PDA

View Full Version : Canada's $645,000 toilet questioned by critics

Teh One Who Knocks
03-24-2021, 10:54 AM
By David Aaro | Fox News

A single public toilet with a $645,000 price tag is causing quite the stink with some Vancouver residents.

The toilet will be placed in the city's Cooper's Park and is funded by the Community Economic Recovery Infrastructure Program, which provides $100 million in funding for similar projects, reports said. The program was created in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

"It’s beyond head-scratching, it’s outrageous," said Liberal jobs critic Todd Stone, according to Canada's Global News. "Why was spending over half a million dollars on a toilet more important than grants for struggling performing arts venues that are barely hanging on?"
Built by a Portland, Oregon-based company, the washroom costs $150,000, according to the Vancouver park board, which oversees Cooper's Park. The company says its toilets are designed to prevent problems commonly experienced with public toilets

"The sleek and modern kiosk discourages crime with graffiti-proof wall panels and open grating," the company says on its website.

The rest of the money will go toward building the services and infrastructure in the area needed for the loo to operate -- including structural pad installation and landscaping, officials said.

Ken Sem, who is planning to run against Mayor Kennedy Stewart in the 2022 election, wondered how a single toilet could cost taxpayers more than a half-a-million dollars.

"You could build a laneway house for less money. It’s crazy," he said, according to the Vancouver Sun.

John Irwin, a Vancouver Park Board commissioner, argued the work will provide jobs for people.

"It will create work for local people and services for local people. So yes, the sticker price for the toilet is high but ... it’s like a tank of toilets, it’s virtually indestructible," he told Global News.

The toilet is expected to be installed by the fall, reports said.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-24-2021, 03:36 PM
:facepalm: your tax dollars at wrok

Teh One Who Knocks
03-24-2021, 03:37 PM
Maybe Godfather can go check it out and give us a review on it?

deebakes
03-24-2021, 03:38 PM
i'm confused, it says $150k for cost...

deebakes
03-24-2021, 03:38 PM
or was i not supposed to read the article?

Teh One Who Knocks
03-24-2021, 03:41 PM

or was i not supposed to read the article?

From another article:

John Irwin, a Vancouver Park Board commissioner, said he is in favour of public toilets and it’s important to note that $150,000 of the allocated funds are for the toilet itself and the remaining amount is for building the services and infrastructure in the area that are needed for the toilet to operate. The pipes and the sewer system have to be installed in the area as Irwin called it an “unserviced part of the city.”

So the toilet cost $150K and the other $400K was for installation.

FBD
03-24-2021, 03:41 PM

did you read all of it :lol: 150 for the toilet, but the land and other assorted bullshit brings what they spent on it up to 645

deebakes
03-24-2021, 03:46 PM
From another article:

So the toilet cost $150K and the other $400K was for installation.

helpful :tup:

did you read all of it :lol: 150 for the toilet, but the land and other assorted bullshit brings what they spent on it up to 645

not as helpful :lol:

FBD
03-24-2021, 03:47 PM
:lol:

the article did say there was no sewer or water where they installed it, so land & infrastructure :dance:

deebakes
03-24-2021, 03:49 PM
i'm used to the blue water in the pit from public toilets

Godfather
03-25-2021, 01:59 AM
Better than the homeless population in that area continuing to shit and piss all over our parks... our local and federal governments don't have the balls or brains to solve the underlying problem so we'll just keep throwing money at the symptoms of the problem rather than the problem itself.