PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Church Membership Dips Below 50% For First Time: Poll

Teh One Who Knocks
03-31-2021, 11:41 AM
By Jon Brown - The Daily Wire

https://i.imgur.com/wYY1lYFl.jpg

The number of Americans who belong to a house of worship has dropped below 50 percent for the first time since polling began, according to a recent study from Gallup.

“Americans’ membership in houses of worship continued to decline last year, dropping below 50% for the first time in Gallup’s eight-decade trend,” the polling group discovered. “In 2020, 47% of Americans said they belonged to a church, synagogue or mosque, down from 50% in 2018 and 70% in 1999.”

“The decline in church membership is primarily a function of the increasing number of Americans who express no religious preference,” Gallup notes in its report. “Over the past two decades, the percentage of Americans who do not identify with any religion has grown from 8% in 1998-2000 to 13% in 2008-2010 and 21% over the past three years.”

Gallup observed that the United States nevertheless “remains a religious nation, with more than seven in 10 affiliating with some type of organized religion.”

Gallup attributed the declining churchgoing statistic to the rising number of Americans who identify as religiously unaffiliated, noting that less than half have a formal membership with a specific house of worship.

Gallup also predicted the declining numbers of the formally religious will continue, given the trends among younger Americans. “While it is possible that part of the decline seen in 2020 was temporary and related to the coronavirus pandemic, continued decline in future decades seems inevitable, given the much lower levels of religiosity and church membership among younger versus older generations of adults,” they said.

According to the poll, 31% of millennials are religiously unaffiliated, up from 22% just 10 years ago. Among Generation Z that have become adults, 33% have no religious preference.

As Gallup reported:

The decline in church membership, then, appears largely tied to population change, with those in older generations who were likely to be church members being replaced in the U.S. adult population with people in younger generations who are less likely to belong. The change has become increasingly apparent in recent decades because millennials and Gen Z are further apart from traditionalists in their church membership rates (about 30 points lower) than baby boomers and Generation X are (eight and 16 points, respectively). Also, each year the younger generations are making up an increasingly larger part of the entire U.S. adult population.

Church membership has declined even among the older generations, however. The study observed that “each generation has seen a decline in church membership among those who do affiliate with a specific religion. These declines have ranged between six and eight points over the past two decades for traditionalists, baby boomers and Generation X who identify with a religious faith.”

Gallup also touched on the rate at which churches are closing, writing, “While precise numbers of church closures are elusive, a conservative estimate is that thousands of U.S. churches are closing each year.”

FBD
03-31-2021, 12:10 PM
The church covering for their pedos mighta had something to do with it, just move the problem somewhere else and let them continue instead of addressing it. The globalists took over the vatican, both should be dismantled

PorkChopSandwiches
03-31-2021, 03:11 PM
Strange

deebakes
03-31-2021, 03:53 PM
:woot:

Godfather
04-01-2021, 06:05 AM
I don't have any friends my age in the city who go to church, many of them have never even been to church (I remember at my wedding several told me that's the first time they'd been to mass :lol: ). I know far more people in rural areas who still go. I can only guess why that is, something about the pace of life in the city and all the other distractions?

My dad and his siblings are all devout Roman Catholics like their Italian immigrant parent. We went to church and Sunday school growing up but just sort of stopped shortly after moving out except for the major holidays. Maybe part of it is the acts of the church turning me off the institution, but I honestly don't even think that's was it. My dad says "you'll want to go back when you have a family" but that feels unlikely.

FBD
04-01-2021, 11:21 AM
heh, mom made us all go, until one sunday dad revolted, and us kids joined in the revolt and none of us ever went back except for funerals

PorkChopSandwiches
04-01-2021, 03:25 PM
I was forced to go, including Christian school. I found the best cure for Christianity is reading the bible (Mark Twain)

Teh One Who Knocks
04-01-2021, 03:41 PM
I was forced to go too when I was a kid (Catholic). After I was old enough, my mom actually let me make the choice and I decided that I didn't want to go.

FBD
04-01-2021, 03:50 PM
I was forced to go, including Christian school. I found the best cure for Christianity is reading the bible (Mark Twain)

same, and then I went and read all of the materials that were stricken from "the church's" canon :evil:

PorkChopSandwiches
04-01-2021, 03:52 PM
I love when you talk to Christians and you bring up slavery or women being property and they are like....well that's the old testament...WTF :lol:

FBD
04-01-2021, 03:57 PM
what, you mean you cant just pick and choose which parts of a story you want to like and adhere to? :lol: Jewish history doesnt need to be part of Christian history, but the following of Jesus was merely like the band in Animal House when the Stork (council of nicea) took out the majorette

PorkChopSandwiches
04-01-2021, 04:01 PM
If you go to church you notice how curated the message from the bible always is. :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-01-2021, 04:05 PM
When we first moved to Vermont after my parents split, that's when my mom started to drag us all to church. The church we went to was an old Catholic church and there was still one old school priest there that still did one mass per week in original Latin.

FBD
04-01-2021, 04:06 PM
dang, that's really old school

PorkChopSandwiches
04-01-2021, 04:16 PM
When we first moved to Vermont after my parents split, that's when my mom started to drag us all to church. The church we went to was an old Catholic church and there was still one old school priest there that still did one mass per week in original Latin.

Thats the way to get the kids interested

deebakes
04-02-2021, 12:29 AM
shalom bitches

Godfather
04-02-2021, 02:38 AM

Our priest was this 80 year old Mexican man. He didn't give mass in Latin but I couldn't understand a word he said with his accent, so that did not contribute to my interest in going to mass :lol:

Dude also owned two Jags from family money... don't have to be very old to understand the irony in a devout catholic priest preaching humility and charity, then flying by you on the highway home Sunday morning in an $80,000 Jag convertible wearing a flat cap hat like Samuel L Jackson.

Godfather
04-02-2021, 03:23 AM
Funny though, I don't regret or begrudge being raised Catholic, do you guys?

I think it grounded me. I'm not someone who believes for a second that atheists can't have equally strong or stronger moral compasses and I've been reading about stoicism recently which has my little smooth brain ticking, but I think I got some good values from going to church with my dad.

KevinD
04-02-2021, 03:30 AM
I was raised Southern Baptist. Early years we studied the old testament. I still hold to a bit of the old. King James is for pussies.

FBD
04-02-2021, 11:38 AM
Funny though, I don't regret or begrudge being raised Catholic, do you guys?

I think it grounded me. I'm not someone who believes for a second that atheists can't have equally strong or stronger moral compasses and I've been reading about stoicism recently which has my little smooth brain ticking, but I think I got some good values from going to church with my dad.

my moral compass is mostly from my grandfather...he was a devout catholic, but that wasnt the reason. he was an ol stoic too, hones to the point where when he was working on great gram's house he found a bunch of cash that ggramp stashed away, he promptly gave it to great gram. mom made some passing comment to him how he could have kept it and nobody would have known - his response was *I* would have known. lots of lil stories like that, growing up as kids we always knew that if there was any question, just think about what you'd do if pop was standing there, and you'd know what was right and what wasnt. I was glad I got to tell him that before he passed, away, and chuckled at his ultra stoic response....turns his head halfway to me, nods, and says "thank you" and that was it :lol: