PDA

View Full Version : Dublin Airport respond after group finds ‘loophole’ in restrictions and go for pints without boarding flight

Teh One Who Knocks
11-09-2020, 12:38 PM
Dara Browne - The Irish Sun

https://i.imgur.com/uqYeYEH.jpg

DUBLIN Airport have responded after a group of lads went boozing inside without boarding a flight.

The group bought a flight for €9.99 in order to bypass security and go for pints in the airport bar.

https://i.imgur.com/hpeRxia.jpg

Dublin Airport has been deemed an essential service by government and is therefore allowed to open during Level 5 lockdown.

All restaurants and cafes serving alcohol in the airport can remain open with the €9 meal rule in place.

Earlier this week however, a group of four found a way around the Level 5 restrictions, which has seen all pubs close for indoor dining, and purchased flights for the sole purpose of drinking pints in the airport.

Taking to social media, they said: "When the pubs are closed and the only place serving is the airport, so u book a €9.99 flight (that you have no intention of getting on) to go for beers with the lads, down there for dancing."

OPEN TO COURT APPEARANCE

A Dublin Airport spokesperson said that people booking cheap flights in an attempt to drink inside with no intention of boarding their plane could be punished, as they could be in breach of airport bye-laws.

They said: "The Government has indicated that the operation of Irish airports is an 'essential service' within the Level 5 guidelines.

"The provision of food and beverage facilities in the airside area – i.e. after security - to the very small number of people who are travelling at present is part of that service.

"The operator of the outlet in question requires anyone purchasing alcohol to also purchase a substantial meal at a cost of €9.

"If, as is claimed, four individuals went through security with no intention to travel, but rather to avail of that food and beverage service, that would appear to be a breach of airport bye-laws which state that “a person may not engage in any activity which jeopardises or interferes with the … orderly operation of an airport."

The spokesperson warned that individuals in breach of these bye-laws may be open to a possible court appearance.

SOCIAL MEDIA BACKLASH

They continued: "We have no evidence whatsoever that such activity is occurring, other than a single post on a specific Facebook page.

"If, as it is claimed, four individuals engaged in this activity and booked flights at a cost of €9.99 each, then each would also have had to purchase a €9 meal.

"Therefore, the group would have had to spend €75.96, plus the cost of travel to and from Dublin Airport, before they bought a single alcoholic beverage."

The social media post issued by the group received strong backlash from the public.

One person said: ""You would want to be pretty desperate to go to these levels just for a few pints. Sad if you ask me. Six weeks without a pint isn’t going to kill ya."

The Angry Bartender replied: "Ah lighten up FFS".

While another person criticised the order saying: "A great idea ruined by someone ordering Guinness at the airport bar. When will people learn?"

FBD
11-09-2020, 12:49 PM
I cant wait until we've won and the rest of the world can start dropping this silly bullshit like its a crazy girl's number on a piece of paper

Godfather
11-10-2020, 04:19 AM
Airport beers are actually the best thing in the world, perhaps what I miss most about traveling for work :lol: Where the hell else in the Western world is it TOTALLY acceptable to order a beer at 8am?? It's unites all types. Mothers trying to fly their kids home, dudes working away on laptops, college kids going for spring break, retirees heading to Florida.... We all love pre-flight beers. 'Termies' as we call them.

It's a beautiful thing.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-10-2020, 11:20 AM
Airport beers are actually the best thing in the world, perhaps what I miss most about traveling for work :lol: Where the hell else in the Western world is it TOTALLY acceptable to order a beer at 8am?? It's unites all types. Mothers trying to fly their kids home, dudes working away on laptops, college kids going for spring break, retirees heading to Florida.... We all love pre-flight beers. 'Termies' as we call them.

It's a beautiful thing.

Unless you have a 7 hour layover at Logan Airport before your flight to Europe and you spend the whole time at the airport bar and you're hammered when you board and as it wears off at 35,000' and you feel sick as a dog for most of the flight and the whole day after you land. :thumbsdown:

Or so I've heard 8-[

FBD
11-10-2020, 12:44 PM
:lol:

Godfather
11-11-2020, 02:49 AM
Unless you have a 7 hour layover at Logan Airport before your flight to Europe and you spend the whole time at the airport bar and you're hammered when you board and as it wears off at 35,000' and you feel sick as a dog for most of the flight and the whole day after you land. :thumbsdown:

Or so I've heard 8-[

:lol: It definitely takes some planning ahead, you do not want to be too drunk and/or hungover in the air. I think alcohol impacts you worse at altitude.

lost in melb.
11-11-2020, 10:36 AM
Annnnd any airport food or drink tastes better than what they serve in the plane (unless you're really lucky)

PorkChopSandwiches
11-11-2020, 05:08 PM
Where the hell else in the Western world is it TOTALLY acceptable to order a beer at 8am?? It's unites all types.

It's a beautiful thing.

Las Vegas :lol:

KevinD
11-11-2020, 10:10 PM
Due to a delayed flight (and to be fair, some drinking earlier in the day) I once got so drunk in the Lima airport, I literally don't remember getting on the plane. My last memory is "singing" at the bar with some Irish footballers, then being woken up to an empty plane in Houston...

PorkChopSandwiches
11-12-2020, 05:10 PM
Due to a delayed flight (and to be fair, some drinking earlier in the day) I once got so drunk in the Lima airport, I literally don't remember getting on the plane. My last memory is "singing" at the bar with some Irish footballers, then being woken up to an empty plane in Houston...

I missed my fight sitting in a bar right outside my gate. My wife and kids with me and everything. Beer and xanax, I wasn't even mad LOL next flight was 30 min later

FBD
11-12-2020, 05:16 PM
:lol: