PDA

View Full Version : The "Garden" State: New Jersey Legalizes Recreational Marijuana Use

FBD
11-05-2020, 08:34 PM
https://www.zerohedge.com/political/garden-state-new-jersey-legalizes-recreational-marijuana-use

The "Garden" State: New Jersey Legalizes Recreational Marijuana Use

https://zh-prod-1cc738ca-7d3b-4a72-b792-20bd8d8fa069.storage.googleapis.com/s3fs-public/styles/inline_image_desktop/public/inline-images/happylittletrees.jpg

Just yesterday we wrote about a ballot initiative in Oregon that decriminalized hard drugs, including cocaine, heroin, meth and magic mushrooms. Meanwhile, on the other side of the country, New Jersey was approving a constitutional amendment to legalize cannabis in the state.

New Jersey authorized the legal use of recreational marijuana on election day after what the NY Times called "years of legislative failures" to do so. Supporters of the bill pointed to the disproportionate number of arrests occurring in minority communities as a result of marijuana.

The initiative passed by a "wide margin" and the next step now becomes state officials starting a "potentially lengthy" process of establishing rules around issuing cannabis licenses. The vote is also expected to pressure surrounding states like New York and Pennsylvania to follow suit.

State Senator Liz Krueger of New York said: “I’m going to cheer on New Jersey and hope that it helps us beat them to the punch.”

The state is planning to tax 6.625% on marijuana sales. Municipalities have the option of charging an extra tax of up to 2%. The state's Cannabis Regulatory Commission will have 5 members for "hashing out" additional details. To date, only one member has been appointed.

The tax revenue is appealing for the state, and may push New Jersey to move quickly in order to help address some of the state's budget gaps. The initiative could generate up to $126 million per year.

State Senator Nicholas Scutari wants existing medical marijuana companies in the state to be able to turn around and sell to recreational users, also: “We’re anticipating moving very quickly with enabling legislation, which would in fact allow medical marijuana shops to sell to the general public immediately. We’re happy to invite New York residents over to enjoy.”

He has called the war on marijuana in the state a “colossal waste of resources and a colossal waste of people’s lives.”

On the Wednesday before election day, New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy weighed in on the issue on Twitter, tweeting at 4:20PM, "time to legalize it".

Across the country, Montana and Arizona both approved ballot measures to legalize recreational marijuana. South Dakota also had legalization on the ballot. If the initiative passes in these states, almost 33% of the entire country will have legalized smoking marijuana without a medical justification.

Recall, it has been just 8 years since Colorado and Washington were the first states to do so. The process is starting to accelerate for states who have approved marijuana for medical use, as well. For example, Massachusetts took just two years to go from medical approval to recreational approval.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-05-2020, 08:44 PM
That sounds like a fair tax, this is why CA is still mostly black market

FBD
11-05-2020, 08:48 PM
licensure and all that is still stupid, there's no reason one should need a fkn license to grow. people can learn by trial and error not to use 6-6-6 ad that curing is a careful process if you dont want hay :lol:

but yeah, black market still king

Teh One Who Knocks
11-05-2020, 08:52 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Gwmt3I9.png

This is the tax rate in Colorado. This doesn't count any local/city sales tax in the jurisdiction it's sold in.

FBD
11-05-2020, 08:53 PM
This is the tax rate in Colorado. This doesn't count any local/city sales tax in the jurisdiction it's sold in.

30-35% tax is plenty enough to keep the black market in business forever

DemonGeminiX
11-05-2020, 11:58 PM
One year later: "In other news, the sales of "munchies" has skyrocketed in New Jersey."

Godfather
11-06-2020, 04:28 AM
licensure and all that is still stupid, there's no reason one should need a fkn license to grow. people can learn by trial and error not to use 6-6-6 ad that curing is a careful process if you dont want hay :lol:

but yeah, black market still king

You're allowed to grow 4 plants per-person here in BC without any special permissions which is kinda cool. I know a couple people who've given it a go.

The black market is still strong because there's a 2.5% excise tax on top of our usual 12% sales tax, but a report in BC this year estimated that the legal market recently surpassed illicit sales which was surprising.

