PDA

View Full Version : Violent clashes break out in Philadelphia after police fatally shoot man with knife: report

Teh One Who Knocks
10-27-2020, 10:30 AM
By Edmund DeMarche | Fox News

Police in Philadelphia clashed with protesters late Monday night just hours after a Black man armed with a knife was shot and killed by two officers in the western part of the city, reports said.

Officials said early Tuesday that the overnight violence resulted in 12 officers being hospitalized with various injuries, including one sergeant who broke her leg after being hit by a pickup truck at the site of one of the clashes.

Philadelphia Police Sgt. Eric Gripp said the shooting occurred at about 4 p.m. after officers responded to a call about a man with a weapon, Fox 29 reported. He said the officers were “immediately met with a male who was carrying a knife."
Gripp said the man appeared to disregard orders to drop the knife. A video emerged that purported to show the moments before the shooting. The man's mother could reportedly be seen chasing after her son and asking police not to open fire. The video showed the man, identified in reports as Walter Wallace Jr., walking towards the officers prior to the shooting. The Philadelphia Inquirer reported that police said the officers drove the man to a nearby hospital after the incident.
The police department and city’s district attorney vowed to look into the shooting.

The incident sparked anger in the community. Protesters took to the streets and called the shooting another example of police officers killing a Black man. The Inquirer reported that these protesters marched to a city police station where officers lined up behind metal barricades. The report said that some protesters were seen throwing various objects and several officers were injured after being hit. At least one police vehicle was set on fire.

Lauren Dawn Johnson, a reporter for Fox 29, took to Twitter to update her followers on the condition of the officers who suffered injuries. She said the 56-year-old sergeant was hospitalized in stable condition.
Samantha Melamed, a reporter for the Inquirer, posted an image of a man holding a toddler while facing a police officer. She tweeted that the man told his 3-year-old son, “This is what racism looks like. Take a look.”
Police said it was unclear how many times the person was shot but Walter Wallace Sr., the man’s father, told the paper that he believed his son was shot 10 times. He told the paper that his 27-year-old son had mental health issues and was on medication.

“Why didn’t they use a taser? His mother was trying to diffuse the situation,” he said, according to the paper.

Last month, protests broke out in Lancaster, Pa., after a police officer fatally shot a man with a knife after his sister said she called police to get him involuntarily committed, leading to street protests and vandalism in what the mayor of the small Pennsylvania city of Lancaster called a “heartbreaking day.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report

DemonGeminiX
10-27-2020, 11:07 AM
:roll:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-28-2020, 10:42 AM
By Edmund DeMarche | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/IZ0cvzLl.jpg

Protests turned violent in Philadelphia Tuesday night as demonstrators clashed with police, ransacked stores and beat a reporter covering the unrest.

The city has been gripped by violence after police officers shot and killed a 27-year-old Black man a day earlier who they said refused to drop his knife as he “advanced towards” them. The man was identified as Walter Wallace Jr. and a part of the incident was caught on video.

Police and city officials issued swift statements following the incident and promised an investigation. But their assurances did little to assuage many in the city who see the shooting as another example of a Black man being killed by police when they say the situation could have been diffused.

https://i.imgur.com/zrQpXRY.png

Journalists covering some of the lootings described chaotic scenes they said appeared to be void of any police coverage. Police took to Twitter late Tuesday to announce there were about 1,000 looters in the area of Castor and Aramingo streets alone.

Videos showed stores with items strewn in aisles and looters carrying out kitchen appliances and other items. Many stores were boarded up, but crowds still managed to break through windows.

Elijah Schaffer, a reporter for the Blaze who was covering the looting at a store called Five Below, was reportedly seen on video getting pummeled inside a store by a group of protesters. Schaffer, who had a swollen and bloody lip, said he was jumped by Black Lives Matter protesters inside the establishment.
“I’m going to go to the hospital, I think, to get stitches because it is just absolutely painful,” he said in a video posted on Twitter. “But this is what’s happening in the current state over the killing of Walter Wallace.”

The Philadelphia Office of Emergency Management asked residents from certain neighborhoods to remain indoors due to the “widespread demonstrations that have turned violent with looting.”

Videos posted to social media showed people running out of a Walmart with clothes, electronics and other merchandise. Some showed stores in disarray as looters grabbed various items from shelves and left. One person was seen hauling away what appeared to be a washing machine.

The White House issued a statement early Wednesday that called the riots in the city the “most recent consequence of the Liberal Democrats’ war against the police.”
The statement called for a full investigation into the shooting, but said “we can never allow mob rule. The Trump administration stands proudly with law enforcement, and stands ready, upon request, to deploy all Federal resources to end these riots.”

Democratic nominee Joe Biden and his running mate, Sen. Kamala D. Harris, D-Callif, issued a statement on Tuesday afternoon, “We cannot accept that in this country a mental health crisis ends in death,” the statement read, the Washington Post reported. They also condemned the riots on Monday night as a “crime” not a “protest.”

The city’s police union defended the officers in a statement and said they are being unfairly vilified for “doing their job and keeping the community safe, after being confronted by a man with a knife.”

https://i.imgur.com/hP0PaBRl.jpg

The Philadelphia Inquirer reported that the evening began peacefully and there was a march to a local precinct. The paper said officers were prepared with riot shields and were pelted with debris.

