PDA

View Full Version : A Five Story House That Hangs Off the Edge of a Cliff

Teh One Who Knocks
11-05-2020, 11:25 AM
by E.D.W. Lynch - Laughing Squid

https://i.imgur.com/BziPIg6.jpg

Cliff House is a design concept for a five-story home that hangs off the face of a cliff. Entry to the modular structure is through the top floor garage, and the house is anchored to the cliff by steel pins. The Cliff House concept was designed by Modscape, an Australian company that specializes in prefabricated structures.

https://i.imgur.com/qeYFnnU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zEHdTsO.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sp1J3oG.jpg

Rather than being a disruption built along the skyline, Cliff House almost propels off of it, acting as an extension to the natural topography. The unique positioning also gives the home’s residents an incredible connection to the ocean below, while alleviating construction problems associated with building on uneven rock.

Related: Tropical Casa Flotanta Hovers Lightly Above the Pacific in Costa Rica

The prefab modules are arranged in a vertical floor plan, the rooms stacked atop each other and held securely in place with engineered steel pins. Residents would enter at the floor level with the cliff top, which includes an outdoor patio adjacent to their parking space. An elevator or stairs connects each floor, with the bedroom, living area and kitchen each having separate space on the various floors. The interior features minimal furniture throughout, in order to emphasize the connection to the ocean and the horizon. At the lowest floor, the home opens up to another outdoor space, which seems to float above the water. Patio furniture, an outdoor kitchen and a jacuzzi tub extend the luxurious feeling of being perched above the ocean.

Although still a concept, Cliff House could provide efficient and innovative housing in rocky areas deemed unlivable.

FBD
11-05-2020, 01:05 PM
wonder how it'll survive a tsunami :lol:

Muddy
11-05-2020, 02:15 PM
It's beautiful.. But No. I don't trust that thing one bit.

Griffin
11-05-2020, 02:18 PM
It would be real cool if the jacuzzi tub has a glass bottom.

Muddy
11-05-2020, 02:27 PM
It would be real cool if the jacuzzi tub has a glass bottom.

I could just lay in it and seize up.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-05-2020, 02:32 PM

Exactly....I wouldn't trust it unless those support posts were drilled about 1 mile deep into that cliff face :lol:

Muddy
11-05-2020, 03:03 PM
Exactly....I wouldn't trust it unless those support posts were drilled about 1 mile deep into that cliff face :lol:

:qft:

FBD
11-05-2020, 03:03 PM
I could just lay in it and seize up.

what made you afraid of heights?

FBD
11-05-2020, 03:04 PM

I trust the tensile strength of the steel more than I trust the integrity of the cliff face :lol:

Muddy
11-05-2020, 03:06 PM
what made you afraid of heights?

Lack of trust in mans engineering abilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsKKDLKYsVU

deebakes
11-06-2020, 03:13 AM
that place is really cool, i'd love it for feeling surrounded by nature :tup:

lost in melb.
11-06-2020, 07:43 AM

Ha, I know that part of the coastline and that porous limestone is notorious for snapping off.

also, every inch of coastline is government land. Good luck getting a permit

FBD
11-06-2020, 01:03 PM
Ha, I know that part of the coastline and that porous limestone is notorious for snapping off.

also, every inch of coastline is government land. Good luck getting a permit

Yeah cliff material is definitely a big deciding factor!

Aus....you keep making me ask myself, do you have any freedoms at all?

lost in melb.
11-06-2020, 01:28 PM
Yeah cliff material is definitely a big deciding factor!

Aus....you keep making me ask myself, do you have any freedoms at all?

I'm not going to answer that.

It's a wonderful thing because we can go down to any coast in Australia and you're free to walk, free to enjoy without some idiot claiming as their back yard

Muddy
11-06-2020, 01:34 PM

It's a wonderful thing because we can go down to any coast in Australia and you're free to walk, free to enjoy without some idiot claiming as their back yard

Thats pretty nice.. how far back from the coastline does the peoples land go?

FBD
11-06-2020, 01:38 PM
Its like living in a giant HOA :lol:

Griffin
11-06-2020, 01:57 PM

Thats pretty nice.. how far back from the coastline does the peoples land go?

I saw a Ronny Dahl episode where they were driving the Western Australia coastline and Ronny warned his viewers not to drive it because he had gotten special permission from the land owners to be on it. ;)