PDA

View Full Version : Female high school band director, 29, 'had sex with her teen boy student,' could face up to 20 years in prison

Teh One Who Knocks
02-12-2021, 01:23 PM
By Carol Robinson | AL.com

https://i.imgur.com/onwjGmLl.jpg

The band director at Chilton County High School is behind bars, accused of having an inappropriate relationship with a male student.

Ashlee Elizabeth Steinman, 29, was arrested Tuesday on two felony charges - a school employee engaging in a sex act with a student and using her official position to gain access to the student and carryout the illegal relationship, according to CJ Robinson, chief deputy district attorney of the 19th Judicial Circuit, which includes Chilton County.

The investigation began when Clanton police received a report of the possible relationship between Steinman and the 18-year-old student, Robinson said. Details about the alleged relationship have not been made public.

Steinman was booked into the Chilton County Jail Tuesday and remained held without bond Wednesday morning. She does not yet have an attorney to speak on her behalf.

Robinson said the investigation is ongoing. “We go where the evidence takes us, but we are very early in the process,’' he said. “If the investigation reveals probable cause for more charges or, heaven forbid, additional victims, then we are ready to act.”

The charge of an employee engaging in a sex act with a student is a Class B felony with a range of punishment of two to 20 years.

According to the school’s website, Steinman has been the band director at Chilton County since 2017. She was previously a graduate teaching assistant at Troy University and a substitute teacher at Alexander City Schools in 2015. She is a graduate of Russell County High School and Troy University where she obtained her master’s degree in music education.

A court date for Steinman has not yet been set. Authorities are asking anyone with information about the ongoing investigation to contact Det. David Kline with the Clanton Police Department directly at david.kline@clantonpd.org or at 205-755-1194.

Robinson praised the investigators for their diligence and professionalism. “I can’t say enough about the dedication and hard work of the Clanton Police Department and the cooperation of the Chilton County Board of Education,’' he said.

“These are serious offenses and while we pray things like this don’t happen, unfortunately sometimes they do. When the public trust is betrayed, we want to act as swiftly, but as thoroughly as possible,’' he said.

“The investigators on this case have worked tirelessly to uncover the truth. I hope we have found all there is to find. If there are more victims out there, please know that you are not alone and coming forward is the right thing to do,’' Robinson said. “We have so many honorable people in Chilton County who have devoted their lives to being the best teachers they can be. Bringing those who use their position to victimize students to justice is the first step in rebuilding the trust of the community.”

FBD
02-12-2021, 04:37 PM
kid's 18 - 20 years is going a bit far

lost in melb.
02-13-2021, 02:59 AM
He's 18. Is this rule just at schools? What about college?

DemonGeminiX
02-13-2021, 04:24 AM
He's 18. Is this rule just at schools? What about college?

I'm assuming (cause I don't feel like looking it up) that the state has laws against people in positions of power in elementary, middle, and high school getting jiggy with students, regardless of age.

It wouldn't apply to college, since we presume that every student is a consenting adult. Of course there could be exceptions with younger kids getting in early, and that would probably lead to charges of statutory rape. Anyway, I was a student at 3 different colleges, and there was always word about 1 or 2 of the professors hooking up with a student. You may find something like this in most college student handbooks: "While not expressly forbidden, student-teacher relationships are frowned upon." That was similar to what was in the handbook at my first college. It didn't stop anyone. The Director of Student Life was always hooking up with a cute coed (He was a friend of mine, and we always talked about his conquests). I made a play for a cute English professor, but I had no game back when I was 19. I don't recall seeing anything like that in the Georgia Tech student handbook, and I looked because there was a visiting professor that I would have nailed in less than a heartbeat. She was cute, but she wasn't into it because I wasn't a graduate student, despite the fact that I was as old or older than most of the grad students there. It didn't help that I had a different girlfriend every other week until I hooked up with one that I decided to keep around for several months. At my final college, I didn't attempt any hookups, even though I could have, but I was aware of it going on. I don't know what the student handbook said, cause at that point I just didn't give a shit anymore.

FBD
02-13-2021, 02:06 PM
I'm assuming (cause I don't feel like looking it up) that the state has laws against people in positions of power in elementary, middle, and high school getting jiggy with students, regardless of age.

100% this, I just think 20 years for this instance is way out of line, almost as far out of line as the stupid teach fucking her student even if he was already 18

lost in melb.
02-13-2021, 03:31 PM

It wouldn't apply to college, since we presume that every student is a consenting adult. Of course there could be exceptions with younger kids getting in early, and that would probably lead to charges of statutory rape. Anyway, I was a student at 3 different colleges, and there was always word about 1 or 2 of the professors hooking up with a student. You may find something like this in most college student handbooks: "While not expressly forbidden, student-teacher relationships are frowned upon." That was similar to what was in the handbook at my first college. It didn't stop anyone. The Director of Student Life was always hooking up with a cute coed (He was a friend of mine, and we always talked about his conquests). I made a play for a cute English professor, but I had no game back when I was 19. I don't recall seeing anything like that in the Georgia Tech student handbook, and I looked because there was a visiting professor that I would have nailed in less than a heartbeat. She was cute, but she wasn't into it because I wasn't a graduate student, despite the fact that I was as old or older than most of the grad students there. It didn't help that I had a different girlfriend every other week until I hooked up with one that I decided to keep around for several months. At my final college, I didn't attempt any hookups, even though I could have, but I was aware of it going on. I don't know what the student handbook said, cause at that point I just didn't give a shit anymore.

Ha, good for them and you. I was too shit-scared at Uni. (Well, at the beginning at least). You know the saying:" don't shit where you eat" :)

DemonGeminiX
02-13-2021, 07:32 PM
Ha, good for them and you. I was too shit-scared at Uni. (Well, at the beginning at least). You know the saying:" don't shit where you eat" :)

To be fair, I was never in any danger of taking any classes that the cutie at Georgia Tech was teaching. Different departments. So it wouldn't have mattered if we did hook up, unless she turned out to be a psycho.

RBP
02-13-2021, 09:11 PM
To be fair, I was never in any danger of taking any classes that the cutie at Georgia Tech was teaching. Different departments. So it wouldn't have mattered if we did hook up, unless she turned out to be a psycho.

They are all psycho.

KevinD
02-13-2021, 10:26 PM
In night school college, I was with the head of HR, and 2 of the student aids. Never had any teachers in HS I would have even thought about.