PDA

View Full Version : Biden to nominate gun control advocate as ATF director

Teh One Who Knocks
04-08-2021, 10:29 AM
BY MORGAN CHALFANT - The Hill

https://i.imgur.com/j3HbRwKl.jpg

President Biden is expected to nominate David Chipman, an adviser at the gun control group Giffords, to serve as his director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), multiple people familiar with the plans confirmed Wednesday.

Chipman spent more than two decades as a special agent working for ATF and currently works as a senior policy adviser for Giffords, a gun control group formed by former Rep. Gabby Giffords (D-Ariz.), who survived a 2011 mass shooting at a shopping center outside Tucson.

The Associated Press and Washington Post first reported on Chipman’s expected nomination to lead ATF, a federal law enforcement body housed within the Department of Justice.

A senior administration official subsequently confirmed Biden’s plans, pointing to Chipman’s extensive experience as an ATF agent.

“He has 25 years of experience at the ATF. He helped with the 1993 World Trade Center bombing and Oklahoma City bombing investigations. He has overseen complex firearm trafficking cases. Most recently, he has worked to advance common sense gun safety policies. There is no one better to lead ATF right now. He will help the federal government better enforce our gun laws while also protecting the Second Amendment,” the official said on a call with reporters.

If confirmed, Chipman would be the first permanent director of ATF since 2015. His nomination is expected to be welcomed by gun safety advocates and comes as Biden is preparing a series of executive actions on guns.

Biden is expected to announce the executive actions to curb gun violence on Thursday. Representatives from gun safety groups are expected to attend the announcement.

The announcements will come just shy of a month after Merrick Garland was confirmed as attorney general.

Biden has been under pressure to take action to address gun violence in the wake of multiple mass shootings last month, including one that targeted massage parlors in the Atlanta area and another at a grocery store in Boulder, Colo., that killed 10 people.

Chipman will need to be confirmed by the 50-50 Senate, where Democrats have a slight edge with Vice President Harris breaking tie votes.

Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) commended Chipman’s qualifications in a statement reacting to reports of his nomination on Wednesday.

“David’s extensive law enforcement experience, including twenty-five years at the agency he’s been nominated to lead, is exactly what ATF needs after six years without a permanent director,” said Blumenthal, who sits on the Senate Judiciary Committee. “David has not only served on the front-lines in the fight against gun violence, he knows the policies of prevention backwards and forwards. ATF needs permanent leadership, having had only one Senate-confirmed director since 2006. I look forward to quick Senate action on this nomination.”

FBD
04-08-2021, 11:49 AM
Its amazing the explosion of shootings we've had since they decided ok its time to push gun control

PorkChopSandwiches
04-08-2021, 03:33 PM
perfect

Griffin
09-09-2021, 04:28 PM
White House will withdraw David Chipman's nomination as head of ATF

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/09/politics/david-chipman-nomination-withdrawn/index.html

PorkChopSandwiches
09-09-2021, 04:34 PM
:haha:

deebakes
09-10-2021, 02:08 AM
:shock:

DemonGeminiX
09-10-2021, 03:29 AM
Apparently, we were loud enough this time.

lost in melb.
09-10-2021, 06:27 AM
Looks like a win for you guys

Griffin
09-10-2021, 12:54 PM
I can't imagine why they were so intent on filling a seat that has been empty more than occupied:rolleyes:

DemonGeminiX
09-10-2021, 01:20 PM
They're trying to find a place for Chipman inside the administration that doesn't require Senate approval.

Muddy
09-10-2021, 01:52 PM
Ever since Obama was elected president, gun sales have gone through the friggin roof.

DemonGeminiX
09-10-2021, 04:49 PM
The Democrats have been the greatest gun salesmen in the history of this nation.

Pony
09-10-2021, 07:49 PM
The Democrats have been the greatest gun salesmen in the history of this nation.

Yep, How is that fear tactic working out for them? It was crazy how busy the shop was when I was there. Lots of first time buyers.

lost in melb.
09-11-2021, 03:54 AM
Enjoy that before the government takes them all back :haha:

DemonGeminiX
09-11-2021, 04:45 AM

They won't.

lost in melb.
09-11-2021, 04:51 AM
They won't.

No kidding.

Pony
09-11-2021, 11:41 AM

The little subcompact pistol I bought would be considered an "assault weapon" and on the ban list if they pass any of the regulations I have seen proposed.

lost in melb.
09-11-2021, 12:45 PM
The little subcompact pistol I bought would be considered an "assault weapon" and on the ban list if they pass any of the regulations I have seen proposed.

Yeah but they never do, and they won't :dunno:

DemonGeminiX
09-11-2021, 01:04 PM
Yeah but they never do, and they won't :dunno:

They keep trying, which is a violation of their oaths of office. And with the indoctrination currently going on in our schools...

lost in melb.
09-11-2021, 04:22 PM
They've been complaining about universities being places of indoctrination since the 60s. Your weapons still seem to have survived in your hands.

It's just virtue signalling to the flock, which I suspect the latest abortion laws in Texas are as well.

DemonGeminiX
09-11-2021, 04:51 PM
They've been complaining about universities being places of indoctrination since the 60s. Your weapons still seem to have survived in your hands.

It's just virtue signalling to the flock, which I suspect the latest abortion laws in Texas are as well.

No, it's bigger than that now. It's more than just universities. No one tried to indoctrinate me into any political philosophy at any of the colleges that I attended when I was there. Professors largely kept to the topics that they were supposed to teach. Which is the way it's supposed to be. But it's not that way anymore. It's not just student activism on college campuses. And it's not just at the institutes of higher learning anymore. It's in the school systems now. The elementary, middle, and high schools. They're trying to indoctrinate these younger kids. Lance has been posting article after article about it.

lost in melb.
09-12-2021, 05:56 AM
I was specifically just talking about gun laws.

Yeah, somethings afoot in the school system. Worth keeping an eye on.

DemonGeminiX
09-12-2021, 10:07 AM
I was specifically just talking about gun laws.

Yeah, somethings afoot in the school system. Worth keeping an eye on.

Well, yeah. If they're indoctrinating in general, then specific issues more than likely would be covered as well.