PDA

View Full Version : An Irish Soldier describes World War One, 1988

Godfather
02-10-2021, 04:54 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWnc-ZlIo5s

The Monk
02-13-2021, 08:22 AM
Interesting old bloke... :thumbsup:

Despite Ireland wanting to get rid of the British and staging an uprising in 1916, many Irishmen joined the British Army. Same in WWII long after Ireland achieved a partitioned independence in 1921.

However in WWII the IRA and many others were Nazi Collaborators inviting Hitler to invade Ireland.

Godfather
02-13-2021, 08:59 AM
Interesting old bloke... :thumbsup:

Despite Ireland wanting to get rid of the British and staging an uprising in 1916, many Irishmen joined the British Army. Same in WWII long after Ireland achieved a partitioned independence in 1921.

However in WWII the IRA and many others were Nazi Collaborators inviting Hitler to invade Ireland.

Interesting, TIL. I've been curious about Ireland during WWII but never read much about it. I'll have to find a book or something.

The Monk
02-15-2021, 02:46 AM
Interesting, TIL. I've been curious about Ireland during WWII but never read much about it. I'll have to find a book or something.

I visited there on the 100th anniversary of the Easter Uprising and picked up a lot of history.

Also, if you can find it, there is an old History Channel documentary on Nazi Collaborators and one episode dedicated to the IRA.