PDA

View Full Version : McConnell implores Trump not to veto defense bill, prepares override effort

Teh One Who Knocks
12-22-2020, 12:25 PM
By Edmund DeMarche | Fox News

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell remained on the Senate floor into the wee small hours of the morning Tuesday-- long after the Senate passed the $900 billion pandemic relief package—and urged President Trump not to make good on his threat to veto the defense spending bill, but prepared the Senate's response.

Earlier this month, the GOP-controlled Senate approved the $740 billion national defense bill despite Trump’s veto threat. Trump wants any National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) to include the repeal of Section 230 of the 1996 Communications Decency Act.
The law provides legal protection for Big Tech companies. Trump has called the law a "serious threat to our "National Security & Election Integrity."

Trump’s position on the veto threatens to divide Republicans in the Senate. The final vote in the Senate was 84-13, well beyond the two-thirds requirement to override a potential veto if Trump carried through on his threat to sink the legislation.
McConnell set up a veto override effort on Dec. 29 in the event that Trump makes good on his threat, Fox News’ Chad Pergram tweeted early Tuesday.

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., has voiced his concerns with the bill's language concerning future U.S. troop withdrawals from Afghanistan.

Paul said he is concerned that the measure on troop deployment "creates 535 commanders-in-chief in Congress" and hampers the president’s ability to deploy troops as he sees fit.

"I very much am opposed to the Afghan war, and I’ve told them I’ll come back to try to prevent them from easily overriding the president’s veto," Paul told reporters on Monday, according to the Hill.

Democrats support the measure because they oppose Trump, Paul said earlier, but the amendment would also apply to future presidents, including President-elect Joe Biden.

South Dakota Sen. John Thune, the No. 2 Senate Republican, said that there is no clear path forward in the event of a Trump veto. Paul is objecting to "establishing "pro forma sessions," which makes the potential override more difficult.

Craig Caplan, a producer for CSPAN, tweeted that McConnell talked about the override and Paul was "seated on the Senate Floor but did not object to the unanimous consent on NDAA."
"The Democrat Leader [Sen. Charles Schumer] and I have agreed to unanimous request as follows: the Senate will meet for pro forma sessions only until Dec. 29 when we will return to session," McConnell said, according to Caplan.

He continued, "In the event the President has vetoed the bill and the House has voted to override the veto (Dec. 28), the Senate would have the opportunity to process the veto override at the time."

FBD
12-22-2020, 12:31 PM
Line item veto is an absolute must, its the only thing that will ever streamline bills that are put forth so that there isnt an absolute shit ton of unrelated garbage in it

Griffin
12-22-2020, 02:19 PM
McConnell doesn't want to lose his big Tech paycheck/bribes.

lost in melb.
12-22-2020, 02:31 PM
McConnell doesn't want to lose his big Tech paycheck/bribes.

Hey, I thought Mitch was on your side! :-s

FBD
12-22-2020, 02:32 PM
How many times have we told you there's republican traitors also? Do you think Kemp is somehow the only one that paid dominion for his victories?

lost in melb.
12-22-2020, 02:41 PM
How many times have we told you there's republican traitors also? Do you think Kemp is somehow the only one that paid dominion for his victories?

It's probably obvious to everyone but you, but I'm just making conversation with Griff.

Asking a question doesn't always mean "I don't know stuff and I need Fbd to set me straight"

FBD
12-22-2020, 02:44 PM
but the truth will set you free :razz:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-22-2020, 03:00 PM

Personally, I like the way he runs the senate.

Griffin
12-22-2020, 04:05 PM

The president shouldn't have to use leverage to repeal Section 230. Big tech is using it as a shield to promote their own agenda and shouldn't be allowed that protection.
Any one in Washington voting to keep big tech in power is doing so for personal gain.

lost in melb.
12-22-2020, 04:34 PM
Ok, I read more. It's about Trumps beef with Twitter - nothing to do with national security. And you say Nancy Pelosi is bad.

“Repealing Section 230 is itself a threat to national security,” Internet Association Interim President and CEO Jon Berroya said in a statement. “The law empowers online platforms to remove harmful and dangerous content, including terrorist content and misinformation.”

He must know after Jan 20th Twitter are going to come down hard on his b.s. Too bad!

FBD
12-22-2020, 05:03 PM
cmon, you're well aware of how bendy & stretchy the term "national security" is. I wouldnt even have to put my ankles on top of my thighs for it :razz:

The Monk
12-23-2020, 03:11 AM
It's all the world against Trump.. He is the only sane one.

.....and I should be shot for saying that even sarcastically! :lol:

FBD
12-23-2020, 12:52 PM
It's all the world against Trump.. He is the only sane one.

.....and I should be shot for saying that even sarcastically! :lol:

/posts picture of trump with all the military generals surrounding him

:D