PDA

View Full Version : The World’s Oldest Coal Fire Has Been Burning For 6,000 Years

Teh One Who Knocks
12-21-2020, 05:59 PM
Oddity Central

https://i.imgur.com/0oUpQYo.jpg

A coal seam approximately 30 meters under Australia’s Mount Wingen has been burning continuously for approximately 6,000 years, earning the place its famous nickname, Burning Mountain.

Underground coal seam fires are not at all uncommon, in fact it’s estimated that about 1,000 coal seams are burning around the world at any one point. Such fires usually occur in coal-rich but less-developed countries, and are usually put out in a matter of days, a month at most. That’s not always the case though, and India’s Jharia coalfield, which has been burning continuously for over 100 years, is a perfect example. But even this century-old fire pales in comparison with the world’s oldest coal fire, an underground coal seem that has been smoldering for about six millennia.

Burning Mountain is Australia’s only naturally burning coal seam, as well as the world’s oldest coal fire. To the original Aboriginal owners of this land, it’s the fiery tears of a woman long since turned to stone by Biami, the sky god. To early explorers, it showed the obvious signs of volcanic activities, but in reality, it’s a slow-burning seam of coal smoldering about 30 meters underground.

The underground fire of Burning Mountain has been slowly moving southwards, at a rate of about a meter a year, and it is believed that in its entire 6,000-year history, it has covered a distance of about 6.5 kilometers. No one knows exactly how the fire started, but scientists believe it must have been a lightning strike or a bushfire, although Aboriginals’ burning practices could be a cause as well.

CCf1SNInEgK
The slow combustion has caused soil discoloration and an uneven ground surface on Mount Wingen. Vegetation in the area has also been affected by the underground fire, as evidenced by the increasingly bare and barren area as one approaches the smoking vents of Burning Mountain.

Despite the barren look of the area, Burning Mountain has become somewhat of a tourist attraction, with thousands of people flocking to this place to see the world’s oldest continuously burning coal fire. Or at least the smoke caused by it, as the smoldering coals are tens of meters underground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm9UGkH1YQk

Australia’s Burning Mountain shouldn’t be confused with the Burning Mountain festival, a yearly event in which the side of a mountain is literally set on fire.

deebakes
12-22-2020, 04:10 AM
:excellent:

lost in melb.
12-22-2020, 05:20 AM
Wow, how can this be? :shock:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-22-2020, 12:13 PM

It's in your own back yard :slap:

FBD
12-22-2020, 12:32 PM
I want to know how exactly it is they think this has been burning for 6,000 years

Griffin
12-22-2020, 04:17 PM

"Such fires usually occur in coal-rich but less-developed countries," It says so right there in the article. :mrgreen:

lost in melb.
12-22-2020, 04:27 PM
It's in your own back yard :slap:

"Such fires usually occur in coal-rich but less-developed countries," It says so right there in the article. :mrgreen:

6000 years though? Don't believe it [-(

Griffin
12-22-2020, 05:13 PM
I'm still laughing at the "less-developed countries," bit.:lmao:

lost in melb.
12-22-2020, 05:33 PM
I'm still laughing at the "less-developed countries," bit.:lmao:

I pretended not to see that [-(

Godfather
12-23-2020, 06:59 AM
I want to know how exactly it is they think this has been burning for 6,000 years

But how did this coal seam get ignited and for how long has it been burning? It has been estimated that the burning front has been moving southward at a rate of approximately one metre (more than 3 feet) every year and has moved about 6,000 metres (nearly 4 miles) to its present position.12 Thus, if the coal has burned in the past at the current rate, then the fire started probably at most about 6,000 years ago. Even allowing for variations in the rate, the evidence certainly indicates that it has been burning for a few thousand years, not millions.

Seems like the first archeological notes of the burn rate were about 170 years ago and have been roughly steady with seasonal variations (although I wonder how much seasonal variation there is, given it's burning 30m below the surface anyways?)

DemonGeminiX
12-23-2020, 07:52 AM
Damn polluters. That's 6000 years that Australia's been putting greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. Global warming's all Australia's fault, you selfish, polluting jerks.

[-(

DemonGeminiX
12-23-2020, 11:00 AM
Damn polluters. That's 6000 years that Australia's been putting greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. Global warming's all Australia's fault, you selfish, polluting jerks.

[-(

:-s

Seriously? How did no one else think to post this before me?

lost in melb.
12-23-2020, 11:56 AM

[-(

We have the cleanest coal in the world :hand:

lost in melb.
12-23-2020, 11:57 AM
:-s

Seriously? How did no one else think to post this before me?

:disapproval:

DemonGeminiX
12-23-2020, 12:34 PM
:disapproval:

It was funny. [-(

FBD
12-23-2020, 12:53 PM
We have the cleanest coal in the world :hand:

:lol: now all of a sudden coal is clean?

Teh One Who Knocks
12-23-2020, 12:55 PM
:lol: now all of a sudden coal is clean?

It is if you wash it :-k

DemonGeminiX
12-23-2020, 01:27 PM
It is if you wash it :-k

And use soap. :tup:

Griffin
12-23-2020, 01:59 PM
https://pisces.bbystatic.com/image2/BestBuy_US/images/products/6385/6385560_rd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550