PDA

View Full Version : Last paycheck from ex-employer shows up as oil-covered pennies

Teh One Who Knocks
03-18-2021, 11:20 AM
By Ben Hooper - UPI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMyE9TgP5JU

March 17 (UPI) -- A Georgia man who was expecting his final paycheck from a former employer said the money instead arrived in the form of 500 pounds of oil-covered pennies dumped in his driveway in the middle of the night.

Andreas Flaten said he submitted his two-weeks notice in writing in November, and Miles Walker, the owner of Walker Luxury Autoworks in Peachtree City, had a noticeable negative reaction.

"He gets up, puts his hands on his head, walks out the door and disappears for like an hour," Flaten recounted to WGCL-TV.

Flaten, who said he left the job due to a toxic work environment, said he was still owed $915, which the owner told him would be delivered in January.

He said the owner accused him of damages when he called to inquire about the check not arriving at his home, so he contacted Georgia's Department of Labor.

Flaten said the money then showed up -- as 500 pounds of oil-covered pennies that were dumped in his driveway in the middle of the night.

Flaten's girlfriend posted a video to Instagram showing the messy pile of pennies when they showed up outside the home.

"I have nowhere to put them. I had no idea what I was going to do like how do I get money from pennies?" Flaten said.

Walker said he couldn't recall if he dumped the pennies at Flaten's house.

"It doesn't matter, he got paid, that's all that matters," Walker said.

Flaten said the pennies are currently being stored in his garage while he works on cleaning them so they can be cashed in.

lost in melb.
03-21-2021, 09:32 AM
Sounds barely legal. Clear malicious intent

RBP
03-21-2021, 04:01 PM
Sounds barely legal. Clear malicious intent

You spelled hilarious wrong.

lost in melb.
03-21-2021, 04:10 PM
You spelled hilarious wrong.

I thought the hilarious part was when he was busy in his garage cleaning them up to cash them in. But in reality if someone did that to me I would probably see red.

Perhaps I am projecting :lol:

RBP
03-21-2021, 07:57 PM
I thought the hilarious part was when he was busy in his garage cleaning them up to cash them in. But in reality if someone did that to me I would probably see red.

Perhaps I am projecting :lol:

I would like to think I would laugh and say "well played".

Teh One Who Knocks
04-02-2021, 12:03 PM
By Jeff Martin - Associated Press

https://i.imgur.com/6ZVFY5W.jpg

MARIETTA, Ga. (AP) — A global company has stepped in to solve quite a “coinundrum” for a Georgia man.

Andreas Flaten’s former employer dumped at least 90,000 pennies on his driveway last month as a form of final payment for his work at an auto shop, he said.

When Bellevue, Washington-based Coinstar heard about his predicament, they decided that change was needed.

They picked up Flaten’s coins on Thursday and rounded up the amount to give him a $1,000 check.

They also made donations to two charities of Flaten’s choosing: two animal shelters.

“Coinstar has been in the coin business for 30 years and we process approximately 41 billion coins annually – so picking up 91,000 pennies was all in a day’s work,” Coinstar CEO Jim Gaherity said in a statement.

Flaten said his former employer — A OK Walker Autoworks in Peachtree City — owed him $915 after he left his job there in November.

He finally got his pay earlier this month in the form of thousands of oil- or grease-covered pennies dumped at the end of his driveway in Fayetteville, Georgia. Atop the pile: an envelope with Flaten’s final paystub and a goodbye note that featured an obscenity.

Flaten had been spending an hour or two every night trying to clean the pennies, which he stored in a wheelbarrow in his garage.

The owner of the shop, Miles Walker, told WGCL-TV that he didn’t know if he did or didn’t drop the pennies off at Flaten’s house.

“I don’t really remember,” Walker said. “It doesn’t matter. He got paid, that’s all that matters.”

lost in melb.
04-02-2021, 01:51 PM
:woot: