PDA

View Full Version : Dems to introduce plan to erase $50,000 of student debt

Teh One Who Knocks
02-04-2021, 12:48 PM
By Caitlin McFall - Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/c4Rl0k4l.jpg

Democrats in the House and Senate are planning to introduce a resolution Thursday, calling on President Biden to use executive action to remove $50,000 of federal student loan debt – though Biden’s response to such a demand remains dubious.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer of New York will hold a press conference Thursday morning to announce the initiative alongside Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., who has been vocal in calling on the Biden administration to take action.

“Canceling student loan debt would immediately put money in the pockets of millions of Americans. It would help dig our economy out of this crisis,” Warren said in a tweet earlier this week. “And we don’t have to wait for Congress: the Biden-Harris administration can get it done with their executive authority,” she added.

Democratic Representatives Mondaire Jones of New York, Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts, Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, and Alma Adams of North Carolina have thrown their support behind the resolution and will be present during the Thursday presser.

But the president’s response to the resolution remains unclear. While Biden has repeatedly said he supports student debt relief, he has disagreed with Democratic lawmaker’s calling for executive action.

The president has said he supports the elimination of $10,000 of federal student loan debt, but he has also called on Congress to address legislation on loan forgiveness.

“It’s arguable that the president may have the executive power to forgive up to $50,000 in student debt,” Biden told the Washington Post in December. “Well, I think that’s pretty questionable.”

The University of Delaware graduate, class of 1965 added about using the executive order, “I’m unsure of that. I’d be unlikely to do that.”

The calls to eliminate crippling student debt first hit the political arena a decade ago, when students frustrated with their inability to cope with spiking university loans took to the streets to protest under the Occupy Wall Street movement.

But Sen. Bernie Sanders, D-Vt., and Warren brought back its urgency by running on the issue in their 2020 presidential campaigns – and Warren, despite dropping her candidacy, has not let the idea go.

Warren, a former professor on bankruptcy law, and Schumer drew up a resolution in September, calling on the next administration to cancel up to $50,000 of federal student debt without the need for congressional approval, by utilizing the 1965 Higher Education Act.

Biden has already signed nearly 30 executive orders, including placing a pause on student loan payments in light of the coronavirus pandemic – which suggests if the president wanted to utilize executive action in canceling a portion of federal student loans owed, he would have done so.

While Biden has made it clear he will not wait for bipartisan support on his $1.9 trillion stimulus package for coronavirus-related economic relief, he has not voiced the same determination in pushing through other fiscal policies.

Warren on Wednesday pressed Biden’s pick for secretary of education on the school loan issue. She asked Miguel Cardona during his confirmation hearing to commit to providing “immediate relief” for student debt borrowers and told the former Connecticut school principal, "One route that I'm going to continue to urge you to take is administrative cancellation of student loan debt. The law in this is clear."

The two-term senator reminded Cardona, “Majority Leader Schumer and I have outlined how you and President Biden can immediately cancel $50,000 in student loan debt.”

For his part, Cardona agreed that student loan debt has a "significant impact" on borrowers' lives and while he did state that the federal government should provide "borrowers with immediate relief," he did not offer any specifics on how to accomplish that goal.

Roughly 44 million Americans, or one in six people in the U.S., have debt in the form of federal student loans – a staggering $1.6 trillion worth of student debt.

Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell said student debt in the U.S. negatively impacts an American's entire “economic life.”

Fox News could not immediately reach Senators Schumer or Warren for comment.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-04-2021, 12:49 PM
I will be ALL KINDS of pissed if they pass this.

DemonGeminiX
02-04-2021, 01:09 PM
I will be ALL KINDS of pissed if they pass this.

Yeah, me too.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-04-2021, 04:14 PM
:facepalm:

deebakes
02-05-2021, 01:59 AM
i need to rack up some new debt :-k

perrhaps
02-05-2021, 10:09 AM
If it's going to end up being free, maybe I should enroll in Charm School.

lost in melb.
02-05-2021, 11:11 AM
Ridiculous! And unnecessary. have the loan repayment geared to their income and it will gradually be paid off. that's what we're doing in Australia. Every cent is paid without undue hardship

perrhaps
02-06-2021, 03:40 AM
Ridiculous! And unnecessary. have the loan repayment geared to their income and it will gradually be paid off. that's what we're doing in Australia. Every cent is paid without undue hardship

Here's our problem. Somehow, a segment of our society has convinced itself that it's perfectly acceptable to run up hundreds of thousand dollars in student loans to attend liberal arts colleges and obtain an undergraduate degree in a field of study that has little, if any, value in achieving gainful employment above the level of Apprentice Barista.

I don't want to fall into the old " I walked to school three miles every day..." bullshit, but I worked in the campus dishroom for two years before I became a TA to avoid the student loan trap as an undergraduate, and I tended bar @30 hours/ week while obtaining my Law Degree. If then was now, why should I be penalized for not sitting on my ass and running up my student loan(s)?

Just so unfair on so many levels, and totally contrary to the work ethic needed to succeed in the real world...

lost in melb.
02-06-2021, 11:23 AM
Here's our problem. Somehow, a segment of our society has convinced itself that it's perfectly acceptable to run up hundreds of thousand dollars in student loans to attend liberal arts colleges and obtain an undergraduate degree in a field of study that has little, if any, value in achieving gainful employment above the level of Apprentice Barista.

I don't want to fall into the old " I walked to school three miles every day..." bullshit, but I worked in the campus dishroom for two years before I became a TA to avoid the student loan trap as an undergraduate, and I tended bar @30 hours/ week while obtaining my Law Degree. If then was now, why should I be penalized for not sitting on my ass and running up my student loan(s)?

Just so unfair on so many levels, and totally contrary to the work ethic needed to succeed in the real world...

that's formidable. I don't think I would have been able to work those hours while I did my degree. and I think many , even those that could be potentially good students would fold under that kind of pressure. It's a little unfair but I'm just going to say I think the younger generation should have it easier. It's called societal progress. It doesn't mean a shoe-in with red carpet. but having to pay for your degree as you go along and earn full living in the process, that's a little hard I think.

P.s.. no liberal arts degree should cost hundreds of thousands of dollars!

KevinD
02-06-2021, 02:12 PM
Ps, I took some small loans. Iirc, around 10k total, to get my associates degree. I never went back to further my degree. It so happened that what I was learning became a lucrative career. (Electronic Engineering) I went to school 4hrs a night, maintained a full time job working 60+hrs a week. Lived on my own (with a roommate) Still found time to study and party.
Do NOT tell me its too hard. There's such a thing as too much coddling. Lost, I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this. It should be hard (not impossible) thats part of the whole "worth it" part of life. It part of learning to set and achieve goals to better advance yourself.
You don't learn that if things are given to you.

lost in melb.
02-06-2021, 02:36 PM
Ok, so I don't doubt that it was difficult.

But it depends how far you want to go. To get into my masters degree ( needed to be an Ed & Dev Psych.) with scholarship I had to get an A average for my degree and honours year. I don't think that would have been possible if I was working more than Friday night and Saturdays. That saved me at least 80k

Teh One Who Knocks
02-06-2021, 03:51 PM
Nobody is forcing these kids to go to college. And like perrhaps said, a good chunk of these kids are going to liberal arts schools and spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on degrees that are absolutely worthless in the real world. Why should we the taxpayers be on the hook for their stupid life choices? Why should people like perrhaps and Kevin be "penalized" for doing it the right way and going to school for degrees that are actually worth something and paying for their education themselves? Why should these people get a free handout because they were idiots? Is the government going to "eliminate" some of my mortgage since I don't have any student debt?

If you choose to go to school and major in Lesbian and Gender Queer Dance Theory and you run up $180K in student debt and the only job you can get is at Starbucks, then that's on them, not me or any other taxpayer. If these stupid kids want to go get some woke degree, then that's fine, but they need to pay for it themselves.

KevinD
02-06-2021, 08:32 PM
Lost, I get your point, I do. I expect you'll pay your loans back. Kudos you degree!
There are ways to pay for higher education without rack up those astronomical loans. Perhaps not go to a top tier (ivy league) university. There are grants for those that qualify. Is it still hard? Yep. Some prime real examples:
Old HS gf: parents couldn't afford to send her to college. She was valedictorian, so qualified for grants. She worked 3 jobs full time for 6 months, then full time college for 6 months (while still working one job full time. She did this for 10 years. Didnt owe a dime.
Niece 1: took her basic college level stuff while still in HS. Her parents paid out of pocket, state (us taxpayers) paid the rest. After HS, she has 2 jobs and is taking classes to finish her degree. Again, no loans.
Niece 2 (same parents) joined the military and is currently reservist, so the military is paying most of her costs. She works full time to afford the rest.
My daughter: did all her basics at a junior college, which I paid for out of pocket. She'll work to pay for the rest, and I'll help.
The point is not everyone needs to go to college. Trades should be taught is schools again. I have zero desire to help those like Lance described. Tell me again how thats "fair"
I'll wait.