My wife and I are extremely occasional users, we might split an edible and watch a goofy movie for old time's sake once or twice a year, so we go the legal route. The cannabis stores here are like friggin' Starbucks :lol: Fancy as hell and 10/10 customer service.

lost in melb.
11-06-2020, 07:14 AM
You're allowed to grow 4 plants per-person here in BC without any special permissions which is kinda cool. I know a couple people who've given it a go.

The black market is still strong because there's a 2.5% excise tax on top of our usual 12% sales tax, but a report in BC this year estimated that the legal market recently surpassed illicit sales which was surprising.

My wife and I are extremely occasional users, we might split an edible and watch a goofy movie for old time's sake once or twice a year, so we go the legal route. The cannabis stores here are like friggin' Starbucks :lol: Fancy as hell and 10/10 customer service.

Canada = new world Amsterdam :tup:

FBD
11-06-2020, 12:57 PM

That is one cool thing about legalization is that stores make and sell all kinds of shit that you'd never, ever thought of before :lol:

That is surprising, although I guess the tax rate isnt THAT bad and if ya dont know someone then its just easier - but when you know people that know people, then you wind up saying holy F that taxation! My buddy that has a card goes (I dont have a card, guns>weed as stupid as that choice existing is) and brings back this or that, usually focusing on the >25% stuff....like that Wedding Cake a little while back that was so absolutely expensive they were only selling eighths that added up to 540 an ounce....but then my other buddy goes to his guy and says hey check out this awesome wedding cake I just got, at 240 an ounce.

So long as the dispensaries keep raping people, you'll never see me there :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-06-2020, 01:07 PM
In the last couple of years in Colorado, there have been bigger illegal grow busts by joint federal/state/local LEA's than I can ever remember before it was legalized here. Two of the three most recent busts were up in the north suburbs of Denver, both withing a few miles of my neighborhood.

FBD
11-06-2020, 01:08 PM
In the last couple of years in Colorado, there have been bigger illegal grow busts by joint federal/state/local LEA's than I can ever remember before it was legalized here. Two of the three most recent busts were up in the north suburbs of Denver, both withing a few miles of my neighborhood.

what made them illegal? too big of an operation and not having a loicense?

federal shouldnt even be involved, those fuckers have no enumerated authority to say a damned thing about weed :x

Teh One Who Knocks
11-06-2020, 01:10 PM
what made them illegal? too big of an operation and not having a loicense?

They were all in private residences. You are only allowed 3 plants per 18+ persons living in a home with a max of 12 plants, for personal use. They were pulling out thousands of plants out of these houses.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-06-2020, 01:11 PM
More than 40 arrested in largest black-market marijuana bust in Colorado history (https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/more-than-40-arrested-in-largest-black-market-marijuana-bust-in-colorado-history)

FBD
11-06-2020, 01:15 PM
They were all in private residences. You are only allowed 3 plants per 18+ persons living in a home with a max of 12 plants, for personal use. They were pulling out thousands of plants out of these houses.

That's how you can tell people who dont smoke weed much less ever knew the first thing about growing weed made those laws. 3 plants is an absolute joke, how the hell is anyone supposed to keep a crop growing having a limit of 3 plants? You have to trim the shit out of them and cloning is what keeps your crop perpetuated, and far as I know they consider each clone to be a plant as soon as its snipped away. Even when my buddy and I had a small grow going on like 15 years ago, there was no way in hell we could keep things perpetuated without having 10-20 clones going at a time. 3 flowering plants at a time per person is....well, in the realm of acceptable, but again it all depends on how much time you want to leave them veg. 3 plants done outside all season can mean a 12 foot tall plant that you can harvest a couple pounds off of, but indoors is entirely different. And indoors is where the best bud is.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-06-2020, 01:29 PM
That's how you can tell people who dont smoke weed much less ever knew the first thing about growing weed made those laws. 3 plants is an absolute joke, how the hell is anyone supposed to keep a crop growing having a limit of 3 plants? You have to trim the shit out of them and cloning is what keeps your crop perpetuated, and far as I know they consider each clone to be a plant as soon as its snipped away. Even when my buddy and I had a small grow going on like 15 years ago, there was no way in hell we could keep things perpetuated without having 10-20 clones going at a time. 3 flowering plants at a time per person is....well, in the realm of acceptable, but again it all depends on how much time you want to leave them veg. 3 plants done outside all season can mean a 12 foot tall plant that you can harvest a couple pounds off of, but indoors is entirely different. And indoors is where the best bud is.

