PDA

View Full Version : Marine's parents sued over sign of support in their Bossier City front yard

AntZ
07-25-2011, 11:16 AM
Marine's parents sued over sign of support in their Bossier City front yard

Published: Saturday, July 23, 2011, 6:30 PM
By The Associated Press

A south Bossier City homeowners association has sued to force a family to remove a front yard sign supporting their son's military service because it violated subdivision covenants.

The Times reports that the Gardens of Southgate filed the suit this month against Timothy and Jodi Burr, who have lived in the subdivision since 2006. The Burrs placed a large multicolored banner with a picture of their 20-year-old son, Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Corey Burr, and the phrase "Our son defends our freedom" in January after Corey Burr was deployed to Afghanistan.

Jodi Burr says her family will fight the suit and do not intend to remove the sign.

An attorney representing the association, declined to comment.

The Burrs contend signs supporting a school or team are visible throughout the neighborhood.

http://www.nola.com/military/index.ssf/2011/07/marines_parents_sued_over_sign.html

Teh One Who Knocks
07-25-2011, 11:44 AM
As asinine as the lawsuit is, I bet the family loses...everyone knows ahead of time what the rules of their respective HOA is and unfortunately if it's against the rules, it's gonna have to go.

I would bet that it is only one or two people though that complained about it to the HOA. Gotta love the neighborhood troublemakers :rolleyes:

Loser
07-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Fuck associations.

The association of asshats around my lake complain to me on a daily basis because I won't join and pay dues.

My simple question to them is, what will or have you ever done for me since I've moved in? No one can answer that question.

I own my property, they do not.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Yeah, but you don't have that option if you want to move into all these newer built neighborhoods. If you want to buy the house, you must join and abide by the HOA.

Hal-9000
07-25-2011, 07:26 PM
"because it violated subdivision covenants..." I wonder what those covenants were?

and

My buddy is a proud condo owner and has become infamous in his group because he stuck up for himself during some recent renovations.
He called the local news, complained at condo meetings...he has been as close to blackballed as you can be without being outright ignored.

and you know what? I read some of his correspondence and they were so far wrong regarding issues and the way they treated him, he could probably have a viable court case.