PDA

View Full Version : Blast near prime minister's office in Oslo

Hugh_Janus
07-22-2011, 03:22 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14252515

A large explosion has hit near government headquarters in the Norwegian capital Oslo.

At least one person was killed in the city centre blast, national broadcaster NRK reports.

The offices of Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg were damaged extensively but a government spokeswoman said he was safe.

At least eight people were injured, local media said. No-one has said they were behind the explosion.

Television footage from the scene showed rubble and glass from shattered windows in the streets - smoke was around some buildings. The wreckage of at least one car was in street.

All roads into the city centre have been closed, said the NRK, and security officials evacuated people from the area, fearing another blast.

Continue reading the main story
Analysis

Frank Gardner
BBC security correspondent
We have to try to keep an open mind until it is confirmed that this was a terrorist act.

Certainly the indications point to it being at least one possibly more bomb blasts but that is not confirmed yet. Everybody is working on the suspicion that this is terrorism.

It is very unusual for something like this to happen in Norway. Sweden had its own experience of this in downtown Stockholm some months ago, with a car bomb that exploded, killing the person who detonated it.

Oistein Mjarum, head of communications for the Norwegian Red Cross, said his offices were close to the site of the explosion.

"There was a massive explosion which could be heard over the capital Oslo," he told the BBC.

Government spokeswoman Camilla Ryste told the Associated Press Mr Stoltenberg was safe. Initial reports said he was no hurt.

'Complete chaos'
Mr Mjarum said there were fires burning in the prime minister's 17-storey building.

"This is a very busy area on Friday afternoon and there was a lot of people in the streets, and many people working in these buildings that are now burning," he said.

Eyewitness Ole Tommy Pedersen said he was standing at a bus stop about 100m away from the blast.

"I saw three or four injured people being carried out of the building a few minutes later," Mr Pedersen told AP.

He said there was a cloud of smoke billowing from the lower floors.

An NRK journalist, Ingunn Andersen, said the headquarters of tabloid newspaper VG had also been damaged.

"I see that some windows of the VG building and the government headquarters have been broken. Some people covered with blood are lying in the street," AP quoted her as saying.

"It's complete chaos here. The windows are blown out in all the buildings close by."

The BBC's Security Correspondent Frank Gardner says that while there is no official word on whether the blast was deliberate its location, close to so many government buildings, is significant.

Mr Mjarum said people were in shock in Oslo and across Norway.

"We have never had a terrorist attack like this in Norway - if that's what it is - but of course this has been a great fear for all Norwegians when they have seen what has been happening around the world."

Acid Trip
07-22-2011, 04:58 PM
This is getting worse by the minute.

5.48pm: In central Oslo, the train station has been evacuated as well as the headquarters of broadcaster TV2 because of suspicious packages.

5.47pm: Anti-terrorism police are being sent to Utoya where the Labour party youth camp has come under fire, the BBC is reporting. NRK says five people have been injured.

Andrew Boyle, a journalist in Norway, has sent me the following:

There are 700 people on the island camp. At 5.20 pm ambulance personel were told not to proceed out to the island because there was still shooting there. One Labour youth member tweeted: "We are sitting down by the beach. A man is shotting clothed in a police uniform. Help us! When are the police coming to help us!"

Police stormtroopers are about to land on Utoya island from helicopters. Shooting still going on. Eyewitness describes shooting from his position on the mainland: "There is a little war going on out there"

5.40pm: Police have confirmed the shooting incident, reports Reuters.

The news agency also quotes senior police officer, Thor Langli, saying the explosion that hit government buildings "may have been a car bomb".

5.31pm: Neil Perry has sent me more details of the shooting on the Labour party youth camp, which suggests the possibility of co-ordinated attacks. It is a Google translation from Dagbladet, tidied up a bit, so it is not perfect.

Eyewitnesses told the AP that a man dressed as a police officer has fired several shots at Utøya in Buskerud. AP spoke with one of those who were on Utoya where there is an AUF event with over 700 people.

"Suddenly, we heard lots of shooting. People had to run and hide. We have been told to get off the island."

"We now have reports of a serious situation there - a critical situation on Utøya," Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg told TV 2

The police are now on site and sealed off the area. Bjorn Jarle Røberg-Larsen of Labor, is not in Utoya, but has had telephone contact with young people who are on the island.

"They say that at least one person wearing a police-like uniform was firing shots with a handgun," he said.

He says that the young people he talked to were hiding and dared not speak on the phone anymore for fear of being discovered by the perpetrator.

"Young people have to swim in panic, and it is far to the mainland from Utoya. Others are hiding. Those I spoke with did not want to talk more. They were terrified," he said to VG Nett.

5.16pm: Neil Perry in Oslo just sent me this worrying development. I'll try to get more details:

A man disguised as a police officer began shooting where youth were attending a Labour party conference at Utoya, Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg has just confirmed.

He said there is a 'critical and serious situation' but he is safe.

He was speaking on the phone to Norwegian TV station TV2.

UPDATE: This post was amended as Stoltenberg was not present at the conference as previously stated. He had been due to attend it but did not go.

5.11pm: Police are now saying 15 people are confirmed injured, says the BBC.

They are telling people to leave the centre of Oslo and warning there could be more explosions.

They are also examining an unexploded package, although the location of the package is not clear.

4.57pm: You can watch the live coverage from state broadcaster NRK here (it is in Norwegian). (via my colleague Laura Oliver)

4.56pm: The official police statement says:

There has been one or several powerful explosions in the government district in Oslo. So far, police cannot say anything about the scope of the damage, aside from that there's been one or several explosions.

The BBC says police have told them it is believed to be terrorism-related although they do not no the motive.

4.48pm: The police have said on NRK that there are more dead (and injured) inside the buildings, Neil Perry, a former Guardian colleague, now living in Oslo informs me.

Also, Norway government official Hans Kristian Amundsen told the BBC that there are people trapped at bomb site

Neil said officers say there are quite a few injured inside the affected buildings who have
called police on their mobiles to let them know they are inside.

Neil also shared his own reaction when the bomb went off:

I live in Vålerenga, which is about a 15-minute bus journey from the city centre. It was loud even where I was, I jumped and initially thought it was thunder. Then I saw a large white cloud of smoke rising in the distance.

4.39pm: According to reports from the newspaper Dagsbladet, the bomb was meant to target the office of the oil and energy ministry, Lars Eriksen in Demark informs me.

FBD
07-22-2011, 05:15 PM
ya know, in case anyone doesnt know already that its islamic f;n terrorists...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kkFYUP3aKbU

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/07/blast-in-oslo-blows-out-government-office-building-windows/1?csp=34news

Update at 10:14 a.m. ET: Although the source of the blast is unclear, Al-Jazeera TV notes that Norwegian prosecutors on Tuesday filed a terrorism charge against Mullah Krekar, founder of the Kurdish Islamist group Ansar al-Islam.

Lambchop
07-22-2011, 05:59 PM
12 confirmed dead so far. Fuck :|

http://i55.tinypic.com/xqibh0.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/14xp3px.jpg

Hal-9000
07-22-2011, 06:03 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kkFYUP3aKbU

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/07/blast-in-oslo-blows-out-government-office-building-windows/1?csp=34news

Update at 10:14 a.m. ET: Although the source of the blast is unclear, Al-Jazeera TV notes that Norwegian prosecutors on Tuesday filed a terrorism charge against Mullah Krekar, founder of the Kurdish Islamist group Ansar al-Islam.

I was just about to ask who the conflict was between....so Islam is making a reprisal against the terrorism charge?
fucking cowards

SmoothBob
07-22-2011, 06:27 PM
Jesus, this is pretty horrific! :(

Goofy
07-22-2011, 06:42 PM
They're now reporting 25-30 people dead on Utoya island :( Killed by a lone gunman wearing police clothing

FBD
07-22-2011, 08:36 PM
...as CAIR expects us all to welcome all of Islam with open arms...

I'm sorry, but if you're a member of a group that preaches colonization, deceit and killing, you're simply not fuggin welcome.

Acid Trip
07-22-2011, 09:10 PM
They're now reporting 25-30 people dead on Utoya island :( Killed by a lone gunman wearing police clothing

At a youth camp no less! It was a politically affiliated youth camp, but they were still just kids.

JoeyB
07-22-2011, 09:31 PM
There will be a lot of confusion and fear throughout Norway tonight, it is best we wish these people well and hope they can find peace of mind. The worst damage from this sort of attack is what it does to people at large. God be with them all.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-23-2011, 11:55 AM
91 dead in island massacre, bombing in Norway
Report: suspect bought 6 ton of fertilizer
By BJOERN H. AMLAND and LOUISE NORDSTROM – The Associated Press

SUNDVOLLEN, Norway – A Norwegian newspaper says the man suspected in the bomb blast that tore apart buildings in the heart of Oslo and in a shooting spree at a youth camp bought six tons of artificial fertilizer some 10 weeks before the attacks.

Verdens Gang newspaper cites Oddny Estenstad, a spokeswoman for agricultural material supplier Felleskjopet, who says the products were delivered to the suspect on May 4.

Artificial fertilizer is highly explosive and can be used in homemade bombs.

Estenstad says police were alerted to the purchase after it emerged the man was suspected of the deadly attacks.

Estenstad didn't answer phone calls seeking comment Saturday. In total, 91 people have been confirmed dead in the bombing and shooting massacre.

FBD
07-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Estenstad says police were alerted to the purchase after it emerged the man was suspected of the deadly attacks.

:facepalm:

seriously, who the hell goes and buys 6 tons of fertilizer!!!!

Goofy
07-23-2011, 03:37 PM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jul/23/norway-attack-utoya-shooting-oslo

A Norwegian dressed as a police officer killed at least 80 people at an island retreat, police said early on Saturday. It took investigators several hours to begin to realise the full scope of the massacre, which followed an explosion in Oslo that killed seven and that police say was set off by the same suspect.

Police initially said about 10 people were killed at the camp on the island of Utøya, but some survivors said they thought the toll was much higher. Police director Øystein Mæland told reporters early on Saturday they had discovered many more victims.

"It's taken time to search the area. What we know now is that we can say that there are at least 80 killed at Utøya," Mæland said. "It goes without saying that this gives dimensions to this incident that are exceptional."

Mæland said the death toll could rise even more. He said others were severely injured, but police did not know how many were hurt.

A suspect in the shootings and the Oslo explosion was arrested. Though police did not release his name, Norwegian national broadcaster NRK identified him as 32-year-old Anders Behring Breivik and said police searched his Oslo apartment overnight.

A police official said the suspect appears to have acted alone in both attacks, and that "it seems that this is not linked to any international terrorist organisations". The official spoke on condition of anonymity because that information had not been officially released by Norway's police.

Hal-9000
07-23-2011, 06:59 PM
So was there a purchase of 6 tons of fertilizer?

We had a scary one up here in Canada a few years back that involved some Mulims buying supplies and that eventually tipped off the authorities (Thank God)
One of the perpetrators had been a Canadian citizen for over 15 years...a teacher of all things :|

DemonGeminiX
07-23-2011, 07:04 PM
I think the dude was a farmer so 6 tons of fertilizer wasn't a warning flag, or so I've read.

Lambchop
07-23-2011, 08:11 PM
Surprised that he turned out to be a blonde white guy. I guess that just shows how conditioned we have become. o_0

Anders Behring Breivik, had fundamentalist views, hated liberal politics, Muslims and immigrants, and is believed to have well thought out and planned his attacks.

minz
07-23-2011, 09:33 PM
What kind of a sick f**ker could do something like this, and then hide behind a religion, he needs locking away for the rest of his days, he's not a christian he's a racist murdering b*****d. So many innocent lives taken. :(

Noilly Pratt
07-24-2011, 02:02 AM
What kind of a sick f**ker could do something like this, and then hide behind a religion, he needs locking away for the rest of his days, he's not a christian he's a racist murdering b*****d. So many innocent lives taken. :(

My thoughts exactly -- I just imagine what I would be like if my kid was at that camp...I would be inconsolable. And, I've worked for the Provincial Government before - imagine if I were the IT guy just checking on a faulty PC.

I feel very selfish today -- before I heard about all this in Norway, I was complaining because I had back pain today. I went to the physio yesterday and they think my lowest cartilage in my spine is inflamed a bit, and touching a nerve and giving me grief. I have really nothing to worry about compared with them.

I thought what the Swedish foreign minister said was very touching "We are all Norwegians today". If any of you have Norwegian relatives, tell them that the world (as represented by the diversity in this forum) mourns with them.:grouphug:

Godfather
07-24-2011, 02:47 AM
This just the very saddest and most disturbing thing in a very long time. It's painful just to think about. How could one (perhaps two) person shoot 80+ kids?! Dressed as a police officer and shooting kids swimming away in the water.

That man is truly possessed by something evil

It's so fucking sick. Don't even really want to discuss it...

Southern Belle
07-24-2011, 02:52 AM
This just reinforces my prejudice against Muslims. How horrible.

And just when I heard on the news that Al Quaida is recruiting children.
Low life fuckers.

Godfather
07-24-2011, 02:56 AM
This just reinforces my prejudice against Muslims. How horrible.

And just when I heard on the news that Al Quaida is recruiting children.
Low life fuckers.

I don't mean to accuse you of anything, but did you read the articles?

The shooter/bomber was a self-proclaimed Christian, a native Norwegian. It was his racism towards Muslims and hatred of multiculturalism that he claimed to be the driving force behind this heinous act.

This isn't an ideological debate, it's tragedy committed by one disturbed sicko... but I don't get why you feel the need to say what this Breivik guy claims 'made him do it'?

Southern Belle
07-24-2011, 03:07 AM
I don't mean to accuse you of anything, but did you read the articles?

The shooter/bomber was a self-proclaimed Christian, a native Norwegian. It was his racism towards Muslims and hatred of multiculturalism that he claimed to be the driving force behind this heinous act.

This isn't an ideological debate, it's tragedy committed by one disturbed sicko... but I don't get why you feel the need to say what this Breivik guy claims 'made him do it'?

I apologize. I'm guilty of scanning and when I saw Muslim, I just assumed....
Now I'm ashamed of a supposedly fellow Christian being a terrorist. It's sad that so many people who claim to be Christians behave this way. The ones who protest at funerals of service men killed in the line of duty. The ones who bomb abortion clinics. They are all terrorists.
This will help me be more tolerant. Some.

Godfather
07-24-2011, 03:10 AM
I apologize. I'm guilty of scanning and when I saw Muslim, I just assumed....
Now I'm ashamed of a supposedly fellow Christian being a terrorist. It's sad that so many people who claim to be Christians behave this way. The ones who protest at funerals of service men killed in the line of duty. The ones who bomb abortion clinics. They are all terrorists.
This will help me be more tolerant. Some.

I have to admit too... when I read this I just figured it was terrorism from the Middle East.

There's something very disturbing about it coming from the opposite end of the spectrum :wha: That he claims to be a Christian is so wrong... how hard is 'though shall not kill'?

Anyways, ideology isn't important here. I just pray for the victims and their families and friends. The images I have in my head from reading the stories from survivors are going to give me nightmares.

Southern Belle
07-24-2011, 03:13 AM
That's what I think too.

Godfather
07-24-2011, 03:21 AM
Wow...

A Norway youth camp shooting survivor told CBC News Network Saturday that he played dead around the bodies of his friends and didn't dare move — even when the gunman shot him in the shoulder at close range.
Adrian Pracon, 21, a youth leader at the Utoya camp who spoke to CBC News Network ahead of going into surgery for his wound, recalled how he was so close to the gunman that he "felt the warmth" from his weapon.

Pracon said he was on his way up to the coffee shop to buy some chips and soda and planned to share with the other people about the bombing in Oslo when gunshots rang out.

"I'm standing there buying this and then 10, 20 seconds and the shooting started. People are running up hill towards coffee shop. Many made it but many didn't make it and were shot. They landed at my feet."

' I could hear his breath, I could hear his shoes. I could feel the warmth from the gun.'—Survivor Adrian Pracon

"We all ran into the water, at which point, I didn't have time to take off my clothes, it was very hard to swim and I struggled," Pracon said.

"We turned back [and] the gunman aimed the barrel at me. I said, 'Please don't shoot.' He didn't shoot. He was five, 10 metres away. I got back, changed to a sweater [and] tried to stay calm. Suddenly, the gunman started to shoot at people again."

It was then that Pracon lay among his dead friends.

Follow Nahlah Ayed on Twitter as she reports from Norway

"I was lucky. I was lying on the ground and I played dead, that's why he put the bullet in my shoulder," he said. "I didn't move, I was so focused not to move. He shot from a distance of one metre.

"I could hear his breath, I could hear his shoes. I could feel the warmth from the gun."

Pracon said people started screaming when the real police arrived, fearing they were also a part of the attack.
'I saw many dead people'

This Thursday July 21, 2011 photo shows young people on the Labour Youth League summer camp on Utoya island, Norway when Norwegian Foreign Minister Jonas Gahr Stoere made a visit. This Thursday July 21, 2011 photo shows young people on the Labour Youth League summer camp on Utoya island, Norway when Norwegian Foreign Minister Jonas Gahr Stoere made a visit. Scanpix/Vegard Gratt/Associated Press Other survivors described a surge of panic and horror as they fled from a man dressed in a police uniform opening fire on their friends.

A 16-year-old witness named Hana told the country's Aftenposten newspaper that she and a group of other campers gathered in the main house to talk about what had happened in Oslo.

"Suddenly we heard shots. First we thought it was nonsense. Then everyone started running," she said.

"I saw a policeman stand there with earplugs. He said 'I'd like to gather everyone'. Then he ran in and started shooting at people. We ran down toward the beach and began to swim."

A 15-year-old camper named Elise said she heard the gunshots but felt safe after seeing a police officer. Then he started shooting people right before her eyes.

"I saw many dead people," said Elise, whose father, didn't want her to disclose her last name. "He first shot people on the island. Afterward he started shooting people in the water."

Elise said she hid behind the same rock that the killer was standing on.

"I could hear his breathing from the top of the rock," she said.

She said it was impossible to say how many minutes passed while she was waiting for him to stop.

Southern Belle
07-24-2011, 03:25 AM
How terrifying for those kids.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Norway Massacre Suspect A 'Dexter' Fan
By Radar Staff

http://i.imgur.com/JbtJi.jpg

His golden movie star looks make him the most unlikely of mass murder suspects but that's exactly what Anders Behring Brevik is, according to Norway authorities.

Now RadarOnline.com has uncovered that Brevik's Facebook page listed Dexter as his favorite TV show.

Dexter is the cult hit Showtime series starring Michael C. Hall as a serial killer!

Breivik, a 32-year-old Norwegian native, is alleged to have gone on a killing rampage Friday. He has now been charged with brutally slaying at least 85 people, most of them children, on the island of Utoeya, plus another seven in a bomb blast in Oslo.

Another five five people are still missing, thought to have fled into the water in an attempt to swim away from the island where hundreds of children were enjoying a summer camp.

Brevik also described himself as a conservative Christian on his Facebook page. He said he's a member of Nordisk, a group with over 20,000 members that focuses on political terrorism.

Described by local media as a 'loner' he had never married and lived with his mother in a wealthy area of Oslo.

Well-educated and handsome, Brevik had started his own organic farm and listed his other interests as body-building and freemasonry on the social networking site.

Just days before the attacks he set up a Twitter account and posted the message: "One person with a belief is equal to 100,000 who have only interests."

It's not yet known why he is believed to have targeted the children at camp.

Facebook has now taken down Brevik's page, but dozens of fake ones have since materialized.

deebakes
07-24-2011, 02:53 PM
wow. truly fucked up and not getting enough coverage...

Goofy
07-24-2011, 03:28 PM
I have to admit too... when I read this I just figured it was terrorism from the Middle East.

I think we all do nowadays, our brains make it the natural conclusion after 9/11 and the recent killing of Bin Laden.

Noilly Pratt
07-24-2011, 05:00 PM
I always try to find the good out of every situation...it's the "Mary Poppins" in me...I think I have found it, hopefully.

Terrorism - the act of terrifying another is not just an Islamic/Muslim thing...something we've just been reminded of. There have been people committing acts of terror since the world began and there still will be on the last day of the earth.

It's very convenient for some extremists to cloak themselves and make their agendas resonate with others by using religion or another belief system to support whatever position they've chosen.

This guy in Oslo was a Christian Fundamentalist and a Freemason, but I'm not ready to tar and feather every Freemason because of it. If we have this mentality of labeling "all" because of "some" then the extremists have won, they've planted the seed of terror, and it creates terror and suspicion within us.

We have to rethink how we view each other - no matter what God, what religion, what belief system you may believe in (or even if you believe in absolutely nothing), there is someone out there who thinks like you, but in an extremist way. And they will commit an act of terror to fight for that belief.

Maybe this horrible, horrible act will make the world at large realize that the Muslim population doesn't have a monopoly on terrorism.

Hugh_Janus
07-24-2011, 10:53 PM
There's something very disturbing about it coming from the opposite end of the spectrum :wha: That he claims to be a Christian is so wrong... how hard is 'though shall not kill'?

I suppose that's how the muz-lums feel.... you know, the ones that don't want to blow the shit outta everything

Hal-9000
07-25-2011, 01:03 AM
This just the very saddest and most disturbing thing in a very long time. It's painful just to think about. How could one (perhaps two) person shoot 80+ kids?! Dressed as a police officer and shooting kids swimming away in the water.

That man is truly possessed by something evil

It's so fucking sick..

I think that would be the core comment..doesn't matter what religion he's following, what TV shows he's watching.

He's a person in appearance only, his mind is gone.

deebakes
07-25-2011, 01:13 AM
As Norwegians try to make sense of the terror attacks that killed 94 people on Friday, many questions remain unanswered:

Were the attacks the work of a lone gunman?

Police say Anders Behring Breivik, who has admitted responsibility for the bomb and gun attacks, claims to have acted alone. Investigations are continuing into unconfirmed reports of a second gunman on the island of Utøya and possible connections between Breivik and far-right international groups. The police chief, Sveinung Sponheim, said they were "not at all certain" whether Breivik had acted alone. "That is one of the things that the investigation will concentrate on." But so far, no evidence has emerged implicating anybody else and police say they have no other suspects at present.

Breivik appears to have been a loner with few friends. He was described by Norwegian media as a rightwing fanatic. His father, who lives in France, said he had had no contact with his son since 1995. Comparisons have been drawn with Timothy McVeigh, who killed 168 people with a truck bomb in Oklahoma City in 1995.

Why did he do it?

Breivik appears to have developed a pathological hatred of the Norwegian "establishment", principally the political class symbolised by the ruling Labour party, whose youth camp on Utøya he attacked. His political views were too extreme for the rightwing Progress party, of which he was once a member.

An ethnic Norwegian, he was strongly opposed to signature government policies favouring multiculturalism. Although an apparent racial supremacist and Islamophobe, he adopted the language of Muslim jihadists.

Agencies reported that a video posted on the YouTube website showed several pictures of Breivik, including one of him in a scuba diving outfit pointing an automatic weapon. "Before we can start our crusade we must do our duty by decimating cultural marxism," said a caption under the video called Knights Templar 2083. The video has been taken down.

A Norwegian website has provided a link to a 1,500-page electronic manifesto and a book which Breivik was said to have written. "Once you decide to strike, it is better to kill too many than not enough, or you risk reducing the desired ideological impact of the strike," the book said.

Breivik's lawyer, Geir Lippestad, said: "He has said that he believed the actions were atrocious, but that in his head they were necessary."

Could more have been done to prevent the attacks?

Police said it took them an hour to stop the massacre on Utøya island, from the moment they were notified of the shootings to the point when they arrested Breivik. "The response time from when we got the message was quick," Sponheim said after criticism that there had been an unacceptable delay. "There were problems with transport out to the island."

One unanswered question is why police drove, instead of using a helicopter. Utøya island is situated in a lake about 26 miles north-west of Oslo.

It was also unclear whether the police had the appropriate equipment and weapons for dealing with a homicidal gunman or gunmen. The government buildings in Oslo appear to have been relatively unprotected compared with their equivalents in London or Washington DC. The bombing and massacre are certain to force a top-level security rethink.

How was the gunman captured?

Police have not given any details of Breivik's capture, but said he gave himself up to armed officers when they arrived on Utøya. Breivik seems to have surrendered without a fight and does not appear to have attempted to escape. This suggests he was determined that his actions would have the maximum political impact, including what is certain to be a high-profile trial.

Breivik does not appear to have tried to turn his gun on himself, as perpetrators of similar mass killings in the US and Britain have done.

How will Norwegians respond to the massacre?

The initial reaction among Norwegians has been one of shock that such a tragedy could occur in a traditionally peaceful country where crime rates are low – and that the perpetrator was one of their "own". The sense of national disorientation increased when assumptions that Middle Eastern terrorists or Islamists were responsible proved wrong.

Commentators have begun to talk of the attacks as a defining moment for Norway, marking a "loss of innocence". The prime minister, Jens Stoltenberg, said he was determined Norway would maintain its liberal and progressive traditions. "It's too early to say how this will change Norwegian society," he said. He added that he hoped Norway could maintain its open and democratic society. "Those who try to scare us shall not win."

wow...

FBD
07-25-2011, 11:22 AM
:roll:

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c60bf53ef0153901eea7a970b-800wi
--------------------------------------------
leftist-corrected....

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c60bf53ef0153901eeb0c970b-800wi

:hand: thankfully caching shows these obvious antics.