I was wrong, it's 6 plants per person, 3 of which can be flowering. That's the state law, not sure on local laws.

https://i.imgur.com/Syu0DDz.png

FBD
11-06-2020, 01:37 PM
risks of growing in your own home :rofl: now that's pretty funny, usually the biggest risk is you dont do a good job growing and your weed tastes like shit when you smoke it :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-06-2020, 01:42 PM
risks of growing in your own home :rofl: now that's pretty funny, usually the biggest risk is you dont do a good job growing and your weed tastes like shit when you smoke it :lol:

https://i.imgur.com/vw1z7TH.png

FBD
11-06-2020, 01:46 PM
More than 40 arrested in largest black-market marijuana bust in Colorado history (https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/more-than-40-arrested-in-largest-black-market-marijuana-bust-in-colorado-history)

“It’s impacting communities, it’s impacting neighborhoods, and it’s impacting public safety.
:rofl: reefer madness

but that's why you dont ever sell to anyone you dont know :shrug:

that said, thousands of plants is going for it....but again if you're popping them quickly, and if you want to do things quickly and get stuff to market as soon as possible, some people go that route and just grow 1 plant 1 top and 75-100 plants with some veg time can easily equal what's covered by an army popped as soon as they are able. that's kinda why if they just give a # without any sort of weight or context its kinda meaningless except where the law wants to put its dick in your ass.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-06-2020, 02:07 PM
:rofl: reefer madness

but that's why you dont ever sell to anyone you dont know :shrug:

that said, thousands of plants is going for it....but again if you're popping them quickly, and if you want to do things quickly and get stuff to market as soon as possible, some people go that route and just grow 1 plant 1 top and 75-100 plants with some veg time can easily equal what's covered by an army popped as soon as they are able. that's kinda why if they just give a # without any sort of weight or context its kinda meaningless except where the law wants to put its dick in your ass.

Those kinds of grows that they busted were all black market stuff to ship out of state.

Muddy
11-06-2020, 02:28 PM
The gubment got to get theirs... Fuckin assholes.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-06-2020, 02:32 PM
The gubment got to get theirs... Fuckin assholes.

That's the ONLY reason why states are legalizing. It's not because they think it's time for weed to be legal, it's for a new tax revenue stream. That's it.

Muddy
11-06-2020, 02:33 PM
That's the ONLY reason why states are legalizing. It's not because they think it's time for weed to be legal, it's for a new tax revenue stream. That's it.

You're probably right. Fuck the will of the people and their personal rights.

FBD
11-06-2020, 02:36 PM
Those kinds of grows that they busted were all black market stuff to ship out of state.Of course they were, that doesnt really change that its laughable for a fed to assert that weed is destroying communities. The way I see it, I'd rather the money be going to some random american than a mexican drug cartel, so I really dont have a problem with it. All "Black Market" means is that the tax man isnt dipping his fkn hand into it.

dingdingding its always about the tax man

Godfather
11-07-2020, 01:34 AM

Man, I can tell you from my days in home insurance that illegal grow ops can FUCK up a house. But those were big grow shows hiding under crappy landlord's noses... all that moisture fucks houses, shoddy wiring for the electric work caused fires. But I agree, 3-6 plants is no different than growing tomato in your basement like my grandma did all winter :lol:

FBD
11-07-2020, 02:21 PM
Man, I can tell you from my days in home insurance that illegal grow ops can FUCK up a house. But those were big grow shows hiding under crappy landlord's noses... all that moisture fucks houses, shoddy wiring for the electric work caused fires. But I agree, 3-6 plants is no different than growing tomato in your basement like my grandma did all winter :lol:

there I go making the "well, these are common sense things, you're messing with the water balance in the air and need to manage that, etc" argument in my head again :lol: it usually winds up being that the only people that get caught or the only people that fuck up a house are the ones that get reckless with shit. and well, you've also got to clean up after yourself, like with anything else...dont clean for too long and things get shitty with just about anything, not cleaning up leaves, no dehumidifier and shit is just asking for problems. its usually the people that try to do this instead of having an actual job that are the problems :lol: