PDA

View Full Version : We just had the deadliest week of avalanches in more than a century

Teh One Who Knocks
02-09-2021, 12:17 PM
Joseph Guzman - The Hill

https://i.imgur.com/LA1DTcz.png

The U.S. just saw the deadliest week for avalanches in more than 100 years.

At least 15 people were killed in avalanches from Jan. 31 to Feb. 6 in Utah, Montana, Colorado, California, Arkansas and New Hampshire, according to the Colorado Avalanche Information Center (CAIC). In total, 21 people have died in avalanches across the country during the 2020-2021 season as of Monday. Last season, a total of 23 people died in avalanches and the U.S. typically sees an average of 27 deaths each year.

Last week’s grim death total was the most in a seven-day period since March of 1910, when an avalanche swept away two trains in Wellington, Wash. and killed 96 people.

On Saturday, four skiers were killed in the backcountry of Utah’s Millcreek Canyon areas and four others were injured in a skier-triggered avalanche that occurred at an elevation of just under 10,000 feet. The fatalities tied for the highest-known death toll for an avalanche in Utah. An avalanche near Moab’s Gold Basin killed four people in 1992.

In Colorado, more than 500 avalanches have been reported since Jan. 30. One skier was killed on Thursday while skiing in Colorado’s East Vail Chutes. On Feb. 1, four backcountry skiers were buried southeast of Opihr, in an area known as The Nose. Three men were killed and one was rescued.

Ethan Greene, director of the CAIC, said early season snowfall followed by drought — and very little snow — created unstable accumulations of packed snow.

“Every time we get another snow or wind event and we put more weight on the snowpack, we get avalanches,” Greene told The Denver Channel.

“And just because that underlying weak layer — the snow that fell in October — is now really, really weak, those avalanches are both very easy to trigger and they’re also breaking very wide across terrain features,” Greene told the outlet.

Greene also said he suspects the COVID-19 pandemic could be driving more people to engage in recreation outdoors, however, there’s no definite link between that and the increase in deaths.

lost in melb.
02-09-2021, 12:41 PM
:hills:

FBD
02-09-2021, 01:32 PM
not surprising at all. maybe it would be surprising to people who believe in the co2 fallacy, but anyone who has their head on straight regarding the climate has been expecting this

Teh One Who Knocks
02-09-2021, 01:46 PM
The state here is CONSTANTLY warning people to stay out of the back country because of the severe danger from avalanches. Yet these morons still insist on going out into the back country and skiing/snowboarding/snowmobiling. I have no sympathy at all for any of the morons that get themselves killed. Who I do feel bad for are the search and rescue crews that need to always go out and try and save these idiots.

The Monk
02-15-2021, 02:51 AM
Maybe Biden is to blame :?: :lol:

Godfather
02-15-2021, 06:23 AM
Another death up here this weekend too. Really dangerous in the back-country right now. I honestly don't get it, grew up snowboarding my whole life but have never felt the need to duck the ropes. Especially in places like BC and Colorado where we're absolutely spoiled with incredible in-bounds terrain, why do you need to go and risk your life?

perrhaps
02-15-2021, 10:39 AM
:hills:

Wouldn't "run away from the hills" be more appropriate?

Teh One Who Knocks
02-15-2021, 11:20 AM
2 more avalanche deaths in Colorado over the weekend.

FBD
02-15-2021, 01:00 PM
Another death up here this weekend too. Really dangerous in the back-country right now. I honestly don't get it, grew up snowboarding my whole life but have never felt the need to duck the ropes. Especially in places like BC and Colorado where we're absolutely spoiled with incredible in-bounds terrain, why do you need to go and risk your life?

in the east....back in the day at least...you basically had to duck ropes to go ski anything good

lost in melb.
02-16-2021, 11:31 AM
in the east....back in the day at least...you basically had to duck ropes to go ski anything good

Off-piste - beautiful. Just don't ski on or under something crazy steep :dunno:

FBD
02-16-2021, 11:53 AM
Off-piste - beautiful. Just don't ski on or under something crazy steep :dunno:

I hiked to the top of mt Mansfield in VT and jumped off the peak :dance: (but that's legit to do, nobody stops you from going up there even though its not technically ski area)

lost in melb.
02-17-2021, 01:59 AM
I hiked to the top of mt Mansfield in VT and jumped off the peak :dance: (but that's legit to do, nobody stops you from going up there even though its not technically ski area)

nice. was it winter?

https://www.ytravelblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/mount-mansfield-stowe-vermont-10.jpg

FBD
02-17-2021, 12:22 PM
nice. was it winter?

when I jumped off, hell yeah :lol: I've probably been up there 15 times or more, mostly in the summer time. most of the winter times, forget about going up there....but that one weekend in 94 was absolutely beautiful and clear up there, it was fun as hell, wish I got to do that more than once.

lost in melb.
02-17-2021, 12:33 PM
Good stuff. Remind me a little bit of Mount feathertop. Second highest mountain in my state.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTB54GwfiKJrZmG9XpOCR-O2QZ3TZf-2rGRcw&usqp=CAU

Godfather
02-18-2021, 08:23 AM

I get that, I've seen the 'mountains' they have in Ontario. I'd duck the ropes too :lol: Probably more risk of getting killed by an errant tobogan than an avalanche on those hills.