PDA

View Full Version : Oregon becomes first state to decriminalize hard drugs like heroin and cocaine

Teh One Who Knocks
11-04-2020, 11:29 AM
By Paul Best | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/HqJ9xRWl.jpg

Oregon became the first state to decriminalize hard drugs like heroin, cocaine and meth in a 59-41% vote as of early Wednesday morning, according to the Associated Press.

The "Drug Addiction Treatment and Recovery Act" will transition Oregon's drug policy from a punitive, criminal approach to "a humane, cost-effective, health approach."

"People suffering from addiction are more effectively treated with health care services than with criminal punishments," the bill reads. "A health care approach includes a health assessment to figure out the needs of people who are suffering from addiction, and it includes connecting them to the services they need."

Instead of treating drug users as criminals, Oregon will now offer them addiction services funded by marijuana tax revenue, which is more than $100 million a year in the state.

Only small amounts of drugs are decriminalized, such as less than 1 gram of heroin or MDMA; 2 grams of cocaine or methamphetamine; 12 grams of psilocybin mushrooms; and 40 doses of LSD, oxycodone or methadone.

Criminal penalties for possession of these amounts are replaced with a fine of up to $100, which can be waived if the user is evaluated at Addiction Recovery Centers.

Crimes that are associated with drug use, such as manufacturing drugs, selling drugs and driving under the influence, are still criminal offenses.

More than 100 organizations endorsed the measure, including the Oregon Chapter of the American College of Physicians, Oregon Nurses Association, Oregon School Psychologists' Association, Oregon Academy of Family Physicians, the ACLU and others.

There was also a fair amount of opposition to the measure, with two dozen district attorneys in the state saying the measure “recklessly decriminalizes possession of the most dangerous types of drugs (and) will lead to an increase in acceptability of dangerous drugs.”

Multiple countries in Europe, including Portugal, the Netherlands, and Switzerland, have decriminalized hard drugs without rampant negative effects.

Portugal decriminalized all drugs in 2001, which did not lead to an increase in drug use, but did result in a dramatic reduction of pathologies associated with drug use, such as sexually transmitted diseases and overdose deaths, according to a 2009 Cato Institue study.

A 2015 European Drug Report also found that Portugal's drug overdose death rate is five times lower than the European Union average.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

DemonGeminiX
11-04-2020, 11:35 AM
Well, all the hardcore druggies will converge up there.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-04-2020, 11:41 AM
Well, all the hardcore druggies will converge up there.

Good...maybe they will GTFO of Colorado.

FBD
11-04-2020, 01:29 PM
its encouraging to see mushrooms legalized though :dance: nature's antidepressant, they're not the only place that has effectively decriminalized them. (I've never taken a large dose, but microdosing mushrooms is a recipe for a pleasant day)

Muddy
11-04-2020, 01:45 PM
Why would you waste tax payers money to send a Friday night tooter in to prison for 25 years? This is an experiment I'm happy to watch.. (not in my back yard though) :mrgreen:

lost in melb.
11-04-2020, 01:49 PM
Good...maybe they will GTFO of Colorado.

Not with that blue wave. They're coming to you :watching:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-04-2020, 01:53 PM
Not with that blue wave. They're coming to you :watching:

Addicts go where the easiest fix is :nono:

lost in melb.
11-04-2020, 05:03 PM
Addicts go where the easiest fix is :nono:

Hate to say it, but I bet other States follow suit

PorkChopSandwiches
11-04-2020, 05:06 PM
It makes sense, prison for drugs only turns addicts into criminals and rarely helps the situation. Treatment is a much better option

DemonGeminiX
11-04-2020, 05:06 PM
Hate to say it, but I bet other States follow suit

Hardcore progressive Democrat controlled states would. :rip: Porky.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-04-2020, 05:07 PM
It makes sense, prison for drugs only turns addicts into criminals and rarely helps the situation. Treatment is a much better option

Do you think meth heads really want treatment?

FBD
11-04-2020, 05:16 PM
Do you think meth heads really want treatment?

no addict wants treatment, that's why you send 'em to a treatment center instead of jail, it doesnt really help the process to add a criminal record for it. now if someone gets busted with 5 pillow cases full of the stuff, that's a totally different story....but random user who is doing nothing outside of ruining their own life, nah.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-04-2020, 05:17 PM
no addict wants treatment, that's why you send 'em to a treatment center instead of jail, it doesnt really help the process to add a criminal record for it. now if someone gets busted with 5 pillow cases full of the stuff, that's a totally different story....but random user who is doing nothing outside of ruining their own life, nah.

Forcibly putting them in a 'treatment center' becomes the new jail. Rinse and repeat.

FBD
11-04-2020, 05:20 PM
Forcibly putting them in a 'treatment center' becomes the new jail. Rinse and repeat.

while detox is somewhat like jail, its not quite jail, and the felony record doesnt accomplish much except require more law resources for processing

Muddy
11-04-2020, 06:05 PM
and the felony record doesnt accomplish much except require more law resources for processing

And if you ever do pull your shit together you are branded with the scarlet letter that makes you almost unemployable (hire-able) at any serious job.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-04-2020, 06:33 PM
Treatment is less expensive and at least there is the treatment option if they chose to follow it. Jail/Prison doesn't offer treatment. A lot of addicts dont want treatment, but once you sober them up sometimes you can straighten them out, I have seen it myself.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-04-2020, 06:43 PM
Treatment is less expensive and at least there is the treatment option if they chose to follow it. Jail/Prison doesn't offer treatment. A lot of addicts dont want treatment, but once you sober them up sometimes you can straighten them out, I have seen it myself.

Just because you saw it in a Hallmark Channel movie doesn't mean it's real life :hand:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-04-2020, 06:45 PM
:hand: I also stayed at a Holiday Inn Express