PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have favorite biographies/memoirs?

Godfather
05-16-2021, 05:58 AM
I'm into biographies right now. Read some from people in business and some modern leaders, as well as a few comedians or really anyone who seems interesting.

Anyone got some favorites they can share?

FBD
05-16-2021, 01:19 PM
Maybe not quite biographies in a strict sense since they're about more than 1 person, but

what was that Guns n Roses book called (:-k believe it was called "watch you bleed: the saga of guns n roses")

and

Boys Will Be Boys, about the 80s Cowboys that were such superstars that they were let run amok by management
(my favorite quote from Nate Newton, regarding them getting busted for having a house they partied like mad and banged hookers in: "we werent all out over the town. yeah we ran some whores up in here. we were just trying to be responsible.")

both very entertaining reads

DemonGeminiX
05-16-2021, 03:18 PM
I've only read two biographies, and they were gifts: 'Moving Violations' by John Hockenberry and '18 and Life on Skid Row' by Sebastian Bach.

They were alright, I guess. I'm just not really much for biographies.

KevinD
05-16-2021, 08:50 PM
Sun Tzu

KevinD
05-16-2021, 08:52 PM
For real though, the last biography I read was a bit ago. The world's fastest Indian.

lost in melb.
05-17-2021, 12:50 AM
Albert Speer: His Battle with Truth

Albert Speer was not only Hitler's architect and armaments minister, but the Fuhrer's closest friend--his "unhappy love." Speer was one of the few defendants at the Nuremberg Trials to take responsibility for Nazi war crimes, even as he denied knowledge of the Holocaust

The Monk
05-17-2021, 07:23 AM
I've read dozens of biographies over the years as they are of great interest.

Just a few:-

Cecil Rhodes
Winston Churchill
Adolf Hitler
Bob Hawke
Anne Boelyn
Henry VIII
Michael Parkinson
Frank Sinatra
Gen Sir John Monash

I've got heaps left to go..... Just got a couple on Lucrezia Borgia.

There's plenty out there on ebook via torrents.... :thumbsup:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-17-2021, 08:47 PM
Maybe not quite biographies in a strict sense since they're about more than 1 person, but

what was that Guns n Roses book called (:-k believe it was called "watch you bleed: the saga of guns n roses")

I read SLASH, it was great

The Monk
05-18-2021, 01:56 AM
Another good one is Keith Richards - Life!

Godfather
05-19-2021, 05:56 AM
Thanks all! Seems like I should look into some of the classic rock biographies for sure, not something that was on my radar but tons of great tips now!