PDA

View Full Version : Australia is reviewing China’s ownership of key port: Report

Teh One Who Knocks
05-04-2021, 10:31 AM
By Jason Scott | Bloomberg

https://i.imgur.com/sOy7E7L.png

Defence Minister Peter Dutton has confirmed his department is reviewing the ownership by a Chinese company of a strategically important port used as a base for U.S. Marines.

The National Security Committee of Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s Cabinet had asked the defense department to advise on the ownership, Dutton said in an interview with the Sydney Morning Herald published late Sunday. Asked whether the government was mulling forced divestment, the minister said it would consider the national interests.

The move is likely to further increase tensions between Australia and its largest trading partner China, which have nosedived since the call by Morrison’s government a year ago for Beijing to allow independent investigators into Wuhan to probe the origins of the coronavirus.

The Northern Territory government’s deal in 2015 to sell a long-term lease to the Port of Darwin to Chinese firm Landbridge Group has been criticized by security experts. It came four years after then President Barack Obama secured a deal to base about 2,500 Marines in Darwin, which is on the doorstep of the Indo-Pacific.

China has slammed Australia’s decision last month to use new laws to cancel the Belt-and-Road agreements with the Victorian state government. There has been increasing speculation Morrison may use the laws, passed in December, to scrap long-term leases held by Chinese companies at the ports in Darwin and Newcastle.

“In relation to the Port of Darwin, if there is any advice that I receive from the Department of Defence or intelligence agencies that suggest there are national security risks there, then you would expect the government to take action on that,” Morrison said in a radio interview Friday.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-04-2021, 03:07 PM
Get em out

FBD
05-04-2021, 03:09 PM
its not a good idea to let foreigners control your ports

PorkChopSandwiches
05-04-2021, 03:24 PM
No shit

Teh One Who Knocks
05-04-2021, 03:26 PM
Gotta be careful, if Uncle Joe gets any ideas that this can be done, he might sell the Port of Los Angeles to the Chinese.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-04-2021, 03:27 PM
Hes probably already working on it.

FBD
05-04-2021, 03:38 PM
Hes probably already working on it.

Already done and already btfo by Trump

The Obama administration proudly signed the agreement in 2012 giving China control of America's second-largest container port behind the nearby Port of Los Angeles.

https://www.universalcargo.com/u-s-forces-china-out-of-port-of-long-beach-terminal-ownership/
U.S. Forces China Out of Port of Long Beach Terminal Ownership

lost in melb.
05-04-2021, 11:25 PM
Get em out

Yes. Best to nip an infestation in the bud.

The Monk
05-06-2021, 01:55 AM
I watched a documentary a while back that made mention of how China is working on establishing itself in countries worldwide including many ports. They say the aim is expand trade but it smacks of preparing bases for something more sinister. I daresay there are conspiracists that will elaborate on this.

lost in melb.
05-06-2021, 04:34 AM
I'm not that worried about the Chinese. Basically nobody likes them...

FBD
05-06-2021, 11:31 AM
I watched a documentary a while back that made mention of how China is working on establishing itself in countries worldwide including many ports. They say the aim is expand trade but it smacks of preparing bases for something more sinister. I daresay there are conspiracists that will elaborate on this.

Check out their activities in Africa. Your statement is quite pale truth.

FBD
05-06-2021, 06:17 PM
Already done and already btfo by Trump

https://www.universalcargo.com/u-s-forces-china-out-of-port-of-long-beach-terminal-ownership/
U.S. Forces China Out of Port of Long Beach Terminal Ownership

that was right around the time of this
port also involved
https://i.imgur.com/iKwE5kd.jpg
lease holder of the raided bld was allison mack's atty, port security was raided also