“My son looks like Walter Wallace,” Andrea Dingle, 31, who brought her four children to the rally, told the paper. “He has mental issues like Walter Wallace. I’m scared he will be killed like Walter Wallace.”

Three of Wallace's sons remembered their father during an earlier news conference surrounded by family and community members.

"We always go places," said one child, whose name was not revealed. "He always teach [sic] me how to be a man. And these White racist cops got my own dad. And Black Lives still matter."

Officers had responded to Wallace's home twice before earlier in the day. A third call was meant for an ambulance, a family attorney said Tuesday.

"I was telling the police to stop 'Don't shoot my son,'" Wallace's mother told reporters. "They paid me no mind."

Fox News' Louis Casiano and the Associated Press contributed to this report

Griffin
10-28-2020, 10:48 AM
So much for the City of Brotherly Love :meh:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-28-2020, 11:09 AM
By Larry Celona, Joe Marino and Kenneth Garger - New York Post

https://i.imgur.com/tfPBTLal.jpg

Dozens of marching protesters were arrested in Brooklyn on Tuesday night after clashing with NYPD cops and leaving a trail of destruction in their wake in response to the Philadelphia police shooting death of an armed black man.

About 200 protesters met in Fort Greene Park before snaking their way through the streets, vandalizing police vehicles, torching an American flag and igniting at least one rubbish fire during their travels, according to footage posted to social media by video journalist Issa Khari.

“Burn the precinct to the ground, every city, every town!” the group, mainly clad in black, chanted as they marched near Boerum Place and Livingston Street in Downtown Brooklyn.

https://i.imgur.com/t6td9cel.jpg

Near Willoughby and Jay streets, several protesters chucked rocks and bottles at police officers, sources said. Others in the group wielded pieces of wood.

Nearby, a man in the crowd stole a pumpkin off the steps of a brownstone and hurled it at a car windshield.

Other protesters were spotted tagging random buildings in the group’s path.

https://i.imgur.com/rDOvCEvl.jpg

One man spray painted “RIP Walter,” on a building facade, a reference to the man they were protesting for, Walter Wallace, the knife-wielding black man who was fatally shot by police in Philadelphia Monday.

Members of the crowd broke windows of an Urban Outfitters and Bank of America on Atlantic Avenue in Cobble Hill.

At about 10 p.m. Tuesday the protesters were met by police in riot gear on Atlantic Avenue near Boerum Place.

https://i.imgur.com/QIRLNiPl.jpg

Police ordered the protesters to disperse, or face arrests. But some in the group tried to run past the cops, leading to a confrontation and close to 30 arrests, sources said.

At the same intersection, the driver of a car accelerated through a line of cops after being ordered to stop. One cop suffered a leg injury, sources said.

Police broke several of the vehicle’s windows in a bid to stop the car before the driver sped away. It’s unclear if the vehicle and its occupants were affiliated with the protest.

https://i.imgur.com/M3GCB1el.jpg

FBD
10-28-2020, 03:38 PM
can they do any more to try and keep people home on election day?

lost in melb.
10-29-2020, 10:27 AM
Sounds like a fun night out on town :tup:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-29-2020, 11:02 AM
By Dom Calicchio | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/T8n4QNCl.jpg

Multiple explosive devices were found inside a van near Center City Philadelphia on Wednesday night, prompting a response by the city police bomb squad and federal investigators, according to a report.

The discovery came as unrest continued in the city in reaction to the death of Walter Wallace Jr., 27, who was killed by police officers Monday. The case remains under investigation.

The city was under a 9 p.m.-6 a.m. curfew Wednesday night into Thursday morning in expectation of a third night of vandalism and looting.

The federal agents on the scene were from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, FOX 29 of Philadelphia reported.
The van was parked in Logan Circle (19th Street and Benjamin Franklin Parkway) in the Logan Square area, just west of Center City, the report said.

The devices, found around 10 p.m. ET, were described as “M-type” explosives but no further information was immediately available.

Meanwhile, looters were reportedly targeting stores in the city’s Wynnefield section, not far from St. Joseph’s University.

A RiteAid pharmacy in the area had its front glass doors smashed and merchandise lying on the ground outside, according to video posted by a reporter from Philadelphia’s WPVI-TV.

Earlier Wednesday, both President Trump and Democratic nominee Joe Biden commented on the unrest in Philadelphia.

Trump called the unrest in the city “terrible,” and placed the blame on Democratic leadership in the city and the state of Pennsylvania, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

"The mayor, or whoever it is, is allowing people to riot and loot and not stop them. It’s also just a horrible thing. I saw the event [the shooting of Wallace]. Everybody did. It was a terrible event. I guess that’s being looked at very strongly. The federal government is looking at it also.”

Biden spoke briefly about Philadelphia on Wednesday after voting in Delaware.

“I think to be able to protest is totally legitimate, totally reasonable,” Biden said, according to the Inquirer. “But there’s no excuse for the looting.”

Philadelphia police said they made 81 arrests in Tuesday night’s rioting, with 23 police officers suffering injuries, the newspaper reported.

Members of the Pennsylvania National Guard were expected to be deployed in the city by Friday, the Inquirer reported.

Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf declared a disaster emergency Wednesday to acquire additional support for dealing with the unrest, FOX 29 reported.

FBD
10-29-2020, 04:26 PM
https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1321575150135975941