerce, condemned the “complete and utter lack of consultation with business”, which she said “only serves to compound the blows of these restrictions”.

“These measures will sound the death knell for businesses across the hospitality sector, especially pubs and bars,” she added.

The Scottish Beer & Pub Association warned that the £40m offered by Sturgeon was unlikely to save many businesses. “The available funds will not even come close to covering the required furlough contributions for the period, never mind ongoing fixed costs and stock,” said CEO Emma McClarkin.

The Scottish Conservatives Holyrood leader, Ruth Davidson, said Sturgeon had failed to supply businesses with the answers they needed.

“A discussion about how to compensate businesses that might be affected by any new measures should have taken place weeks ago. A one-day consultation after today’s announcement – and just hours before businesses are forced to close their doors – is just not good enough”.

Sturgeon said her government would also introduce regulations to extend the mandatory use of face coverings in indoor communal settings, for example in staff canteens and corridors in workplaces, and that from this weekend and across Scotland, shops would be asked to return to 2-metre physical distancing and to reintroduce one-way systems where possible.

National restrictions in Scotland were already more stringent than elsewhere in the UK. Last month Scots were banned from visiting other homes, with strict limits of six people from two households also in force for outdoor meetings and a 10pm curfew for pubs and restaurants.

The statement came after intense speculation about the nature of the “circuit-breaker” restrictions to stem the rising infection rate, which ministers and public health officials have been floating for more than a week.

On Tuesday, Sturgeon moved to reassure the public that additional restrictions would not amount to a full lockdown, following growing parental and business anxiety about the possibility of school or hospitality closures.

Less than an hour before Sturgeon’s announcement, Holyrood’s presiding officer, Ken Macintosh, called for a meeting of all parties to discuss “developing parliament’s scrutiny role in respect of Covid-related decisions”, stating that “it is time for the parliament to reassert its role in holding the government to account”.

FBD
10-08-2020, 12:13 PM
lol let the fake pre-election covid spikes begin

Goofy
10-08-2020, 12:16 PM
lol let the fake pre-election covid spikes begin
:-k

:confused: We don't have any upcoming elections

FBD
10-08-2020, 12:24 PM
:-k

:confused: We don't have any upcoming elections

the balance of the earth wobbles on this particular election, brotha...many tails wag dogs

Goofy
10-08-2020, 12:36 PM
the balance of the earth wobbles on this particular election, brotha...many tails wag dogs
Ah yeah, the whole world revolves around you guys eh :tup:

:roll:

I don't often get involved with political talk as I know you guys love Trump........... but i personally hope he gets pulvarised in the election. The whole world sees him as a clown, a petulant child that's a danger to himself and the rest of the world - we don't give a shit about his or his parties policies, we just see a mad raving dictator hollering "fake news" any time he hears something that paints him in a bad light.

The only time anyone i know has talked about the US Presidential election over here it's been to talk about how much of a fruitcake Trump is. The most powerful country in the world is also currently a laughing stock thanks solely to him :ok:

So there you have it - first and last time i'll mention my feelings about US politics here.

FBD
10-08-2020, 12:43 PM

I don't often get involved with political talk as I know you guys love Trump........... but i personally hope he gets pulvarised in the election. The whole world sees him as a clown, a petulant child that's a danger to himself and the rest of the world - we don't give a shit about his or his parties policies, we just see a mad raving dictator hollering "fake news" any time he hears something that paints him in a bad light.

The only time anyone i know has talked about the US Presidential election over here it's been to talk about how much of a fruitcake Trump is. The most powerful country in the world is also currently a laughing stock thanks solely to him :ok:

So there you have it - first and last time i'll mention my feelings about US politics here.

its all good brotha, you're entitled to your opinion, wag the dog as it may have been introduced. (dont take that as an insult but merely a factual observation, the media has worked in concert to protect the traitors.)

things will become more clear as cases are brought forth and arrests are made - I'm 100% confident of this at this point, its all been slowly clicking into place basically to culminate at this election and make people aware that yes indeedy, Hillary Obama & crew are treasonous bastards and they committed treason to try and prevent losing their grip on power.

remains to be seen what fireworks will come after Trump's reelection, but arrests from russiagate I mean Obamagate are a sure thing at this point. after the election, why then we can set aside Hillary's emails and start going after the Weiner laptop and the Clinton Foundation, and all the outflows from everything connected to the CF.

this is bigger than just the USA, the blackmail and shit goes worldwide, it involves the english crown and the vatican amongst others...

DemonGeminiX
10-08-2020, 12:45 PM
:-s

What's 16 days gonna do?

Goofy
10-08-2020, 12:45 PM
Oh, i know Clinton's a lying arsehole....... mind you, aint all politicians? Clinton and Trump should both be behind bars.

FBD
10-08-2020, 12:53 PM

What's 16 days gonna do?plant the seed so that the idea can spread so that by the time we get to election time over here, we can be a couple weeks into another fake spike so that the mail in numbers can be inflated. if vote counts on election day are high and the numbers high for republicans, its going to make the case that much harder for them to say "we need to count all the ballots until we win."

Oh, i know Clinton's a lying arsehole....... mind you, aint all politicians? Clinton and Trump should both be behind bars.I'd have to get into the Qanon stuff and drag you into deeper waters in order to clarify, and I'm sure you're not up for going there :lol: TL;DR on that is the good guys in the military found out what the bad guys were doing and came up with a plan, and Trump's the front man for it.

and not for nothing but for as much as people bitch that Trump should be behind bars, the only disagreeable thing I've really seen him do was that eminent domain case. shit talking doesnt qualify one for jail time!

DemonGeminiX
10-08-2020, 12:53 PM
No offense, Goof, Trump might make us look like a laughing stock in the rest of the world's eyes and he might belong behind bars (I seriously doubt that one, actually), but he's actually done a lot of the junk we asked him to do, and he's done a lot of the stuff he promised to do. Because of that we can tolerate him. The other people that want his job? Not so much.

Now back to the original issue, what's 16 days gonna do? Goof? :-k

Griffin
10-08-2020, 01:05 PM
It's their first step in the national AA 12 Steps of Recovery program.

Muddy
10-08-2020, 01:07 PM

I 100% respect and appreciate your honest opinion. I can see why we are viewed that way. I do think our media has a lot to do with exaggerating his antics, but I do get it.

Goofy
10-08-2020, 01:17 PM

What's 16 days gonna do?
Absolutely nothing as far as i can see, other than pushing pubs and clubs closer to permanent closure.

Over the last 10-20 years we've already lost a ton of pubs and clubs due to a variety of factors (drink drive limit being lowered, supermarket alcohol prices being super-low plus pub prices constantly rising above inflation).

I'm sure we've already lost a lot of establishments since the initial covid lockdown, and i expect more will follow.

The positive effect of these new rules........ fucked if i know :shrug:

FBD
10-08-2020, 01:22 PM
I 100% respect and appreciate your honest opinion. I can see why we are viewed that way. I do think our media has a lot to do with exaggerating his antics, but I do get it.

this is also my sentiment, aside from the conspiracy facts :dance: