PDA

View Full Version : Hundreds of coffins plummet into the sea after landslide at Italian cemetery

Teh One Who Knocks
02-24-2021, 01:00 PM
By Jack Hobbs - New York Post

https://i.imgur.com/hYO5FNJ.jpg

More than 200 coffins plummeted into the sea when the cliff near a cemetery in coastal Italy collapsed, according to reports.

Workers at Camogli Cemetery, which was built over 100 years ago near the coast of Genoa, first noticed a crack along the cemetery wall on Saturday during some routine maintenance, according to Francesco Olivari, the mayor of Camogli.

“Some signs of fissures were seen. We decided to close the cemetery,” Olivari told CNN.

The 200 coffins were sent into the sea when the cliff collapsed on Monday.

Crews have recovered 10 of the coffins. At least 190 were unaccounted for on Tuesday.

Finding the remaining coffins “will depend on the sea in the coming days,” according to the Regional Assessor of Civil Protection, Giacomo Giampedrone.

As of Monday, Giampedrone said that the port authority has blocked the coastal area near the cemetery to prevent any coffins from floating out to sea.

“This type of collapse that happened today is very hard to detect or to predict,” Olivari said. “This area is subject to this type of collapse — it’s very fragile.”

The Office of Civil Protection in Liguria was called in to assess the situation and see if there was still any further potential of landslides as well as understand the true extent of the damage.

The mayor called this incident an “unimaginable catastrophe.”

FBD
02-24-2021, 01:27 PM
well, I'm glad my grandparents arent buried on the side of a cliff

deebakes
02-25-2021, 04:55 AM
it happens :shrug:

Godfather
02-25-2021, 06:51 AM
Kinda badass actually :lol: If my coffin goes plummeting down a cliff, that's way cooler than being turned into worm poop.

lost in melb.
02-25-2021, 11:06 AM
Oh boy! :doh:

FBD
02-25-2021, 11:49 AM
:lol: if a coffin is necessary, then I failed

PorkChopSandwiches
02-25-2021, 04:17 PM
#cremation

The Monk
03-02-2021, 02:09 AM
No mention of how many survived! :lol: