PDA

View Full Version : Brussels police arrest more than 100 at protest over Black man’s death

Teh One Who Knocks
01-14-2021, 02:01 PM
The Associated Press

https://i.imgur.com/BikoauN.jpg

BRUSSELS — Police in Belgium arrested 116 people after a protest over the death of a young Black man who collapsed in police custody turned violent.
Police said most of the violence took place after a largely peaceful demonstration Wednesday of about 500 protesters, some holding Black Lives Matter signs, ended in downtown Brussels.

“A group of demonstrators (50-100 people) remained on the spot and caused various incidents,” police said in a statement, adding that several officers were injured in clashes.

According to the statement, protesters threw projectiles, set fires and damaged street furniture and police vehicles. They also smashed a window and a door at a police station. In all, 116 people were arrested, including 30 minors, and one protester was tended to by ambulance services, police said.

“Justice must bring to court those who have vandalized and have injured five policemen, including a policewoman who is hospitalized,” federal police Capt. Marc De Mesmaeker told broadcaster RTBF on Thursday. “This must be done with care, just as the other aspect of the event, the tragic death of Ibrahima, must be treated with care.”

Belgian prosecutors have requested that an investigative judge be appointed following the death of a 23-year-old Black man identified by authorities only as I.B. The prosecutor’s office said he was arrested Saturday after he allegedly tried to run away from police who were checking people gathered in the city center despite COVID-19 restrictions on social gatherings.

In this June 10, 2020, photo, a statue of Belgium's King Leopold II is smeared with paint and graffiti in the center of Brussels. With the protests sweeping the world in the wake of the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis, King Leopold II, who reigned from 1865 to 1909, is now increasingly seen as a stain on the nation. (AP Photo/Virginia Mayo)

He was taken to a police station, where he fainted, and then was transferred to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead, the prosecutor’s office said.

The office said Belgium’s Comité P, an independent body that oversees police, is investigating, and a coroner has been appointed to perform an autopsy as well as toxicology tests. Belgian media reported that the man had started to record the police with his phone when officers decided to carry out an ID check on him.

The prosecutor’s office said it has seized video surveillance images, both from the police station and at the scene of the man’s arrest.

lost in melb.
01-14-2021, 02:03 PM
Blacks in Brussels? I never knew

DemonGeminiX
01-14-2021, 02:16 PM
They're being sensible about it all. Some of our cities should take notes.

lost in melb.
01-14-2021, 02:38 PM
They're being sensible about it all. Some of our cities should take notes.

I agree. Nowhere on earth have they put up with that bullshit more than in the US.

FBD
01-14-2021, 02:42 PM
I agree. Nowhere on earth have they put up with that bullshit more than in the US.

nowhere on earth has the police been told to stand down while rioters burn the fkn city

lost in melb.
01-14-2021, 02:46 PM
nowhere on earth has the police been told to stand down while rioters burn the fkn city

You can characterize it however you like. I won't stop you

FBD
01-14-2021, 03:07 PM

:shrug: just callin balls & strikes, the folks in the stands didnt like it when Casey struck out either

DemonGeminiX
01-15-2021, 05:16 AM

No, he's right. Seriously, the mayors of several cities have ordered the police to stand down when the worst of the "protests" were going on. That's how Seattle got the CHOP zone that effectively closed down a city block including a police precinct. That's why the kid arrested in Michigan for murder actually got into trouble in the first place, because the cops weren't there to stop the rioters. If the police were allowed to do their jobs, none of any of this crap would ever have happened.