KevinD
02-06-2021, 08:35 PM
Oh, and let's not even get into one of the main reasons collocation so much (at least in the US)
Wouldn't have anything all to do with everyone qualifying for government loans, with almost no questions asked. Its very similar to the housing loans a few years back.

deebakes
02-07-2021, 12:34 AM
i've got a junior in high school now, so we are talking about what college might look like for him (pretty uncertain actually). there are so many ways to get money off the tuition at many universities/colleges, but a lot of people don't take advantage of it. i had a great scholarship for my undergraduate (due to gpa and ACT score at the time) that took money off for all 4 years of my degree. i also worked two jobs (ta of science lab and av tech at the school conference center). my parents insisted that i take out some loans to get used to 'paying them off' after i finished. i ended up taking a total of $633 in loans :lol: my first full time paycheck (hired before i graduated) was used to pay off all my loans. i then got my phd while working a full time job and having kids, so i don't have a ton of empathy for this generation and their entitlement and constantly open hands looking for a handout

DemonGeminiX
02-07-2021, 03:56 AM
I tutored for money in college, but pretty much had everything covered by scholarships and grants. The extra cash was nice though. It's funny because my HS valedictorian got one scholarship throughout her tenure in college and had to work and I got 5 different ones (not all at the same time) and I wasn't even top 20 in my HS graduating class (I didn't give a shit back then). She was a little jealous. Anyway, it was always kind of stressful waiting for the money on the current scholarship to run out, but just at the last minute, something else popped up to take it's place. My last year and a half, I was awarded a National Science Foundation grant that was pretty much a full free ride because I got my GPA up above 3.75 out of 4 and kept it above 3.5 for the rest of my collegiate career. It makes me wonder what I would have gotten if I had a 4.0 throughout college.

None of my scholarships and grants had anything to do with my disability though. There weren't any scholarships for paras back in the day. All the disability scholarships and grants were for the blind. Everything I got was because of performance or pure dumb luck.

I know people that didn't get a whole lot of anything and had to work through college and are doing amazing now, so there's something to be said for working and building experience while going to college.

deebakes
02-07-2021, 04:21 PM
i look at my best friend since kindergarten and see how having parents that support their kids too much can end up being detrimental to the in the long run. his sister (4 years older than him and the same age as my older brother) was a type a over-achiever and went to princeton and is still doing really well for herself. my buddy went to the same college i did, was on and off academic probation because he never went to class (he never worked in college either), took 6 years to graduate, works now in the bay area with adult cam girl sites writing code or something. his dad was an orthopedic surgeon, so everything was always taken care of financially, regardless of how shitty he was doing. i worry that the support that the dems are proposing would help people like this that i saw as lazy that don't have a cash cow they are strapped to :shrug:

FBD
02-07-2021, 05:45 PM
Oh, and let's not even get into one of the main reasons collocation so much (at least in the US)
Wouldn't have anything all to do with everyone qualifying for government loans, with almost no questions asked. Its very similar to the housing loans a few years back.

absolutely this. the explosion in costs came as a result of the unconstitutional government backstop, wherein the universities then began expanding their administrative staff like mad, building like mad, and otherwise being absolutely profligate spenders.

lost in melb.
02-07-2021, 08:09 PM
Same as healthcare in US?

Frankly we don't do that stuff here. Americans :roll:

FBD
02-08-2021, 03:37 AM
Same as healthcare in US?

Frankly we don't do that stuff here. Americans :roll:

:hand: you're already disarmed

lost in melb.
02-08-2021, 09:31 AM
We don't have a "screw the system" mentality

FBD
02-08-2021, 01:31 PM
conquered and subdued peoples dont usually have it :razz:

KevinD
02-08-2021, 01:32 PM
We don't have a "screw the system" mentality

Well, that's basically been our motto since just before they made tea in Boston...Soo