PDA

View Full Version : Texas mom accused of killing son to collect insurance money

Teh One Who Knocks
04-02-2021, 11:57 AM
By Kenneth Garger - New York Post

https://i.imgur.com/NhKZtYf.jpg

A Houston mother is accused of killing her 6-year-old son with a lethal mix of drugs in order to collect his life insurance money, a report said.

Ashley Marks, 25, was busted Wednesday for the June 2020 overdose death of her son, Jason Sanchez- Marks, and charged with capital murder, KHOU 11 reported.

“I believe she poisoned her child to cash in on two life insurance policies she took out on her son a month prior to his death,” Gilbert Sawtelle, a prosecutor at the Harris County District Attorney’s Office said, according to the report.

Marks, a licensed insurance agent in Texas, allegedly fed her son a lethal dose of methamphetamine and multiple over-the-counter drugs, prosecutors said.

Soon before his death, the boy and his 4-year-old sister had been living with their grandfather after they were diagnosed with tuberculosis. The mother would visit to give them medicine, which his sister refused to take, according to the report.

“The grandfather said he repeatedly contacted the mother over a two-day period notifying her that the 6-year-old child was ill, but neither the mother nor grandfather sought medical attention for the 6-year-old as the child’s condition worsened,” according to a Child Protective Services report obtained by the outlet.

The boy was then found by grandfather unresponsive on June 27.

The grandfather called the police, but by the time they arrived, the child was dead.

Ashley Marks was denied bail at her Thursday arraignment.

RBP
04-03-2021, 06:20 PM
Wait, back up. A 4 year and a 6 year old both with TB? Why were they at the grandfathers? And who issued life insurance policies on 2 kids with TB?

Teh One Who Knocks
04-03-2021, 08:11 PM
Wait, back up. A 4 year and a 6 year old both with TB? Why were they at the grandfathers? And who issued life insurance policies on 2 kids with TB?Not to mention, who puts life insurance on kids that young to begin with?

PorkChopSandwiches
04-05-2021, 04:47 PM
Not to mention, who puts life insurance on kids that young to begin with?

Seems pretty clear her intentions

Godfather
04-06-2021, 02:10 AM
Ya I don't know shit about life insurance, but why would life insurance exist for children? Life insurance like all insurance is supposed to protect you from financial hardship and put you in a similar position you'd have been without the loss. Makes sense if you lose a spouse and their income but what is the rationale behind life insurance for children existing, save for maybe funeral costs?

lost in melb.
04-06-2021, 02:49 AM
Indeed

deebakes
04-06-2021, 03:33 AM
my employer had a benefit for child life insurance of $10,000 as a way to offset funeral costs that was included at no cost to us

Godfather
04-07-2021, 04:04 AM
my employer had a benefit for child life insurance of $10,000 as a way to offset funeral costs that was included at no cost to us

Ya I think my employer has something similar, $10 or $25k for dependents. The world shouldn't have people that are sick and evil enough to mandate this sort of thing, but maybe insurance regulators actually need a cap on life insurance limits available for children...