PDA

View Full Version : Employed persons by detailed occupation, sex, race, and Hispanic or Latino ethnicity

RBP
03-04-2021, 01:23 AM
This is fascinating data...

Employed persons by detailed occupation, sex, race, and Hispanic or Latino ethnicity
https://www.bls.gov/cps/cpsaat11.htm

Summary with percentage female workers as defined by BLS
Management 44.6%
Business and Financial 53.9%
Computer and Math 25.2%
Architecture and engineering 16.5%
Life, physical, and social science 49.3%
Community and social service 68.8%
Legal 51.9%
Education, training, library 73.5%
Arts, entertainment, sports, media 51.3%
Healthcare 74.4%
Healthcare support 85.3%
Protective services 23.6%
Food prep 54.4%
Building, grounds, maintenance 40.3%
Personal care and service 77%
Sales and related 48.7%
Office and Admin 72.7%
Farming, fishing, forestry 24.1%
Construction and extraction 4%
Installation, maintenance, repair 4.1%
Production 28.1%
Transportation and material moving 20.5%

Discuss.... more detailed breakdown in the link.

DemonGeminiX
03-04-2021, 01:33 AM
[-(

They should all get back in the kitchen.

8-[

lost in melb.
03-04-2021, 10:28 AM
Wow, look at psychology :shock:

it's tricky to properly compare races, because it's not as a percentage of the individual race

Teh One Who Knocks
03-04-2021, 11:16 AM
It just goes to prove....girls aren't good at math.

FBD
03-04-2021, 12:08 PM

Architecture and engineering 16.5%

Teh One Who Knocks
03-04-2021, 12:11 PM

They want to be treated equally, but they don't want to do the yucky jobs :hand:

RBP
03-04-2021, 11:41 PM
Wow, look at psychology :shock:

it's tricky to properly compare races, because it's not as a percentage of the individual race

That's what got me down that path. The APA numbers tell more. The average male is over 10 years older than the average female with a doctorate. The chart keeps skewing faster because the dinosaurs are retiring.

There's almost no men entering the field. Try and find a male at a private practice. Not easy.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-05-2021, 12:27 AM
That's what got me down that path. The APA numbers tell more. The average male is over 10 years older than the average female with a doctorate. The chart keeps skewing faster because the dinosaurs are retiring.

There's almost no men entering the field. Try and find a male at a private practice. Not easy.Did Bob Newhart retire from his practice? :-k

RBP
03-05-2021, 12:28 AM
Did Bob Newhart retire from his practice? :-k

In 1974

Teh One Who Knocks
03-05-2021, 12:29 AM
In 1974Awwwww :sad2:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-05-2021, 12:39 PM

There's almost no men entering the field. Try and find a male at a private practice. Not easy.

Why do you think that is?

lost in melb.
03-05-2021, 12:40 PM
Why do you think that is?

My $0.02. psychiatry is male-dominated and so women have flooded into psychology

Teh One Who Knocks
03-05-2021, 12:43 PM
My $0.02. psychiatry is male-dominated and so women have flooded into psychology

Psychiatry is the one where you are a doctor, correct? And psychology is the one that isn't on par with a medical doctor (i.e. psychiatrists can prescribe medication whereas psychologists cannot)?

FBD
03-05-2021, 12:51 PM
Psychiatry is the one where you are a doctor, correct? And psychology is the one that isn't on par with a medical doctor (i.e. psychiatrists can prescribe medication whereas psychologists cannot)?

That's correct

lost in melb.
03-06-2021, 12:56 AM

That's right. also psychiatry focuses on mental illness whereas psychology focuses more broadly on mental wellness

Godfather
03-06-2021, 06:48 AM

I'm not sure that makes sense though. The names sound similar but I really can't picture many people sitting there having a choice between one or the other as career paths. Psychology is something you can get an associate degree in from community college that probably doesn't even make you employable. Psychiatry means you went all the way through a science undergrad and then med school, before being accepted into a 4-5 year residency program to become a board certified physician in psychiatry.

Also maybe psychiatry was male dominated historically, but these days psychiatry residencies are dominated by women by about 2:1, at least in Canada.

lost in melb.
03-06-2021, 07:27 AM
I'm not sure that makes sense though. The names sound similar but I really can't picture many people sitting there having a choice between one or the other as career paths. Psychology is something you can get an associate degree in from community college that probably doesn't even make you employable. Psychiatry means you went all the way through a science undergrad and then med school, before being accepted into a 4-5 year residency program to become a board certified physician in psychiatry.

Also maybe psychiatry was male dominated historically, but these days psychiatry residencies are dominated by women by about 2:1, at least in Canada.

I'm not sure what you mean by "psychology". Do you mean registered APA psychologists? My pathway was 6 years including 3 years post graduate to be a registered psychologist. To be an educational and developmental or clinical psychologist in Australia you must do postgraduate plus an extra year of supervision. However, to call yourself an organisational psychologist, you only need to do 2 or 3 years study after school.

Unfortunately, it can be difficult for a client to separate out how much experience and qualifications differing "psychologists" have.

Godfather
03-06-2021, 07:29 AM
Ah I see, we were indeed talking about very different things. I knee-jerked and thought you just meant the cute girls who minored in psych in college (it's a cliche in Canada) vs clinical psychiatrists, but I understand you were speaking of registered psychologists like yourself, my apologies and I certainly meant no offense to your profession. I am mortified with my comment.

FBD
03-06-2021, 12:33 PM
That's right. also psychiatry focuses on mental illness whereas psychology focuses more broadly on mental wellness

my ex said that she always wanted to work with the schizos until she realized that they're just broken and you basically just have to give them drugs. with normal people, its a more complex nut to crack, in a way

lost in melb.
03-06-2021, 12:54 PM
Ah I see, we were indeed talking about very different things. I knee-jerked and thought you just meant the cute girls who minored in psych in college (it's a cliche in Canada) vs clinical psychiatrists, but I understand you were speaking of registered psychologists like yourself, my apologies and I certainly meant no offense to your profession. I am mortified with my comment.

Psychology is something you can get an associate degree in from community college that probably doesn't even make you employable.

There for eternity :nana:

Seriously though, it's not your fault and I appreciate your second post. Pretty much anyone can lob psychologist in front of their name, so it gets confusing very quickly.

It's the same with Doctor. E.g. My local dentist has Dr. in front of his name. Veterinary surgeons are often called Dr as well. They are not doctors!

RBP
03-06-2021, 03:32 PM

Eh. Psychology was male dominated as well. Men are not seeking that education and career path any more. The pay is so low for mental health therapists. I am not sure if women don't care about the economics or whether the flood of women into social sciences drives the price down. Psychologists are different, but have you seen wage deflation?

RBP
03-06-2021, 03:35 PM
my ex said that she always wanted to work with the schizos until she realized that they're just broken and you basically just have to give them drugs. with normal people, its a more complex nut to crack, in a way

That's what is done; that doesn't make it right. There is room to make progress with those afflicted by schizophrenia. It takes a lot of individual therapy. The fact that they are written off as crazy is a tragedy.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-06-2021, 04:15 PM
Eh. Psychology was male dominated as well. Men are not seeking that education and career path any more. The pay is so low for mental health therapists. I am not sure if women don't care about the economics or whether the flood of women into social sciences drives the price down. Psychologists are different, but have you seen wage deflation?Patriarchal perpetuation of the gender wage gap :hand:

RBP
03-06-2021, 04:54 PM
Patriarchal perpetuation of the gender wage gap :hand:

When I was last in the market, the largest EAP was offering $33,000 to master's level clinicians to work in downtown Chicago on 2nd shift. I literally laughed on the phone. But you know they are filling those jobs.