PDA

View Full Version : 'Polar night' arrives in Alaska town that won't see sun again until Jan. 23

Teh One Who Knocks
11-20-2020, 12:26 PM
By Scott Stump - Today

https://i.imgur.com/qW2vnPt.png

Things have taken a dark turn in Utqiaġvik, Alaska.

The sun set on Wednesday at 1:30 p.m. local time in the northernmost town in the United States and will not rise again for 65 days, according to the National Weather Service.

Citizens of Utqiaġvik, formerly known as Barrow, have seen their last sunset until Jan. 23, 2021, which means by the time the sun comes up again, the country will have a new president, as President-elect Joe Biden's inauguration will be on Jan. 20.

The long period of darkness is due to "polar night," which occurs at high latitudes in the Arctic and Antarctic circles every winter.
The phenomenon occurs because regions in the Arctic circle are tilted away from the sun on the Earth's axis during winter, according to The Weather Channel.

The city is not completely plunged into darkness the whole time, as there are a few hours a day where there is enough light to see, but the sun never fully rises above the horizon.

While the residents of Utqiaġvik stock up on vitamin D, they can also look forward to a blindingly bright summer, as the same effect causes days of near total sunshine from May through August.

FBD
11-20-2020, 12:42 PM
f being that far north :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-20-2020, 12:56 PM
f being that far north :lol:

I think it would be kinda awesome to experience for one season :lol: I'd never be able to get the wife to move to Alaska though, she gets cold at 75°.

FBD
11-20-2020, 01:05 PM
I think it would be kinda awesome to experience for one season :lol: I'd never be able to get the wife to move to Alaska though, she gets cold at 75°.

Its great when its summertime, winter, not so much! Even the places where you're only getting 4 hours of daylight, its still almost like its nothing anyway

DemonGeminiX
11-20-2020, 03:05 PM

Oh yeah, it would be great.... until the vampires show up.

[-(

Teh One Who Knocks
11-20-2020, 03:09 PM
Oh yeah, it would be great.... until the vampires show up.

[-(

You only have to hold out for 30 days :hand:

DemonGeminiX
11-20-2020, 03:23 PM
You only have to hold out for 30 days :hand:

Pffft! You won't hold out for 30 minutes. [-(

Teh One Who Knocks
11-20-2020, 03:27 PM
Pffft! You won't hold out for 30 minutes. [-(

How do you know my kid isn't the one girl in all the world, a chosen one. She alone will wield the strength and skill to fight the vampires, demons, and the forces of darkness; to stop the spread of their evil and the swell of their number. She is the Slayer. :-s

DemonGeminiX
11-20-2020, 03:30 PM
How do you know my kid isn't the one girl in all the world, a chosen one. She alone will wield the strength and skill to fight the vampires, demons, and the forces of darkness; to stop the spread of their evil and the swell of their number. She is the Slayer. :-s

:-s

Ok, but are you nice to her?

Teh One Who Knocks
11-20-2020, 03:34 PM
Of course I am :-s

DemonGeminiX
11-20-2020, 03:38 PM
Of course I am :-s

Did she ever ask for a pony? Did you ever give it to her? She might be holding a few grudges, bub. You might be a sitting duck, and not even know it yet.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-20-2020, 03:40 PM

Did she ever ask for a pony? Did you ever give it to her? She might be holding a few grudges, bub. You might be a sitting duck, and not even know it yet.

As Slayer, it is her job to kill the vampires :hand:

FBD
11-20-2020, 03:47 PM
/angel of death screams

Muddy
11-20-2020, 05:01 PM
Isn't there an awesome horror movie about this?

DemonGeminiX
11-20-2020, 05:05 PM
As Slayer, it is her job to kill the vampires :hand:

Yeah, but she doesn't have to save you. She can wait until they're full from eating you, then take them out. You're bait, buddy. You should've bought her that pony.

Isn't there an awesome horror movie about this?

30 Days of Night

Godfather
11-21-2020, 01:51 AM
I couldn't do it. I'm on the 49th parallel and it gets dark here before 4:30 these days and even that drives me a little batty.

I was supposed to go to a wedding way up north near Dawson City this summer (F U Covid) when the sun would've been up for 20+ hours, that would've been neat, hopefully next year.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-23-2020, 06:34 PM
When we took our Alaka cruise, the sun would get just under the horizon and then come back up. Didnt get dark for very long